Ready to root...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by cadre.9, Jan 27, 2012.

1. cadre.9

cadre.9 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Hi. I've had my DX for a year now and I'm ready to try rooting it. I'm reading all I can find about rooting (although most of the instructions assume the reader knows terminology like "bootloading", "SBFing", "flashing", etc. I'm trying to learn). I'm a little apprehensive because this is my only phone and I've read dozens of posts by users having frustrating problems trying to root.

One thing I'm curious about is backing up everything before rooting. I know how to copy the SD card data to my computer but how can I back up stuff that's not on the card? Also, after rooting would I have to set up all my accounts again, like email, Facebook, Twitter, Groupon, etc.? And would I lose all my accumulated text messages? Most of the instructions I see don't address these issues.

Thanks for any advice.

cadre

2. lowvolt

lowvolt Member

Ratings:
    +6
    I rooted my DX awhile back. I don't think I lost anything. I did a one touch root. Meaning I used a computer program to do it. After you root you can download Titanium back up from the market and do a nandroid back up of the entire phone. You shouldn't need to back up before rooting. Back up before installing custom roms though if you choose to install any that is.

From my rooted, bricked, sbf'd, rooted again and flashed DROIDX

3. cadre.9

cadre.9 Member

Ratings:
    +4
    Ooooh. Surely I've misunderstood the concept; I thought rooting wiped the phone clean (I've seen it compared to reformatting a computer's hard drive). Mind if I ask what program you used?

cadre

4. lowvolt

lowvolt Member

Ratings:
    +6
    It is called pete's Motorola Root tools. Basically you plug the phone in to computer and click root my phone. I believe you have to enable USB debugging on the phone and enable USB charge only. The instructions are there as well. Like I said it has been awhile. I am positive my phone was just like it was before rooting as after. After you root you can download root checker from the market and verify your rooted.

5. lowvolt

lowvolt Member

Ratings:
    +6
    Installing a custom rom will wipe the phone. Actually you will wipe the phone before installing a rom.

Search tags for this page
readito root

readytoroot

readytoroot.com
www.readytoroot