RDP or VPN, share your ideas

MaverickVirus

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recomendations for RDP apps or how to set up a VPN on your phone? I'm personally looking for a free alternative to the remote desktop app. But it would be cool to hear how you guys have set up a remote connection to your computer!

techguru

Reaction score
Does anyone have any recomendations for RDP apps or how to set up a VPN on your phone? I'm personally looking for a free alternative to the remote desktop app. But it would be cool to hear how you guys have set up a remote connection to your computer!

There are a couple of free VNC apps. I think "Remote VNC Lite" is a little better than "android-vnc-viewer", but both are a little twitchy trying to pan the screen vs use the mouse. There is also a Remote VNC Pro, but until I see the Lite version work a little better, not sure I want to give my money for the pro version.

Hoping for some more reviews of the paid RDP client before plunking down my money for it.

VPN: What do you have? PPTP is easy on Windows Servers, IPSec is built into some home routers and can also be done by Windows Servers.

No Hamachi client for Android (yet) which is too bad because it is the easiest for the home user to deal with.

I imagine if you root the droid you could probably get it running OpenSSL. I am not ready to go there yet (don't want to wind up bricking my brand new toy).

Alan

OP
MaverickVirus

MaverickVirus

Reaction score

There are a couple of free VNC apps. I think "Remote VNC Lite" is a little better than "android-vnc-viewer", but both are a little twitchy trying to pan the screen vs use the mouse. There is also a Remote VNC Pro, but until I see the Lite version work a little better, not sure I want to give my money for the pro version.

Hoping for some more reviews of the paid RDP client before plunking down my money for it.

VPN: What do you have? PPTP is easy on Windows Servers, IPSec is built into some home routers and can also be done by Windows Servers.

No Hamachi client for Android (yet) which is too bad because it is the easiest for the home user to deal with.

I imagine if you root the droid you could probably get it running OpenSSL. I am not ready to go there yet (don't want to wind up bricking my brand new toy).

Alan

I definitely agree about not rooting. I'm running windows server 2008 but I usually remote into my desktop(work) which then I remote into the servers. Its easier that way b/c a limited amount of people can be on etc. Etc. But yah, I'm totally waiting to see the Remote Desktop by xtralogic... it may be what I'm looking for.

insane_ai

Reaction score
I use PDANet and Remote Desktop through my laptop without issues. It worked fine on the free version so I paid for the app. ($20) It is my humble opinion that tethering is the way to go. I also believe that you should pay the programmer when you use their application (assuming it works), especially when the price is fair. $20 one time vs Verizon's $30 /month is fair as far as I'm concerned.