Re-Root Your Droid X After Update

dnynumba1

Reaction score
the good news is i seem to have gotten myself banlisted from receiving updates... :(

seriously, i've tried so many ways to fix this, and now when i try to receive the update it just "checks" and immediately stops checking

BodyBagz

Reaction score
devlin i tried the z4root 1.3.0 method as you described, it just seems to run forever. what am i doing wrong?

When it "hangs" like that, pop the battery cover off and do a battery pull. Install the battery back in, the cover, then reboot the phone. Once everything is running, load z4root app again and select permanent Root...should work then.

OP
Devlin85

Devlin85

Reaction score
devlin i tried the z4root 1.3.0 method as you described, it just seems to run forever. what am i doing wrong?

I had a similar issue when i was rooting my phone.. it was 20 minutes in and all i did was hit home, opened up a task manager and killed all apps.. most task managers cant kill core/system processes so it wont affect z4root because it has higher rights than the task manager.. Immediately after I exited the task manager z4root popped back up and said completed. So something might just be holding it up.. Give that a try if you're still having that issue.

shalom

Reaction score
Thank you for the post.... worked perfectly on my DX...

OP
Devlin85

Devlin85

Reaction score
So are you saying that if we use z4root and superuser is still there, we should delete superuser? or that z4root has simply failed and there's nothing we can do?

I haven't gotten this method to work any way I try it - updating before unrooting, updating after unrooting, anything. Since I used DoRootForWindows as the original root, is that why z4root won't work? Also, no, the phone never rebooted at all during the unroot/reroot process with z4root. Only by going back to DoRootForWin was I able to sucessfully re-root.

z4root did seem to partially unroot, as my wireless tether stopped working. But no reboot, update fail.

What you need to do is get the phone un-rooted and superuser removed from your system before trying to Root it again. All of these one click / easy methods will hang at one stage or another, usually while running rageagainstthecage or sometimes when pushing busybox but it generally has to do with the fact that superuser is already installed and it just doesn't know how to handle that occurrence.. So If you unroot and you still have superuser try to go in and just uninstall it, if uninstall isn't available download a program manager that can force uninstall, I have has good results with "AppMonster" It is available for free on the market. And if that doesnt do the trick for you there are antivirus programs like "AVG Antivirus Free" by DroidSecurity and they don't like superuser being installed and will give you the option to remove it. (That's why I use Lookout Instead, it doesn't care if you root your phone or not.. Hope that helps your situation.

Last edited:

brlarue

Reaction score
Z4 worked for me. I lost my root after the Verizon update on my X yesterday. I rooted with the multi step instructions when i did it. Anyway ... I first clicked the Unroot button on Z4 and after about 15 minutes rebooted. I never let it finish. The next round I clicked the Permanent Root option. After about 10 minutes it rebooted and my phone had it's root back. I'll have to remember to unroot next time. I wish Verizon would make rooting a standard app.

carlitos_SoCal

Reaction score
i tried that un-root process...and it reboot and i still have the ninja icon... but when i try to un-root through the app i dont get that option...

Purple Knight

Reaction score
Rooted once again!

Side note: The SU Ninja remained after unrooting but I was still able to successfully run permanent root. Pirate SU now showing!

gwapojoe

Reaction score
AppMonster (free) didn't show the superuser I see in my applications menu for some reason. I have the same situation where i did not unroot before doing the 2.3.340 update and now the Z4 cannot unroot it, and the superuser permissions app can't be uninstalled (it is disabled), AVG says "uninstall not successful" over and over again. What do I do now? How can I get access to remove that so i can root again? Thanks in advance.

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
Rooted once again!

Side note: The SU Ninja remained after unrooting but I was still able to successfully run permanent root. Pirate SU now showing!

Exactly what I did for it to work!

Sent using my Xmas present (Droid X)

SpdFreekG35

Reaction score
So... I have tried this method to Un-root/re-root with no luck... It says successful but didn't do anything. And now the Un-root option doesn't show up in the app. Not sure what to do next. I am familiar with the terminal methods but have found that most of them hang up or fail when running the standard rageagainstthecage-arm5.bin exploit. does anyone have a newer exploit that may work instead? If I had only been thinking before I accepted the update.... So at this point I am not rooted but I still have all the rooted system files and can't get them off so I can re-root.... It's so frustrating....

Edit---- Used this method first (http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=9778968#post9778968) to get my DX cleaned then Z4root worked great!

Last edited:

BeefGj

Reaction score
Also worked perfectly on my DX. Had to do a fresh restart of my phone to get it to work. Now I can tether for free again. Thanks!!!

dx 2.3.340 OTA