Razr will not charge via computer to USB?

Zaeolos

Reaction score
When I try to charge the phone connecting it to my PC via USB, it does not charge. I have the USB set to Charge Only, but still nothing. It seems fine if I connect it to the A/C charger. I have also been using the cable that came with it in both instances. Has anyone else seen this issue or know why it may be happening?

rherron

Reaction score
No. Mine charges just fine when connected to my PC. How old is your PC?

OP
Z

Zaeolos

Reaction score
No. Mine charges just fine when connected to my PC. How old is your PC?

It's pretty new. I do not have any problem with other phones. I know the USB ports are powered at 5v. It's got to be something with my phone, I just don't know what it is.

Oaklands

Reaction score
Are you using the cable that came with the phone? I could charge with a separate cable that worked with my D1 but could not connect to my PC. Went and got the USB cable that came with it and everything was fine.

rherron

Reaction score
I'm not using the one that came with it and am having no trouble.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

k6gph

Reaction score
My razr also is not charging from the oem usb cable plugged into a usb port. The PC is a Acer 1810z about 2 yrs old. The phone gets hot while plugged into the pc. The phone says its charging but a look at the battery % under settings does not change. Plug the cable into the oem ac charger and it charges fine and does not get hot. I have tried to use different settings on the phone with no change.
I would consider this to be a serious problem, the heat generated is somewhat scary. I will try it on another PC at work tomorrow and see what happens.

Sallaia

Reaction score
I have also been unable to charge my razr at home and at work when connected to the computers. Two different cords, one rocketfish, and the other from my first gen droid. I don't want to try it again, as it also makes the phone warm to the touch.

jtpowell

Reaction score
I'd head to the store as you should be able to charge off any micro USB cable even over USB 1.0 I've charged off generic cables from MacBook 2.0 and 1.0 ports off my Dell monitor fine.

jlloydf13

Reaction score
Same Issue- Won't charge- no USB Icon

I have the same issue. It worked inititally (on work cpu and home cpu) then quit recognizing the phone in USB. Phone doensn't seem to recognize its plugged into cpu either...phone gets (REALLY) hot, but won't charge.
Also no longer shows USB icon on phone when plugged in. Can't even find the options for Charge Only, PC Sync, and the other couple i can't remember. Phone acts like its not plugged in at all????

It does charge fine when same USB cable is plugged into wall charger.

yocontraellos

Reaction score
solved

I was having the same issue. Has nothing to do with the cable type you're using (i mean, besides it being a micro usb cable, obv).

Connected my droid razr to my comp and it wasn't responding. All you need to do is restart your phone. You do this by holding the power button and the down volume button at the same time for 10 seconds. Once it restarted, it's been connecting to my comp no problem. Charging and accessible.

Thanks
Me

denig

Reaction score
The only way I got it to work was by installing the Motorola Drivers.... Google "MotoHelper_2.0.53_Driver_5.2.0.exe"

Last edited:

BindiBoop

Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old, but I don't want to start a new one for the same thing. I have no "charge only" option when I connect my phone to my computer. The three options I get under USB computer connection are: mass storage, Media device (MRP), and Camera (PTP). I have tried two different usb cables, I have tried restarting my phone and I have installed the Motorola driver mentioned in the last post (am I supposed to see this somewhere or do something with this driver?). Still, there is no option for charge only. The phone looks like it's charging, and if it has over 50-60% charge already, it seems to charge (slowly) but if I plug it in at say 20%, it just stays at 20%. Sometimes it will show it's charging and lose power in the process. I am at a loss as to what to do here. :blink:

jtpowell

Reaction score
I know this thread is a year old, but I don't want to start a new one for the same thing. I have no "charge only" option when I connect my phone to my computer. The three options I get under USB computer connection are: mass storage, Media device (MRP), and Camera (PTP). I have tried two different usb cables, I have tried restarting my phone and I have installed the Motorola driver mentioned in the last post (am I supposed to see this somewhere or do something with this driver?). Still, there is no option for charge only. The phone looks like it's charging, and if it has over 50-60% charge already, it seems to charge (slowly) but if I plug it in at say 20%, it just stays at 20%. Sometimes it will show it's charging and lose power in the process. I am at a loss as to what to do here. :blink:

That's normal. I think charge only option disappears after ICS. If you see the lightening bolt indicator you're charing. The dial only moves in 10% increments and that low can take a while to move to 30% so normal.

BindiBoop

Reaction score
That makes sense about no "charge only" after ICS because I know it used to be there. But, is it normal for the phone to lose charge when it is plugged into the computer at a low charge level? I am guessing the computer just doesn't have the charge power of an outlet and when the charge is less than 30%, it loses power faster than it charges it, and when it has more it takes hours to get up 10%. Does that sound accurate and normal? If so, I will just have to know I cant depend on my computer to charge my phone when it is too low.