Real Life with the Nexus?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The Google Cloud is just for music (correct of wrong) but VERY easy, atleast on mac. you download the app; input your email and pass; upload you stuff and viola, done. i dont know of a service that lets your stream video like google music does for music. IF youre going to fill your phone up with movies and IF the Rezound supports 64gb card, then thats a huge +1 for th Rezound

There are services that can stream some of your cloud storage. Don't know if it's limited to just music, but Microsoft has 5gigs carved out of their 25gig free MS Live storage that you can stream (although, the morons limit you to 50-100megs per file). But with LTE phones you can use the cloud as an extension of your phone storage and download it pretty quickly as needed. That, of course, assumes you're in an area with a good 4G signal.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yeah it is. I have close to 40GB worth of media (movies/music). So I don't mind swapping out media, because obviously I won't listen to 13GB of music in one day, or watch 25GB worth of movies in a week. Thanks for the input guys! I just realized my thread to the Rzound board was never put in, so I'll probably fool with that tomorrow. You guys have been exceedingly helpful!

And nothing stops you from having multiple 32gig cards ($30-$40 each now). I just don't want to swap cards.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Despite all this, I'd say go for a D3. It won't disappoint since it's closer to the D1 in terms of design and toughness. This is one phone that works around the globe as well. Plenty of dev support around and the hard keyboard that got improved even more.
I really don't think a bleeding edge device is needed. A tough workhorse will more than suffice.

Rezound is right out due to Beats. Honestly, their so called audio signature is an unnatural bass boost and ear piercing treble. A DAP is supposed to be neutral, not spiked in midbass and treble. There are frequency response charts that explain this. Don't give me lip about how "it's the way artists intended music to be listened to". If you want good earphones, I'd suggest starting off with a Shure SE215(great vocals, good bass) or Westone 1(more neutral, stage/musician oriented). They're 2 great entry level stage monitors you can run around with and not worry too much about.

OP
Jonas

Jonas

Reaction score
Despite all this, I'd say go for a D3. It won't disappoint since it's closer to the D1 in terms of design and toughness. This is one phone that works around the globe as well. Plenty of dev support around and the hard keyboard that got improved even more.
I really don't think a bleeding edge device is needed. A tough workhorse will more than suffice.

Rezound is right out due to Beats. Honestly, their so called audio signature is an unnatural bass boost and ear piercing treble. A DAP is supposed to be neutral, not spiked in midbass and treble. There are frequency response charts that explain this. Don't give me lip about how "it's the way artists intended music to be listened to". If you want good earphones, I'd suggest starting off with a Shure SE215(great vocals, good bass) or Westone 1(more neutral, stage/musician oriented). They're 2 great entry level stage monitors you can run around with and not worry too much about.

Finally an audiophile! I'm glad you brought that up. I've heard rumors on head-fi.org that all beats does is boost bass, kill trebble, and market market market. I am looking into the v-moda crossfades for my pleasure listening, so the beats audio doesn't do much for me.

As for the suggestion on the D3, I already rock a D2G. If I want a D3, ill just "damage" this one, and my VZW store is already issuing D3 replacements. I kinda want the new cutting edge setup, because I feel the D3 will be outdated soon, and ill have this phone until this time next year. I'm not one of those guys that gets the new phone every time something drops.

Sent from my Banana Phone

prowler85

Reaction score
I recommend Google music one way or the other. Works great - I travel between Tucson and Phoenix all the time and never had it skip or drop once. It caches I believe so when started it comes on instantly with the last song that was playing. And the storage is pretty much unlimited - 20,000 songs, which by my calcs is over 100 GB. Don't know if they let you put up video, but I put all of my music there which leaves 25GB for video on my phone (though I am looking into finding other storage lockers to put some video). You can also pick songs/artists/albums to cache on your phone for when you'll be in a no-service zone.

All-in-all, another fantastic service from Google for free.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
Finally an audiophile! I'm glad you brought that up. I've heard rumors on head-fi.org that all beats does is boost bass, kill trebble, and market market market. I am looking into the v-moda crossfades for my pleasure listening, so the beats audio doesn't do much for me.

