Read everything but still confused about rooting...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by GadgetRick, May 14, 2011.

1. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Ok, read through all of the sticky threads about rooting but still don't even know where to start. I'm not a Unix/Linix guru but I'm handy from a technology-standpoint but I don't know how to go about rooting my Droid.

I have the original Droid with latest updates on it. Looking to root for the following reasons:

-getting a little more life out of it. Plan on upgrading eventually (later this year) but would like to breathe some more excitement into it to keep me going.
    -looking to use Barnacle WiFi Tether to use as a hotspot and to take advantage of my data plan with an Android tablet and a laptop.
    -would like to investigate other apps which will help me which require root-level permissions.

I understand what rooting is and what it means. Just don't know how to go about doing it. Don't know where to start. I am on a Mac (I've seen a lot of instructions assuming the user is on a PC.). Where can I go to find good info on how to root my Droid?

Thanks a bunch in advance and sorry to have to post this but just not finding how to go about doing it.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I found a way, but I've never tried it so use at your own risk:

How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX
    • Download the Superboot zip file and extract to a directory
    • Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then press and hold the trackball to enter the bootloader
    • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh' followed by './install-superboot-mac.sh'

Commands in Terminal:
    SLONN:~ m$ cd desktop
    SLONN:desktop m$ cd /Users/m/Desktop/1.0-FRG83-nexusone-superboot
    SLONN:1.0-FRG83-nexusone-superboot m$ chmod +x install-superboot-mac.sh
    SLONN:1.0-FRG83-nexusone-superboot m$ ./install-superboot-mac.sh
  3. CJM

CJM Developer Relations Staff Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I never used a mac and don't know how, so I didn't respond.

But, to put the original droid in the bootloader, hold power + up on the directional pad. It only takes a second and you won't mess up anything if you do it wrong. The original droid doesn't have a trackball.

Sent by the Unbrickable DROID
  4. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Hmm, a little worried I'll screw up something there.

I seem to have found some videos which show just putting the update.zip file in the root and booting into recovery mode and loading the update.zip. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an update.zip file! :icon_eek:

Also, from what I can tell, rooting won't screw up any of the other apps I use since, at this point, I've not installed a custom ROM, correct? It's only once I install a custom ROM (if I need to), when I'll run into the strangeness of certain apps not behaving properly. Do I have that right?

Thanks.
  5. CJM

Don't have the link, but google "motocache1 root regardless ". That's how I rooted my droid. But I used a windows pc's. I know nothing about macs, but inst there a program called parallels that lets you run windows programs? You just need RSD Lite from motocache1's thread to get the custom recovery on your phone. After that, there's more ways to get roms on your phone.

Your apps are tied to your google account. So, once you sign in to your account, you'll still have all of your apps. The paid ones and free ones.

I've seen some suggest "Superoneclick" to root the original droid, but I've never used that.

6. bigeric828

bigeric828 New Member

7. guidot

guidot Developer Relations Staff Member Premium Member

It's worrying me that there are words such as nexus one in your guide hook.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
  8. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

I know I can install an emulator on my Mac to run Windoze software, I'd rather not if I can help it.

I saw a few things indicating I can just copy the correct Update.zip file into the root, boot into recovery and run the Update.zip file to root since I'm on 2.2.2. This would be very easy for me if I could find the correct Update.zip file. And I'm fine doing it this way.

I'll go the emulator route if I have to but trying not to have to do this.

I know the apps are tied to my Google account. My question about issues with apps is more about whether things like App2SD will run properly. I don't have many apps which mess with the OS all that much except for App2SD so I'm really more worried about that in particular. I mean, I've got a live wallpaper but that's not a big deal if that won't work.

Thanks.
  9. CJM

Its in this link: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-labs/74028-root-droid-1-regardless-os-version.html. Look under "Things you're going to need:" for "5. My "complete root" update file. (Link)". Thats the update.zip you need. Just change the name from MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-update.zip to update.zip. In other words, take out the MotoCache1_Complete_Root_v1.1-.
  10. bplewis24

bplewis24 New Member

I'm a little worried about this one...
  11. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Thanks. Should this work? I saw a couple of YouTube vids showing this method. If it's a bad idea, I'll either load an emulator or find a PC I can borrow for this.
  12. CJM

If you can borrow a pc, I'd do that.

13. CJM

Thing is, I don't have experience with a mac to help you trouble shoot problems. Even with an emulator. I'd rather not help you root your phone than help you brick it.

14. guidot

I've not done this myself, but people have reported it working. On a Mac that is, running VM or parallels.
  15. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

What I'm asking is, I've seen people on YouTube root their phone by copying the Update.zip file into the root of their phone. You can do that from any computer which will mount an USB device like the Droid. All they do is (literally) copy the file into the root, reboot the phone into recovery mode then run the Update.zip file. Just wondering if this actually works or is a good idea.

No need for a PC or emulator or anything this way. I just don't know if it actually works as I've not located an Update.zip file until I was pointed to one here. Just don't want to brick my phone but wondering if it's actually harder than what I'm making it out to be. Seems like previous to 2.2.2, the only way to root was going through all of the other steps and with 2.2.2 this might be possible. Just trying to verify whether it is (or is not) possible to root this way. If not, I'll have to deal with an emulator or borrow a PC (or learn a lot more about Unix) in order to do this.

Thanks.
  16. CJM

Thats basically it. Thats how I put the leaked version of froyo on my phone a while back. But you need a custom recovery, thats where rsd lite comes in to play.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you can get Raidzero's recovery on your phone the same way. He has an update.zip, sbf and img. You would use the update.zip from the first post in his thread.

If you do mess anything up, rsd lite is what you would use to fix it. So its best to get that working, just in case.
  17. guidot

Those zips are NOT signed and therefore will not work in stock recovery. this is the reason for MotoCache having you sbf SPrecovery on in the first place.

I've never seen these videos, but I'm very skeptical.
  18. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Hmm, starting to make some sense. It's still foggy but I'm starting to understand.

Thanks.
  19. GadgetRick

GadgetRick Member

Here's one...

20. bplewis24

bplewis24 New Member

Can anybody confirm that is a stock recovery? I haven't seen what stock looks like in a long time, but he clearly has SPrecovery sbf files on his desktop and his SD card.

Brandon