"Real life" with the Rezound

Jonas

Reaction score
Hey guys, its that time of the year again. When I run around the forums looking for what my upgrade is going to be. This year I'm considering the Rezound, but I have a few questions for you guys first.

First off, I live a very active lifestyle. I ride a motorcycle, constantly outdoors, running for sport, joining the military, etc. So I am needing a mildly rugged phone. I'm not expecting it to be the end all do all, but I don't wanna be picking up pieces if I do happen to drop it on the sidewalk or something.

Secondly, I have not heard of any problems with this radio. Is that true?

Third, this is more for the audiophiles; does beats actually ruin your music experience? I consider myself a bit experienced with my music, meaning I know what I like, and have heard poor things about the beats system from some professional reviews. (Not to offend anyone, of course)

Fourth, the developer threads seem to be pretty small. Is there a decent developer pool? I'm coming over from the D2G game, with a good bit of dev support, so I'm looking for the same. I am very familiar with CM7, Liberty, and Liquid smooth. I am very confident with the rooting/ROM flashing routine, I'm just wondering how frequently the ROMs for this phone are updated/improved.

So I hope I have covered most of the noob questions. And if this is already covered somewhere, and I just missed it, please feel free to post the link. Ill gladly read to be more informed.

Also, someone mentioned to me that the Rezound is global capable, but its a trial through VZW tech support to achieve this. Is this ture, first of all, and secondly, if it is, how easy is/does it have acceptable quality?

P.S. I am looking into the Droid 4, this phone, the Razr, and the Nexus. So if anyone has any experience with any of those, with the obvious exception of the D4, please post your comparisons. Apples to apples would really help me!

Sent from my Banana Phone

Primevyl

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
HTC Yin
Using nexus now.
Not a fan of ICS yet but I can tell you between the phones you're considering there will infinitesimal niche differences...good luck, none of them suck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Using nexus now.
Not a fan of ICS yet but I can tell you between the phones you're considering there will infinitesimal niche differences...good luck, none of them suck

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

Thanks. I'm sure whatever I end up with will be good, just trying to get a feel for each one.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
the razr is probably the most rugged of all the phone but would be my last choice. especially if you are active and not near power a lot, you can't have a spare battery like with the others. the droid 4 is probably very tough as well as motorola just builds tanks. if you are active your rezound will definitely need a good case.

the radio on my rezound is fantastic. i sat it next to my droid x and the rezound reliably drew a stronger signal. not by a ton but by 4-5ddbm steadily. this has been the general consensus that the rezound radio is fantastic.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Good. I'm hearing great things about the Rezound in general. I'm thinking if I do end up with the Rezound, or any of these for that matter, I will grab the Otterbox case for that phone, as my experience with them has been great.

How is the battery life on the Rezound? I text quite a lot (15,000+ sent a month), so I'm interested in a decent battery life.

Edit: you're right about the D4 being a tank. If its like my current D2G, then it will be great! But having a locked bootloader is nearly a deal killer for me. So I'm waiting to see how that plays out first. Since Motorola is notorious for locking their bootloader.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score
battery life is pretty good if you stick to 3G and do what you can with the screen brightness. keeping 4g on for me and the screen very bright can drain the battery very quickly with moderate usage.

3g only is just fine for what i need. if i tehter i will use 4g but be plugged in.

i find for outdoors the auto brightness is good but for nighttime and indoors it generally keeps the screen more bright than needed wasting precious battery life. i use a widget to bring it down to 15/20% for indoors/nighttime and then 5% while in bed reading articles. my lifestyle keeps me near a charger more often than not, whether a car or a wall plug. but what keeps me always prepared is a second standard battery in my wallet charged fully. i always like having that option.

i do like using a decent amount of widgets. Plume (a twitter widget), SpringPad note list, pure grid calendar, google voice, soundhound, extended controls, weatherbug, astrid task. but they really don't show up in my battery usage history as i keep their sync options relatively tame.

for trips from camping to weekend trips, i have a new trent battery charging station as well. i am paranoid about not having power!

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Yeah, I heard the camera is really good. And as for the battery, I have two spare batteries for my D2G that I use. Ones fully charged, and I keep with me a bit. Is an extra Rezound battery reasonably priced? I got my D2G ones for approx $6 shipping included.

cp24eva

Reaction score
the razr is probably the most rugged of all the phone but would be my last choice. especially if you are active and not near power a lot, you can't have a spare battery like with the others. the droid 4 is probably very tough as well as motorola just builds tanks. if you are active your rezound will definitely need a good case.

the radio on my rezound is fantastic. i sat it next to my droid x and the rezound reliably drew a stronger signal. not by a ton but by 4-5ddbm steadily. this has been the general consensus that the rezound radio is fantastic.

