Really considering returning mine

DrElwinRansom

Reaction score
Ok. I'm not typically the "buyer's remorse" kind of person, but after a week with the phone the problems are accruing.

1) I've tried every trick that I know of to condition the battery; for instance, I've spent time trying to bump charge it (even though it's supposedly not necessary). Still, I get somewhere between 4 and 12 hours of battery time. Quite a span! I was thrilled that I got 12 hours one day, but it was with some relatively light usage; 5-6 hours has been my average with what I think is pretty moderate usage (a few apps, a couple games for a few minutes, a little browser action), with my heaviest usage bringing it down to 4 hours. I was resigned but slightly discontent to that battery perfomance before today: during my 30 minute lunch break I went from nearly charged to 74%. I listened to a couple songs through my bluetooth headset, and I loaded a Droid Forums page. The real culprit, I think, was that my phone spent about 3-4 minutes in the safety of my breast pocket while I was in my hot car driving to the store -- my phone was rather toasty when I returned from grabbing lunch, and I know that kills battery life, but sheesh...everyone runs to the store with their phones in the summer time and no one expects it to take a quarter of their battery life.

2) So I was already wondering if I had a problem with this device. Then this morning after bootup I manually refreshed Gmail (why hadn't it automatically refreshed overnight like it usually does?). Then when I tried to open Google Talk, the login screen appeared for a split second and was gone, no error message. I tried it a few times, same thing. I tried force stopping from "manage applications". No help. I tried clearing data. No help. I finally had to reboot to get it to work.

3) Then this afternoon, after spending a little time with the phone off, I booted up (so quick...I do love that) and immediately on bootup I got a force close on Maps and Google Music, without touching anything but the lockscreen. Whaa...? When that sort of thing happened on my OG Droid it was usually because I had a bad custom ROM scrambling things up.

I'm getting nervous. It's only been a week...are things just going to go downhill from here? Do I try to get them to replace it, or should I just return it and look for another phone?

Last edited:

imTousey

Reaction score
I get about 2 full days of life on a full charge with average usage... When I got my phone, i remember having a few problems with the phone, mostly lag. They all worked themselves out after awhile. I'd probably get a replacement if possible. That way you can see if its just your phone or not. It'd save you the ~$30 restocking fee.

OP
D

DrElwinRansom

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. So you get one exchange free of the restocking fee?

micjmac

Reaction score
I posted this in another thread. This usage is by no means what I would describe as stellar, but after speaking with another forum member it seems to be the norm. I posted this within the first week of purchasing the phone. If I were you, I would exchange the phone under the warranty.

----------------------------------------------------------

"Ok. I'm back to report my battery results for the day.

-11 hours since unplugged
-Battery life remaining: 50%

Here is the breakdown of my battery consumption:

-Voice calls: 53% (Time on: 53 minutes)
-Display: 29% (Time On: 58 minutes)
-Cell Standby: 7%
-Phone Idle: 6%
-Android System: 3%
-Internet: 2%
----------------------
Total: 100%

Additional information:
-Total Texts received/sent: 65
-Screen brightness: 25%
-Pandora stream time: 1 hour max
-GPS Enabled; WIFI Disabled
-Weather Sync every 3 hours
-Gmail Auto Sync (there is no option that I am aware of to tell Gmail at what rate to sync...there is just a check mark to turn the sync on or off)
-Backup Assistant Sync (every afternoon 12PM - 6PM)

Personal thoughts:
The battery level dropped by at least 10% while idling for 7 hours today. According to the DINC2 specs on Verizon's site, this phone is capable of idling for days on end. Yah right...

I am also not happy burning through approximately 25% (= 53% of battery's consumption * 50% battery level consumed) of my battery level from just 53 minutes worth of phone calls. I bought the phone this past Tuesday (just to give you perspective on the age of the battery)."

imTousey

Reaction score

Yeah, you should be able to go in and tell them you're having problems with your phone, and they will replace it with another Inc2. I think it has to be within the first 14 days though. I had to do that with my old phone (Droid X) when I first bought it and they replaced it with no hassle.

Also, if the problems with the apps end up working themselves out and the only problem is your battery life, try only charging the phone once the battery is almost completely dead. I had major problems with the battery for the first couple of weeks I had the phone, but I kept this habit and now I couldn't be happier with it. I have >60% battery life by the end of the day most of the time.

Last edited:

micjmac

Reaction score

Yeah, you should be able to go in and tell them you're having problems with your phone, and they will replace it with another Inc2. I think it has to be within the first 14 days though. I had to do that with my old phone (Droid X) when I first bought it and they replaced it with no hassle.

Oh if you are within the first 14 days, then it should be no problem at all, but as I said above, if you are outside of the 14 days, then you have a one year warranty to work with.

Reaction score
Yesterday I had a problem with gmail too, might have been a Verizon or Google issue. My email stopped pushing in the morning and I had to do a manual sync in the evening. My computer at work is always on my email so I didn't notice it.

Even this morning I had to do a manual sync but it seems to be okay now.

DROID MONSTER

Reaction score
I turn back ground data off on my phone and it really helps a lot

Sent from my ADR6350 using DroidForums