Real Reason For the Delay?

pattikate

Reaction score
Ok, so I've read something on another android website that worries me. Someone said he spoke with a verizon rep who told him the reason the Thunderbolt is being delayed is due to tech issues with connection and battery life. This person stated that in testing, the Thunderbolt's battery dies within an hour of being connected to 4G. He claims they're trying to work out glitches. I sure hope that is exaggerated, because an hour of battery life is unacceptable.

Assuming that is just an unfounded far-fetched rumor, is anyone concerned about the Thunderbolt's battery capacity? How do you think a 1400 mAH battery will hold up?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
You do realize since a date was never announce its not actually delayed??
Only thing that's been officially said is Q1 2011, so still got a whole month before it can be said its been delayed.

Sent from somewhere...

shortsxit

Reaction score
You do realize since a date was never announce its not actually delayed??
Only thing that's been officially said is Q1 2011, so still got a whole month before it can be said its been delayed.

Sent from somewhere...

Wasn't the announcement Q2/possibly March?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
TB was Q1.....march is still first quarter so got time. The new Droid line is due in Q2 though.

Sent from somewhere...

guitar923

Reaction score
I find it much easier to believe that Skype not working right is the problem. I've been running their latest beta releases on my Win Vista laptop for about a year now, and they are horrible, if you can get them to work at all.

wisdroid

Reaction score
Verizon employee here: I was with tech support for the past 2 years and now manage a retail store. As far as the company is concerned, it absolutely was an official delay. An announcement of an official release date was never made to consumers but it was made to all of the stores (Best Buy, corp retail, etc.), and that date was pushed from February 14th to the 24th and then there was rumor of the 28th, but the official memo came out earlier today, stating that the launch will be delayed and there is NO new ETA. In fact, my bet is that it may be a minute due to the fact that they have also ordered us to cease all orders of accessories for the TB for the time being. Neither I nor anyone I know still in tech support has heard anything about the craziness the OP spoke of dealing with 1 hour battery life (WTF??!!) or connectivity issues. The only valid issue we have been told is a possible delay due to Skype things being worked out correctly.

Shogun613

Reaction score
Verizon employee here: I was with tech support for the past 2 years and now manage a retail store. As far as the company is concerned, it absolutely was an official delay. An announcement of an official release date was never made to consumers but it was made to all of the stores (Best Buy, corp retail, etc.), and that date was pushed from February 14th to the 24th and then there was rumor of the 28th, but the official memo came out earlier today, stating that the launch will be delayed and there is NO new ETA. In fact, my bet is that it may be a minute due to the fact that they have also ordered us to cease all orders of accessories for the TB for the time being. Neither I nor anyone I know still in tech support has heard anything about the craziness the OP spoke of dealing with 1 hour battery life (WTF??!!) or connectivity issues. The only valid issue we have been told is a possible delay due to Skype things being worked out correctly.

If that's the case, the company needs to make some kind of announcement to curb all of this craziness regarding the release of this phone. Saying nothing just makes it look like some kind of PR disaster.

lapeter

Reaction score
I think this is one of the few current reliable comments. Thanks. I hope it come soon.

dbst

Reaction score
'black_man_x' a very reliable source on twitter, said one of the reasons was the network wasn't ready for the stress yet and it could cause the TB to reset in the middle of a call

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

wisdroid

Reaction score
'black_man_x' a very reliable source on twitter, said one of the reasons was the network wasn't ready for the stress yet and it could cause the TB to reset in the middle of a call

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Yeah thats true. I did hear that they were going to run out and upgrade a couple thousand 4g transmitters to be able to handle the load of 1 phone. LOL Whoever "Black_Man_X" is clearly has no clue how a mobile network even works. VZW would have far greater concerns, like a whole engineering department to fire immediately, if the 4g network couldn't handle the stress of 1 phone that won't use half the data that the tons of already active 4g mobile broadband cards are using. And fyi to Black_Man_X also, the network is still going to use the already existing CDMA 1X for voice coverage so the 4g network has absolutely nothing to do with phone calls. Just sayin.:icon_eek: