1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Ready to root and load custom rom, one question.

Discussion in 'Android Roms' started by droidtom, Mar 14, 2010.

1. droidtom

droidtom New Member

Well I think I finally want to give in and load a custom rom. I'm really thinking Cyanogen. The question I have is that I have not rooted yet and therefore never made a nandroid backup. I see that to load Cyanogen it uses a different recovery program instead of sp recovery. Should I load sp recovery and make a nandroid backup before flashing the other recovery program to load Cyanogen in case I need to go back stock or want to run another rom since they mostly use sp recovery?
  2. woodyman

woodyman Beta Team Developer

Well if your taking the easy way, download the Rom Mananger app from the market and it will install clockwork recovery, and if you ever need SPRecovery to switch to a different ROM, then download DMUpdater from droidmod.org/ and if will flash SPRecovery for you.. so making a nandroid isn't nessacary being that both recovery's make backups for you and if you ever want to go back to stock, there are many things you can do for that.. as long as you have the DMUpdater app you can easily flash to SPRecovery and apply another ROM..

hope this clarifies..

:icon_ banana:
  3. droidtom

droidtom New Member

did it

Did it the manual longer way. I ended up rooting manually with update.zip and terminal emulator. Went ahead and installed sp recovery and did a nandroid backup before starting with the cyanogen mod rom. Wow is it amazing.