1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

RazrMaXX randomly not charging using OEM

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by wendee2150, Aug 13, 2012.

1. wendee2150

wendee2150 New Member

Good Morning! I woke up this morning after doing 2 FDR since Friday and after my husband installing the .215 leak to a phone which had been on the charger all night but did not charge. I am not rooted and the phone was new in May. Twice now, in the last 3 weeks, I've wakened to a non-charged phone even after it had been turned off and on the wall charger all night. The first time, I figured that I must have not gotten it plugged in right (no glasses, couldn't see) so when I got to work I plugged it in there. The phone shows that it is charging, but even after 3 hours, it hadn't charged a lick. (All OEM chargers, by the way.) So I called my handy-dandy friend at the VW store and he said to start with a soft reset which fixed the problem. Yea! I have a working phone.

But this morning, it had happened again. What has concerned me is that less than 30 hours ago, I just did a FDR. Any thoughts? I barely have anything back on the phone...two differet battery widgets (cause I want to see which I like best, of course.) SwiftKey 3 and Dolphin. I was going to wait to add more stuff today when I had more time. I did another soft reset and it appears to be charging now (in other words, it was at 40% when I plugged it in and now is at 50% so I am assuming that it is working.)

Any thoughts, oh wise ones? I love my Maxx, I want it to be a great phone and I don't want to have to call VW and get a replacement. :icon_eek:

Thanks for your considerations. I appreciate all that these boards have to offer.
    ~Wendy
  2. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Premium Member

I understand not wanting to get a replacement, I shudder to think about getting one of those if something goes wrong with my phone.

First thing I would ask, at work when you are charging you are not doing so through a computer correct? You are using the OEM cable as you said but have it plugged into AC outlet?

Have you tried switching ports on the USB to AC adapter?
  3. wendee2150

wendee2150 New Member

The first time this happened, I automatically assumed that I had not plugged it in correctly or that the usb end had come out of the AC end (that has happened before...) But because I was already at work when I discovered that it hadn't charged I immediately plugged it in to my computer to charge. When I went to lunch at noon, it had not charged at all that whole morning on the computer charger so while I was at lunch, I did the soft reset. I plugged it into the OEM car charger and charged while I was running my errands. After the soft reset, it started charging. When I got back from lunch, I plugged it back into a wall charger and completed the charge.

When it happened this morning, I just automatically did the soft reset and plugged it in to the AC charger in the front room. Because of the number of people who live her who own Motorola phones, I am lucky to have 4 different Moto ac/usb chargers. It is now charging and up to 90% after almost 2 hours (started at 40%). So I think that I answered your question?

I guess my whole point for the question is, has anyone experienced this, what have you done about it and do you think I'm headed for a CLNR?? Or is there a trick I don't know about? Thx!
  4. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

I have not experienced this but I believe there are some that have for unexplainable reasons had their phone discharge while plugged in. I am currently trying to help someone this happened to. It is puzzling, to say the least. I wonder if FoxKat might have some insight into this issue.

For now, if you are able, when you do charge it over night, after 30 min to an hour when you start the charge, check to make sure it is still charging and make sure the percentage is increasing. I say this just to make sure you don't end up waking up to a severe battery drain. Or until you are confident it is fixed, charge it during the day so you can monitor the charge.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums
  5. Sydman

No if you are trying multiple OEM chargers and experiencing the same problem at different locations, I would say you might have a bunk battery. You could try doing a battery calibration, it could be that your charge level is just not being reported correctly.

Turn the phone off and power to 100%, then unplug it and use it until you get the low battery notification (with ICS should be 10% left), then power off and charge until 100% again, finally unplug power on and use as normal and charge when needed with phone powered on.
    1 person likes this.
  6. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Thanks Sydman, this may be exactly what the problem is, especially after doing an FDR. It is always a good idea to follow an fdr with a meter training cycle.

1 person likes this.
  7. Sydman

No Tis, thank you!
    1 person likes this.
  8. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

For what? Lol! You always have my back!

9. Sydman

For being awesome.
    1 person likes this.
  10. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Aww, thanks! The same goes for you! :D

11. 94lt1

94lt1 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

OK... so she's tried multiple chargers.. has she tried just plugging it in to the stick charger and looking to see if the bolt appears in the battery icon? Then wiggling the cord to see if it looses connection?

This is common... I had the cord issue, my wife had the cord issue. My son had the cord issue.

Its really easily to overlook it.

But it sounds like you guys have it in hand :)
  12. wendee2150

wendee2150 New Member

I know how to "train" my battery, I am a FoxKat student, haha! But my issue is that my phone LOOKS like it is charging and ACTS like it is charging. I get the lightning bolt and it "moves" like it is charging so I go to sleep soundly believing that when I get up, my phone will be at 100% fully charged. But when I wake up, the phone is where it was when I plugged it in or lower. AND our back-up phone is plugged into the very same charger as I type, happily charging the back-up phone. So, the charger is good and there is some issue with my phone.

How common is this and should it be happening after 2 FDR's in a 48 hour period and should I look into getting it replaced? Or is there something else I need to do first before that horrible option needs to be done?
    1 person likes this.
  13. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Not all moto chargers have the same charging capacity. Some may actually charge too slow. Make sure it is a charger that has at least 750mA output.

14. chethammer

chethammer New Member

charger problems

Here's what I've been able to figure out. This is for my wife's Maxx, not that it really matters, but I get the question "why isn't my phone charging?" thrown at me. After trying several chargers I've found that over time the micro usb end of the charge gets pushed in a little bit and doesn't make good contact with the female end on the Maxx. That's probably why the chargers will work on other phones, but not on the Maxx. It needs to be longer to make contact.
  15. ReyJae

ReyJae New Member

Razr Maxx Charging Problem

OK - I seem to be having a similar problem. I occasionally like to let battery go to 10-20%, shut down and charge to 100%. However, when I shut down and plug in, it does not charge at all overnight. If I do not turn the phone off, it will ALWAYS charge to 100%, but from what I understand, you should periodically shut off to charge. Since it will charge fine with the phone power on, I assume the charger is fine, and it's more an issue with the phone or battery. Also, please forgive me, as I'm a newbie to the forum, and to some acronyms...like what is FDR?
  16. TisMyDroid

TisMyDroid New Member

Hi ReyJae. That is a puzzle why your phone will not charge when it its shut off but does fine when it is on. I wish I had some ideas for you to try. Maybe our battery expert, FoxKat, has some ideas but it does sound like it must be something with the phone or battery.

Which an fdr may fix. No worries about not knowing what the acronyms are that we throw around here. There are some you might only find on this forum. But we are always happy to explain... which brings me back to fdr. That refers to doing a factory data reset, which erases everything on your phone and restores it to a, like new, out of the box state. It will most times fix many problems.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums
Search tags for this page
droid razr max will charge in car but not on outlet
droid razr maxx battery not charging
droid razr maxx battery not fully charging

droid razr maxx not charging

droid razr maxx not fully charging
motorola droid razr maxx not charging
motorola razr charger not working
motorola razr maxx not charging
razr maxx battery not charging
razr maxx battery not fully charging