As for the suggestion on the D3, I already rock a D2G. If I want a D3, ill just "damage" this one, and my VZW store is already issuing D3 replacements. I kinda want the new cutting edge setup, because I feel the D3 will be outdated soon, and ill have this phone until this time next year. I'm not one of those guys that gets the new phone every time something drops.

Sent from my Banana Phone

I would push for the galaxy then, since it has voodoo kernel support. As far as I recall, voodoo's dev said that it had the best DAC chip to date, since the original sgs. Side by side, it was better than iPhone4S's audio(according to the dev, not me). My suggestion would be a heavy case for it as well, considering it's not exactly a motorola device.

If you're pushing towards V-MODA, the M80 is a relatively neutral set a lot like. The Sennheiser HD25II is also in that range though, as is the AIAIAI TMA-1. Both are built pretty well. It'd probably be best to post a question on head-fi though regarding this.

orion2001

Reaction score
OP, I own and love the GN, and my wife has the Rezound (which she loves). From what you've written in your first post, I would easily recommend the Rezound over the GN. The speakers on the GN are pretty bad. While the volume can be increased with apps like Volume+, it does result in distortion as the speakers really aren't all that great. Meanwhile, the speakers on the Rezound are really really awesome. So much so that my wife will sometimes listen to music via speakerphone in our living room, even though I have my HTPC hooked up for easy music access. Not saying they provide the same quality...but they are really good for speaker phones.

Also as far as being rugged goes, the Rezound feels like it would handle falls better. In any case, given your lifestyle, you should probably get a rugged phone case like the otterbox.

Lack of SD will also hurt you for music, etc. I've heard that the Rezound can even take in some of the 64GB cards! Google music is great, and works fairly well, but why waste extra battery streaming music, especially when you are outdoors for extended periods of time.

Also, my wife's Rezound definitely has better reception than my GN. While my specific GN doesn't have any of the dreaded reception issues that some people are having, it still isn't as good as my wife's Rezound. I've done lots of tests with both our phones and the Rezound has always had better speeds on 3G/4G from the same spot. The radio on it just seems to be better.

On the negative side, I think the Rezound's screen is very power hungry. I can get 3.5-4 hours of screen time on my GN. My wife will be lucky to have 2 hours before the phone needs recharging. Standby drain is okay...but not great thanks to all the bloatware running on the Rezound.

As for ROMs, the GN wins hands down. Over time I'm sure things will improve for the Rezound, but I've been keeping an eye on devs on the Rezound and most of the ROMs still have issues and I don't want my wife to have to suffer through a better performing but unstable ROM.

Dark_Jedi

Reaction score
So I understand you correctly when I say this is a global capable phone? With my job, I will more than likely be deployed, probably middle east, so I really would like a phone that works over there. If worse comes to worse, I do still have my D2G, but I don't want to have to revert back after dropping $200-300 on a phone.

Well based on the Military thing, i have been in the Army since 2005. I have been deployed a time or two, but if i was you, since your going to a be new private i wouldn't plan on going anywhere anytime soon dude. The war in Iraq is over and Afghanistan is prolly close to ending as well. Btw don't sound so enthused about deploying bro, its not really that fun, especially when u see your brothers die! Thats nothing to joke about, I'm not trying to be rude but it isn't like the movies lol. The middle east is unforgiving bro.

Now on the phone thing, I'm ditching my iPhone for the GNex!

skyshadow

Reaction score
And to think that I had an env touch just last year and I was worried cause it couldn't hold more than 100 messages, now we are talking on how this phone only holds x amount of movies. Its crazy how fast technology progresses. Come on guys its a phone not a 55 Sony led TV.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

hydro556

Reaction score
Well based on the Military thing, i have been in the Army since 2005. I have been deployed a time or two, but if i was you, since your going to a be new private i wouldn't plan on going anywhere anytime soon dude. The war in Iraq is over and Afghanistan is prolly close to ending as well. Btw don't sound so enthused about deploying bro, its not really that fun, especially when u see your brothers die! Thats nothing to joke about, I'm not trying to be rude but it isn't like the movies lol. The middle east is unforgiving bro.

Now on the phone thing, I'm ditching my iPhone for the GNex!

Thank you for saying that, I was hoping someone would.