Ready to Root my OG Droid!

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by jnd121, May 3, 2011.

1. jnd121

jnd121 New Member

I am eligible for an upgrade, but there is nothing out yet that I am willing to commit to keeping for 2 years, so I felt it may be time to root my Droid. I've done my research and I have a couple of questions:

1. Which is the preferred way to root? Using RSD Lite or SuperOneClick?
    2. Should I install a custom ROM? I was thinking I would just overclock the phone, but if there is enough of a benefit I would flash a ROM.
    3. If the answer to #2 is yes, what is the best ROM for the D1. I know this is subjective, but I see that a lot of people seem to use Cyanogen.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
  2. bendystrawboy

bendystrawboy New Member

rsd lite, and use a rom, rooting to oc is kinda pointless, most roms at the same stock clockspeed are smoother then stock froyo.

Id recommend project elite 4, irs a froyo rom that everything works with (market/apps).
  3. DROOIID

DROOIID New Member

1 Depends how much you know about the rooting process. I used super 1 click and it worked fine. Others don't like one click root programs.
    2 cyanogen project elite and miui are all top notch. They are all a little different with different settings. Just try all of them, it is easy enough to flash another if you don't like it.

I over and underclock to help with battery life. Get cpu tuner and set screen on and screen off profiles.

Sent from my OG Droid, fresh MIUI
    Last edited: May 3, 2011
  4. juhde

juhde Droid X Rescue Squad Rescue Squad Premium Member

Rsd lite, you'll learn a bit more that way.

Definitely use a custom rom, personally I like Peter Alfonso's work. His froyo rom is called bugless, there is also his gingerbread rom he's calling GPA which is what I use. Both can be found in his thread called bugless. If you go for gingerbread I recommend the latest beta build, GPA15, it's what I'm running; it's pretty smooth.

Good luck

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
Search tags for this page

how to root my og droid