Re-Root Your Droid X After Update

Devlin85

Reaction score
The Problem:

I had a bit of an issue with out any real helpful information out there on this issue. Most of the tools out there like SuperOneClick and DoRoot and other previously helpful tools didn't come to the rescue for me this time. Well the issue was and I'm sure I'm not the first one to come across this, I'm probably just one of the first people to notice and discuss it. After the new 2.3 Update was pushed to my phone I thought everything was OK, I still had Superuser and it had my programs listed so everything seemed fine, but then when i tried to run one of my programs that required root access, shocker, access denied! Aparently everything wasn't fine and my root privileges have been revoked!

Now the problem is all of the easy One Click root my phone options even the ones that had Un-Root couldn't do a thing to help me, they all thought my phone wasn't rooted to begin with and when trying to root my phone they would either hang on running "rageagainsthecage" or loop over and over on the steps and not actually do anything. Now if you were "smart" and Un-Rooted your phone prior to the update you probably will just be able to run the same program you did before with no real issue. But for those of you, like me, who didn't I'll save you the frustration of trying to figure this one out.

The Fix:

I spent a lot of time installing various Development Kits (Android SDK) and other Runtime Environments to gain access to the phone with ADB from windows and to terminal my way in and run scripts to manually Un-Root my phone but soon found out (After getting a million access denied's and Not Found Errors) that there was no way to properly access the features and folders I need from outside the phone I then focused my search on a program that can Root and Un-Root from the phone itself and BAM! There it was, the exact program I needed on an obscure post on some small unknown tech blog, z4root! Its a package you can install on your phone (as long as you have enabled the ability to install non-market apps) that allows you to root and Un-Root your phone (Even temporarily, just in case you wanna test it first) due to an exploit that the maker has found.

How To Do It:

1. Download z4root 1.3.0

2. Make sure you can install non-market apps. (Menu, Settings, Applications, check "Unknown Sources")

3. Open a File Explorer and find z4root on your phone's SD card and Install it.

4. Load up z4root and hit "Un-Root", it will the use an exploit to gain root access and Un-Root your phone, afterwards it will automatically restart.

5. When you phone comes back up load up z4root again and then hit "Permanent Root" and it will then use an exploit to gain root access to your phone and install Busybox and Superuser. (It will take up to 15 minutes depending on your phone)

After another quick reboot you will once again have a rooted phone that you can do what you want with! Enjoy!!

Last edited:

topdj

Reaction score
tried that 3 times unrooted with z4 then permanent root says it worked but I still do not have root no apps can get root that I have.

OP
Devlin85

Devlin85

Reaction score
Did you verify that superuser was removed and did it restart after each attempt in between the steps?

topdj

Reaction score
yes I have icon that says superuser and I removed all the old permission items too

topdj

Reaction score
sick of restarting my phone and running this program don't work, all my root programs are useless. I must up to 25 restarts and 3 battery pulls, I ended up doing it the hard way not real choice in the matter one clicks were not going to do for me since I forgot to move my SU folder before the update

Last edited:
OP
Devlin85

Devlin85

Reaction score
I didn't ask if you now have super user. I asked if when you Un-Root does it successfully remove superuser from your apps. If that isn't happening then of course it won't work. Even if it says it's successful..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Janx

Reaction score
Got my root back!

Worked perfectly the first time, which never seems to happen for me. Many, many thanks!!

Davwbs

Reaction score
Got the phone Monday night right before the store closed, charged it going down the road driving, Took the 2.3.340 update Tuesday & today took 10mins to ROOT the phone & have never done this before.

Great tool & thanks from a rookie rooter:icon_ banana:

dnynumba1

Reaction score
I didn't ask if you now have super user. I asked if when you Un-Root does it successfully remove superuser from your apps. If that isn't happening then of course it won't work. Even if it says it's successful..

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

So are you saying that if we use z4root and superuser is still there, we should delete superuser? or that z4root has simply failed and there's nothing we can do?

I haven't gotten this method to work any way I try it - updating before unrooting, updating after unrooting, anything. Since I used DoRootForWindows as the original root, is that why z4root won't work? Also, no, the phone never rebooted at all during the unroot/reroot process with z4root. Only by going back to DoRootForWin was I able to sucessfully re-root.

z4root did seem to partially unroot, as my wireless tether stopped working. But no reboot, update fail.

Last edited:

PS3Gamer

Reaction score
...BUT, hey.. I still rooted it. Back up and running! Thanks!:greendroid:

dano1027

Reaction score
I Need Help

devlin i tried the z4root 1.3.0 method as you described, it just seems to run forever. what am i doing wrong?