Ready for root

neonerz

Reaction score
The software really kills the phone in general. Without an unlocked bootloader (root will help though), we'll never see the true potential of this phone.

Though I don't neccessarily agree with your statement of the camera having a blue tint. True the sensor sucks, I think the issue is more of a lack of color, then an addition of one.

Here is a comparison video I made of the iPhone 4 and the Droid 3's camera.

This was recorded in 720p

[video=youtube;s0ToqpvntsM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0ToqpvntsM&feature=channel_video_title]‪Droid 3 Video vs iPhone 4‬‏ - YouTube[/video]

OP
rickerbilly

rickerbilly

Reaction score
Camera

Here are two photos I just took of a shrub in my front yard. The droid x colors are true to life, ie what I saw is what I got. The Droid 3 colors are blue tinted and greyed a bit. Maybe my sensor is faulty.
I also had time lag just now when dealing with the D3 camera and UI, a few curse words were uttered.

Attachments

• Droid3 shrub.jpg
    Droid3 shrub.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 446
  • DroidX shrub.jpg
    DroidX shrub.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 396

Big D

Reaction score
D1 had bad camera issues when it came out. A software update came quick and fixed it. I believe we'll see the same thing here.

If not, there are better camera apps out there that perform much better. This is not a hardware issue.

neonerz

Reaction score
Here are two photos I just took of a shrub in my front yard. The droid x colors are true to life, ie what I saw is what I got. The Droid 3 colors are blue tinted and greyed a bit. Maybe my sensor is faulty.

I think your seeing the same thing I am, just a washed out picture. It almost looks like a blue tint because of all the blue in the picture. If you flip them back and forth quickly, its easy to see how washed out it is. Though how aggravating is it that the picture itself is clear, just the colors suck.

I also had time lag just now when dealing with the D3 camera and UI, a few curse words were uttered.

The shutter lag is KILLER. It almost makes the camera useless.

aramos87

Reaction score
Good for stock. Blows away stock DX. My d3 is the best blur I've used by far.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I would agree with this statement. However, I am experiencing random reboot issues. About 6 a day. I called support this morning an they're sending me a replacement, it should arrive tomorrow.

John

Unfortunately this is a common issue, that many D3 users are having. Im on my second D3 and its still doing it. It does it at the most random and inconvenient times, hopefully an update fixing the issue is released soon.

lunacie

Reaction score
I've posted this solution to reboot issues in several threads...

I had relentless reboots for two days before I took a recommendation from another user (via VZW tech support) to factory reset and then NOT synch apps with Google during the first-boot setup wizard. Instead I loaded all my apps manually from the market.

The suspicion is that there's conflicting app data causing these problems. Since I reformatted data/cache (factory reset) and loaded the apps manually, I have not had a single reboot.

That's not to say this will solve everyone's problem, faulty hardware is certainly not unheard of, but I know this fix has helped a ton of people so far.

Good for stock. Blows away stock DX. My d3 is the best blur I've used by far.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

I would agree with this statement. However, I am experiencing random reboot issues. About 6 a day. I called support this morning an they're sending me a replacement, it should arrive tomorrow.

John

Unfortunately this is a common issue, that many D3 users are having. Im on my second D3 and its still doing it. It does it at the most random and inconvenient times, hopefully an update fixing the issue is released soon.

aramos87

Reaction score
I have already done that and still reboots randomly... oh well

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Nolam

Reaction score
see now the threads will get interesting because the actual release more people will be coming here and the tranquility we had from the 7th to the 14th is gone...my hope is that with more sales...more devs...you guys can keep fighting ill skip over the posts anyways...im just waiting and waiting and waiting until the day i click on here and it says

WHO SAYS THE MAN ALWAYS WINS...and someone has unlocked the phone or phone a temp root or a permanent root...i just wanna get rid of all the bloat...it constantly opens itself and restarts itself and im sick of using task killers to close out the garbage....

im seriously contemplating returning this phone paying the 35 dollar restocking fee and just keeping my D1 until moto unlocks or someone figures out a workaround...

besides the new keyboard and bigger screen my D1 is just as fast (bloat free running sapphire froyo/ cm7 for gb...sometimes i get sick of the reboots and roll back to froyo) plus the D1 can tether and watch netflix...seems like i downgraded for now anyways

Holy crap dude, are you who I think you are? (Look at my name)

If you aren't I apologize xD

Raptor007

Reaction score
I guess that could be why I haven't had any reboots at all. I don't set up any accounts during the wizard stuff. I wait until I am done.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I am very happy with the D3. I would love root but this phone is good enough that there is no problem in waiting. This phone absolutely crushes my previous X2.

dentonmd

Reaction score
On the topic of capabilities gained by rooting, would a rooted D3 permit the below functionality

Video calling outside of GTalk (even though it's not LTE)

Video streaming on select apps
- Netflix

This phone has so much promise, that has been throttled back by Motorola + Verizon

Pardon the newb if these are silly questions,

MD

Johnnyb

Reaction score
Netflix works now. New app released yesterday I think.

neonerz

Reaction score
I don't think the Skype app for the Droid 3 does video. And I think its that special VZW version that uses your minutes.

psouza4

Reaction score
video calling works on fring, i think skype works too.
They fixed it? I tried it the day I got my Droid 3 (7/8) and the app would quit immediately with a message that my phone wasn't supported.

Skype had inverted video (to my caller) with the FFC and no audio.

Oovoo FC'd.

Again, this was all tested 7/8, so they may have changed it -- just confirming that you've actually successfully made/received video calls through Fring on your Droid 3?