really dumb article on GN screen cracks from cnet

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Is this the Nexus Blair Witch Project?

Maybe it is the cold weather, try to gather data and see if the majority of those having the crack issue are having the issue after it's been taken from a warm environment to a very cold environment.

Now I'm afraid to go outside! =P

cupfulloflol

Reaction score
Anyone who has seen IT crowd knows you never put a phone in a shirt pocket.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Poor Moss. haha love that show. I wish their seasons weren't so short.

Sorry for going off topic but this is what I was thinking about when I read it as well.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
My GN screen hair line cracked mysteriously. [video=youtube;7rkz36Q-xZY]http://youtu.be/7rkz36Q-xZY[/video]
Others have no idea how it’s happened to their phones as well!
[Q] Hairline crack "under" the screen. - xda-developers

Maybe it’s the new fortified glass design that’s flawed?
Maybe it’s weather related, from indoor to cold outdoors?
Maybe it’s just a bad design overall?

I just want to warn others of it’s extreme fragility.

i find zero credibility with this fruitcake. the vid sounds like the blair witch project with slam poetry added in. he doesn't even show the phone.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I dont know but if I pay 200+ for a phone ima spend the extra $25 for a case and go ahead and get the insurance just in case. But that is just me.

maybememe

Reaction score
i find zero credibility with this fruitcake. the vid sounds like the blair witch project with slam poetry added in. he doesn't even show the phone.

Attached are photos.

Just got word from the communications manager at BestBuy...

Ian, an editor at Mobile Syrup, who I contacted, connected me. He has also contacted Samsung for comment.
Will post back when I hear more.

IMG_19800105_205815.jpgIMG_19800105_210107.jpg

Jang, Danielle (Best Buy Canada)
6:08 PM (10 minutes ago)
cleardot.gif
cleardot.gif

cleardot.gif
to me, Ian
cleardot.gif

So sorry to hear about this Bryan. I will look into this with the mobile team and get back to you.

Danielle

Sent from my iPad

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I dont know but if I pay 200+ for a phone ima spend the extra $25 for a case and go ahead and get the insurance just in case. But that is just me.

I think a lot of these guys are saying they haven't dropped the phone, it's apparently occurring in very cold areas. They're thinking it may be the temperature difference causing a crack in the same place, they all seem to get it in nearly the same location which is a bit odd.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think a lot of these guys are saying they haven't dropped the phone, it's apparently occurring in very cold areas. They're thinking it may be the temperature difference causing a crack in the same place, they all seem to get it in nearly the same location which is a bit odd.

hmmm. interesting it may or may not be something to that. I guess we will see.

maybememe

Reaction score
Attached an auto-corrected version of the photo above via paint.net.

The red border shows what it looks like from that particular angle.

Straight on, with the phone turned on, it's hard to see, almost impossible.
But at the right angle, or with the phone turned off, it shows up.

hairline_crack_galaxy_nexus_defective.jpg

I'll take more pics of the flawless rest of the phone, evidence I am telling the truth, and DID NOT DROP OR BEND the phone. It didn't even go in my pants pocket. Just my xl leather jacket over-sized pocket which I have carried my Nexus One in with no issue for the last two months since I got the jacket from a friend.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I refuse to tell someone that something isnt so cuz it hasnt happen to me yet. My luck we bash them then later next week when its real cold it happens to me. All I say is if its real lets get to the bottom of it so if it does happen to other customers we can have a record of it.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well that stinks. I'm lucky mine hasn't cracked, but considering the pretty extreme drop in temperatures this week I'll keep a look out for my phone

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Now I'm scared.. Hope it doesn't happen to me.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Cracked screen.

http://attachments.xda-developers.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=840595&d=1325594484

I had a crack in THIS exact same position on my Gnex. Purchased it 12/23, didn't open box till 12/25 and activated the phone. Screen saver and Incipio dual case went on same day. The next day, the phone was on the table when I noticed, what I thought was a poorly installed screen saver, so changed it and all seemed well. Until phone caught the light in just the right way and there it was, a crack in the underside of the screen. Very thin, but none the less there. I lived with it for a little, then decided to stop by our Verizon Corporate store to document the situation and they replaced it with a new one. The first person couldn't see it but was willing to to do an insurance claim. The second person did see it and took care of it.

OP
GalaxyFlatulence
Reaction score
Attached an auto-corrected version of the photo above via paint.net.

The red border shows what it looks like from that particular angle.

Straight on, with the phone turned on, it's hard to see, almost impossible.
But at the right angle, or with the phone turned off, it shows up.

View attachment 46094

I'll take more pics of the flawless rest of the phone, evidence I am telling the truth, and DID NOT DROP OR BEND the phone. It didn't even go in my pants pocket. Just my xl leather jacket over-sized pocket which I have carried my Nexus One in with no issue for the last two months since I got the jacket from a friend.

everyone puts out a defective product. it's covered with a one year warranty for factory defects....so get it replaced. what's the big deal?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yeah we just want to make sure its a knowm issue so if one of us do go to vzw with the issue they dont get called a liar and being told that it was cause by mishandling.

maybememe

Reaction score
I was told by Bestbuy Canada that it looked like physical damage, and Samsung told me to talk to Bestbuy. I think I have spoken to 8 dif people. Many of us, myself included, have been given a major run around. Only Verizon seems to have helped anybody with this. Oh and one person posted that a friend of theirs who works at the T-Mobile store said it was a "known issue".

I do know that I now have BestBuy corporate communications manager looking into the local management handling of this, thanks to the MobileSyrup blog editor Ian who put me in touch, and who has also contacted Samsung for US for comment/solution, before taking things further. I will keep y'all updated as to the progress on this.

It's taken US A LOT of work just to get heard.