I'm sorry, did you say the RAZR was the most rugged of all? Did you mean to say the rezound? The RAZR of course is VERY thin (selling point to some) and wider than the Gnex or rezound. The RAZR is nice but I wouldn't say it's the most rugged.The Rezound on the other had actually feels more rugged. and yep, I know people say "but the Razr has gorrilla glass" But it can be scratched just like any other phone without protection.

The Gnex has issues with the battery door taking away from it's ruggedness and nice overall feel.

The rezound has a nice overall feel AND the heft and rugged feel to go along with it. and people say the Rezound is to big for them. It's bigger than the other tops phones on Verizon, but it's really not that bad. They make it seem like it's an old 1980 portable phone.

If you don't like bass, then beats isn't for you.

Great receptions EVERY. Tests through editorials and users alike have shown the rezound gets better reception indoors where SOME other phones fall off at.

Extended battery capable. Yes, the big battery isn't much to look at, but once it's in your hand, the contour feels nice.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
I'm sorry, did you say the RAZR was the most rugged of all? Did you mean to say the rezound? The RAZR of course is VERY thin (selling point to some) and wider than the Gnex or rezound. The RAZR is nice but I wouldn't say it's the most rugged.The Rezound on the other had actually feels more rugged. and yep, I know people say "but the Razr has gorrilla glass" But it can be scratched just like any other phone without protection.

The Gnex has issues with the battery door taking away from it's ruggedness and nice overall feel.

The rezound has a nice overall feel AND the heft and rugged feel to go along with it. and people say the Rezound is to big for them. It's bigger than the other tops phones on Verizon, but it's really not that bad. They make it seem like it's an old 1980 portable phone.

Great receptions EVERY. Tests through editorials and users alike have shown the rezound gets better reception indoors where SOME other phones fall off at.

Extended battery capable. Yes, the big battery isn't much to look at, but once it's in your hand, the contour feels nice.

Thanks for your detailed response. I can't imagine the Rezound only has deep bass. Can't that be solved with an equalizer program? The Rezound is looking like the phone for me.

cp24eva

Reaction score
You can most def fix the sound with power amp or some other eq program. The default sound isn't horrible at all. I like it. But folks that aren't into thick bass don't like it. Power amp is a great substitute.

All in all you won't be disappointed with the phone unless you get a dud. Then just get a replacement.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
You can most def fix the sound with power amp or some other eq program. The default sound isn't horrible at all. I like it. But folks that aren't into thick bass don't like it. Power amp is a great substitute.

All in all you won't be disappointed with the phone unless you get a dud. Then just get a replacement.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

The reason I ask, is I'm very music focused. That's a reason I'm looking at the Rezound. It looks very media friendly. I listen to anything from Bruno Mars to Jason Aldean, to We Came As Romans (props if you've even heard of them) to Aerosmith, and anything inbetween. So I really want a phone that's going to give me reliable sound quality.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
Add on DSP manager and you can make it sound however you want.

I completely agree with CP's evaluation of the Rezound. It has topped every other phone in almost every category. Development is moving along nicely and there are already several mature ROMs and kernels for the Rezound. Unlocking and rooting is a breeze for a vet, and probably the only thing you won't like coming from the D2G is Sense. But I'm not a fan either and ditched it a while ago.

Now while I love my phone as most people do, I will warn you that phones especially from Amazon and Best buy have a seemingly higher rate of return due to manufacturing issues. Light leakage, discolored buttons, intense heat, and never-ending boot looping to name a few of the major issues. Oh and this isn't an issue but it is still a gripe for me. The antennae are in the battery door.

idiotekniQues

Reaction score

i love the rezound and it's capabilities and am totally turned off to motorola after my droid x experience - but motorola build quality is for sure better than HTC. the razr is probably the most solid motorola phone i've held as well.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Beats is no more than a loudness button or "disco" setting on pre sets, very overrated. If you get a Rezound get Power Amp and forget the gimmick.
I've found the music player to be ok at best on every Android device without Power Amp to clean up the lack.
I put an extended battery on mine when I got it and have found with the phone being used (awake and active) at least 8 hours every day in low signal areas that the battery is more than enough. I leave screen on auto, power on performance, sleep on never BUT turn the 4g off when around wifi or the phone will be data usage idle for a while, using a widget. I believe that one thing is why my battery has no problem lasting all day . When I need 4g I turn it back on in a couple of seconds total with the widget but its off at least half the day. If my reception wasn't so weak I'd probably not need to toggle data like I do

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Sent from a Rezound phone via Blue TapaTalk