Ready to jump the iPhone ship..

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by mr wrong, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mr wrong

mr wrong New Member

Dumping AT&T, and my iPhone 3gs, and going to Verizon this weekend, and was wondering what my first Droid phone should be.

I'm by no means a power-user, and doubt I will root, or mess around with roms. Of course that could change once my comfort level increases. The main thing that interests me is PDAnet so I can tether my laptop.

So if you were going to purchase a Verizon Droid this weekend, what would it be?

Thanks
  2. dankarlinski

dankarlinski Guest

i would go with the Droid 2 Global. it has the fastest processor to best battery life comparison and has a physical keyboard.

the Droid Pro is known for horendious battery life. the other droid devices (fascinate and continuum) are also great devices, but lack the physical keyboard
  3. nan2825

nan2825 New Member

I love my Droid X! Mine is stock..for now but no complaints from me about this Droid!

Sent from my DROIDX
  4. DF Smod

DF Smod New Member

The best answers will come in a few days after the 6th and the 2011 Consumer Electronics Show -

we are expecting some new devices to be unveiled that should be well worth the wait -
  5. dankarlinski

dankarlinski Guest

i completely forgot about the X. lol the droid X is the most like the iphone from a hardware perspective. it is one of the best phones on verizon if you dont need a physical keyboard
  6. dasanman69

dasanman69 New Member

Droid X or Droid 2 Global.
  7. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

Wait till Thursday and at CES. See what's about to drop then decide. With what's out now though if u are more buisness probably the D2. If u want big screen no keyboard go X. Personally if u want big screen I would wait for new HTC devices but not sure how bad u need out of att&t right now. If u are wanting tether u could def use things like PDAnet but I and several others I know just root and use wifi tether. No cords and works great. I have run 3 laptops and an ipod touch off my phone while on vacation this past summer and worked really well for internet connection.
  8. repair7

repair7 New Member

I have the DX ( Droid X) and i am really liking it, i use for my business as well as videos and mp4 files and phone calkls and emails and calander. Droid x rules , the increadable looked great also if you like keyboards

the DX has addressed the keyboard issue, there is really no need to fear phones with no keybpoard
  9. Wuzz Ranger

Wuzz Ranger New Member

I would wait to see what comes out. The phones that are currently out in the market will soon be old tech/news!
  10. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

First, I would wait until after CES. Lots of new 4G phones to be introduced at CES.

Second, I would give serious consideration to the HTC Thunderbolt/Incredible HD. It will be 4G and be one of the best new phones introduced.

Have fun, Android and Verizon are definitely the way to go!
  11. lgonzal3

lgonzal3 New Member

I like everyone else has mentioned would wait until CES 2011. But if you are ready to jump ship this weekend, i'd reccomend the DROID X.

You already have an all touch screen phone with the iPhone and if your not looking to sacrafice too much pocket space go with the Droid X, its thinner than a android phone with a keyboard.

You will enjoy the bigger screen. dancedroid
  12. returntosender

returntosender New Member

I second Wireless Tether... PDAnet requires the I-Tunes bloat machine to be installed.... ridiculous. As for phones, I made the leap from an ENv2 with slide keyboard to a Droidx. The Android OS is incredible. Verizon's bloatware is disappointing, but is easily remedied. I'm slowly adapting to the touch screen keyboard, but still find myself missing the physical keys from time to time. The Droid Pro with it's BB form-factor almost drew me in, but the screen size on the X is pretty darn nice.
  13. ultimateD1

ultimateD1 New Member

I personally would go for the fascinate.... its wicked fast. The 4 inch screen is the perfect size, its light wieght, and beautiful picture. I do not like the touchwiz but snap another launcher like launcher pro or adw and its sweet. I can't imagine what its gonna be like with froyo or gingerbread. IMO. I still adore my og Droid 1 though lol

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App
  14. ultimateD1

ultimateD1 New Member

Oh one more thing. If you have never used a Droid before don't expect it to be like ur iPhone lol. The ui takes a bit of getting used to. Give it a week or so.

Sent from my Sourcery using DroidForums App
  15. Droidarola

Droidarola New Member

I would wait a month or two until LTE phones are out, I would get a HTC Thunderbolt 4G, or if moto comes out with a big screen, front camera phone I would get that one. Otherwise go with the droid 2 global.
  16. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 New Member

I would wait for the dual-core monsters to come after CES. No point in getting a phone that in a few days will be outdated.
  17. mr wrong

mr wrong New Member

I appreciate all the advice so far. Thank you.

Here's my dilemma: I'm currently on a family plan with AT&T. My wife's phone is on it's last legs, and needs to be replaced asap. Unless Verizon is willing to let me upgrade when the new hardware comes out, which I highly doubt, I just don't have the luxury of waiting. Unless she goes to Verizon, and I just maintain a single plan on AT&T. Which I imagine will cost significantly more until, and if I can change my wife's single contract to a family plan.

I imagine I'm gonna have to choose a current model, maybe sell it on eBay, and purchased new one outright when they become available.

Thanks again.
  18. dankarlinski

dankarlinski Guest

another way to kill a bit of time is to go on craigslist for your area and find a cheap att phone to use until you switch.
  19. wctaylor79

wctaylor79 Premium Member Premium Member

You do have the 30 day window with Verizon where you can return a device. This could buy you time or just go the route you spoke of and sell on Ebay. Honestly the deivces that are out are great devices and based on what you are looking for should do the trick for you and your wife. Wish you the best with whatever you decide.. dancedroid
  20. kodiak799

kodiak799 Well-Known Member

Agree with everyone else....Wait and see what's in the pipeline at CES.

If you are in an LTE market, you will most likely want to get an LTE phone. If you're not a power user, you should be more than happy with an LTE version of what may or may not be "old" tech. In fact, you are precisely the consumer HTC would be targeting with what some have described as an "LTE EVO".