1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

RAZR woes = No Bionic ota soon?

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by bluezdawg, Nov 18, 2011.

1. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Been watching the RAZR activity on this and the Motorola support forum (nothing better to do while waiting).

One has to wonder, given some similar challenges with the RAZR and the fact that it is now Motorola's flag-ship product, will all hands be focused on that now at the cost of fixing the Bionic issues? My second question would be, might they just bag it for both the RAZR and Bionic, till ICS shows up in 2012 and hope it plays well? Food for thought. Besides, networks drops, reboots, power-offs, apps disappearing are old news!
    :crazy:
  2. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

reports are the Bionic OTA is on the way. According to several blogs along with reports in this very forum Moto reached out to some Bionic users and invited them to be part of a "soak test" of the forthcoming update which should commence quite shortly.

the RAZR is in no way impacting development on the Bionic.
  3. cjsmoove

cjsmoove Member

Ditto^^^^^^^
  4. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Hope you're right Wheels... sure some of the firmware engineers work on the same chips across products (4g LTE, wireless..), they can't be in two places at once trying to resolve similar problems... Or maybe they are trying to fix the Bionic problems in hopes that the code will fix RAZR issues. Naaaah... just saying.

Btw, like the sig... gotta love Rush
  5. Speeding Wheels

you're forgetting option #3... there are multiple teams of devs at Moto... some working on Bionic, some working on RAZR... some working on the next device down the pike.
    to think theres only 1 team of engineers working on all devices is extremely short sighted IMO.
  6. bluezdawg

bluezdawg New Member

Don't disagree that there are different development teams working on different products, but it's not unusual at all having single teams of engineers for common components (even some outsourcing of common components). Been working in hi-tech for 30+ years (Product, S/W, firmware design)... worked for a fortune 100 company, don't think it is as short sighted as you may think :)
  7. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

They're the same phones, aren't they? :p
  8. LakauAkatoma

LakauAkatoma New Member

This is what I was thinking, The phones are almost identical (software wise) and to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if the Razr gets a quicker OTA on that fact alone... considering they are already working on the Bionic OTA and the phones are not much different, but the Bionic will of course gets theirs first. (hopefully)
  9. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team Staff Member Premium Member

The soak test for the bionic should start any day now.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass Well-Known Member

I hope you intended to be funny because I laughed like hell. ;)
  11. Shadez

Well, due to the NDA that's all I'm gonna say :)
  12. Hugh Jass

...lol, think this one went over your head, sorry. Any day now could be...any day. A week, a month, a millenia...

Any day now, the world is going to end. It's true, I'm a prophet.
  13. Shadez

I think ya missed the part in that where I said "NOW".... :)
  14. Speeding Wheels

1. Make a joke that goes over some peoples heads
    2. Come back and explain the joke.. making it far less funny
    3. ????
    4. PROPHET!!!!!

:D
    1 person likes this.
  15. Hugh Jass

Now that was a post of beauty, keep that up and you could be a comedian any day now. ;)
  16. marleyinoc

marleyinoc New Member

It will be less funny when he comes back to explain it. Trust me. Been there... :)

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  17. LegalAmerican

LegalAmerican New Member

I think these phones being released really are the soak tests and then no one is patient enough to wait for the updates.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
    1 person likes this.
  18. nateohio

nateohio New Member

looking at your stats, it seems as though you've been around a while! Have you ever participated in Soak tests? I have with 3 different phones on 5 different updates and these things do follow a normal timeline.

Now, like Shadez said, due to NDA we can't confirm or deny that emails were sent out asking for volunteers to participate in the soak test about a week ago and that the normal timeline is typically 1-2 weeks for the first soak test OTAs to start hitting the airwaves. Stop being so cynical :)
  19. Hugh Jass

I even explained myself and you still don't get it...I'm not being cynical, or even talking about the update or soak test...It's his choice of words that imply zero timeframe, "any day now" has the identical meaning of "some say", or "in the future", or "before July 27th, 2187". Like...no kidding.

Also drop the government aficionado persona, who are you? Robert Gibbs? "we can't confirm or deny...", get out of here. What, are some black unmarked vehicles going to roll up minutes after you leak super secret information about a silly update, hogtie you and whisk you away to Area 51 for interrogation before having a spot of tea and crumpets? I think your high horse has pony legs, my friend.

I could care less about dates, but teasing about insider knowledge is irrelevant with such an ambiguous comment, it's better to say nothing at all than continue to incite and fuel speculation based off of comments that are amphibological at best, because this same sort of activity is what causes disappointment and hatred toward manufactures who don't deliver when people who think they're an insider delivers false information to the masses, who wait, and wait, and wait...only to be disappointed by people who dropped the ball thinking they knew better than they do.

I get insider information all the time, and I don't go around spewing it like a loose firehouse because chances are it's crap, and their is so much of it on this forum delivered by people who think it's true it's insane because people take it as literal truth and spread it like wild fire.

Happens here every day...every hour...every minute.
  20. leroybrute

leroybrute Banned

Maybe you should have signed up for the soak test! I have been on 3 moto soaks and they dont mess around. If you own a bionic and are signed up with feedback network which anyone could have done has more than inside info. By the way its kind of to late to sign up this time around.:p How does one eat their own words on forums?