Razr vs. Razr Maxx

jwladisc

Reaction score
I have read the last few posts about being able to upgrade and what people recommend. I think I like what I have heard about the Maxx, but my question is:
With a price differential of $100, is the Maxx that much better then the Razr, and what would be the benefits you would get out of it?
Looking to purchase tomorrow, so please respond! :)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Yes, I would pay the extra money for the Maxx version. Considering that you cannot remove the battery, I think it is worth it. Also, you will get more internal storage with the Maxx version.

I would look online to see if you can get it cheaper than with Verizon. You can get it from Amazon for $230 right now.

I have heard that you can use 64 gig SD cards with the Razr Maxx...not sure if that applies to the regular Razr.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think the Maxx is aimed towards people who are usually away from a charging source. If you can be near a charging source most of the time (I know I am), then I personally don't think it's worth the upgrade. Then again I have a Nexus and I can easily swap mine out:p

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I think it is preference and how the phone feels to you...there are several who didn't like the slimness of the Razr but are excited about the Maxx as it offers a bit more thickness but not necessarily more weight...

I like my Razr - size, feel, etc but I like the idea of the Maxx as well...the best you can do is go to VZW and handle both of them and see which you like and then decide if the extra $100 is worth it...

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I cant imagine that the 1mm (or less) thickness will matter.

Frankly, I would be tempted to pay $100 for a battery for the Rezound that offered the same battery life for only <1mm thickness. Thats a good trade off.

SANhacker

Reaction score
After watching the unboxing video over at droid life, the thickness is so negligible, I'd get the Maxx hands down.
I use my RAZR all day with no problem but if I was buying today I be Maxx'd out.

Sent from my Droid RAZR (Non Maxx)

OP
J

jwladisc

Reaction score
After watching the unboxing video over at droid life, the thickness is so negligible, I'd get the Maxx hands down.
I use my RAZR all day with no problem but if I was buying today I be Maxx'd out.

Sent from my Droid RAZR (Non Maxx)

So why would you get the Maxx then?? I am always near a power source and always have my phone plugged in..... Hell I have a D1 that's over two years old and battery life isn't an issue (because im always plugged in).... I don't do tons of music and videos, so storage hasn't been an issue either.... The only storage issue i've had is the phone storage because certain apps won't store on the SD card... So it sounds like $100 isn't worth the additional price for the Maxx..... Also, I know you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but I have the $50 credit at Verizon so both phones come down 50 bucks (150 for the Razr and 250 for the Maxx).....
So let me ask this now..... Razr vs. Rezound.... The Rezound sounds very popular on here and it's the same price as the Razr (150)......

JeffDenver

Reaction score
So why would you get the Maxx then?? I am always near a power source and always have my phone plugged in.....
With a long lasting battery, you would no longer have to worry about that. I keep my phone plugged in all the time, but I would grab an extended battery like this in a heartbeat if I could. It is definitely a good thing, and worth paying extra for IMO.

Also, keep in mind that just because you have easy access to power sources does not mean they will charge quickly. Especially if you are using it while charging.

Hell I have a D1 that's over two years old and battery life isn't an issue (because im always plugged in).... I don't do tons of music and videos, so storage hasn't been an issue either.... The only storage issue i've had is the phone storage because certain apps won't store on the SD card... So it sounds like $100 isn't worth the additional price for the Maxx..... Also, I know you can get it cheaper elsewhere, but I have the $50 credit at Verizon so both phones come down 50 bucks (150 for the Razr and 250 for the Maxx).....
Amazon would still be cheaper technically. $230 vs $250. Buying from Verizon would likely be faster and probably less of a hassle, but you will have to decide if that is worth $20 to you. (Also, you might be able to retain your $50 credit for next time if you dont use it up? Might check into that)

EDIT: Sorry, I was talking about the Maxx...the regular Razr is still $200 on Amazon right now.

So let me ask this now..... Razr vs. Rezound.... The Rezound sounds very popular on here and it's the same price as the Razr (150)......
I would say the Rezound. The display is far better (far superior pixel density, better color reproduction, far higher resolution), the battery is removable, HTC will allow you to unlock the bootloader, and you get the iBeats earbuds...even if you dont want them, they are worth at least $70 on eBay right now. They are not the highest quality you can get, but they are definitely better than average. Oh yeah, and the Rezound is currently $50 to $100 cheaper than the Maxx anyway (cheaper on both Verizon and Amazon). I have been told the Rezound has a better camera than the Razr as well (the only phones I have seen that are comparable to it are the galaxy S2 and the iPhone). I am not sure how the reception is on the Razr, but the Rezound has the best 4G I have seen so far and the best GPS I have seen on any phone.

The things the Razr has over the Rezound: Deeper blacks in the display (Super AMOLED rocks), thinner/lighter/more durable, and supposedly the CPU is a little faster (dont go by ghz...it doesnt tell the whole story). And of course, even the "regular" Razr has better battery life.

The main selling point of the Rezound is not the stupid "beats audio by Dre"...it is that display. It is larger than the iPhone4S and still has a better pixel density than the iPhone. As far as I know, it is the only phone that beats the Retina Display when it comes to pixel density, and that is a big deal IMO.

The Razr is an awesome phone...if it had had an HD display, I might have been tempted. I came from a Droid 1 and like Motorola phones in general. Another big minus though was the company...they tend to be a bit on the bossy and totalitarian side when it comes to things like rooting. HTC and Samsung are far more laid back about that stuff.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yes, I would pay the extra money for the Maxx version. Considering that you cannot remove the battery, I think it is worth it. Also, you will get more internal storage with the Maxx version.

I would look online to see if you can get it cheaper than with Verizon. You can get it from Amazon for $230 right now.

I have heard that you can use 64 gig SD cards with the Razr Maxx...not sure if that applies to the regular Razr.

The maxx does not have more storage. It is the exact same phone with a bigger battery.

Sent from my XT912 using DroidForums

SANhacker

Reaction score
So why would you get the Maxx then?? I am always near a power source and always have my phone plugged in..... Hell I have a D1 that's over two years old and battery life isn't an issue (because im always plugged in).... I don't do tons of music and videos, so storage hasn't been an issue either....

I would get the Maxx due to the 3300 mah battery which would allow me to do anything. Including video streaming, game playing, etc. without any fear of the battery running down before day's end. I too am near a cord on most days as I work at home. However there are days, mostly weekends, when I might appreciate 3300 mah. So, for the minor sacrifice in thinness, I would definitely go with the Maxx.

alboboy10

Reaction score
Get the Max its not even a question. Idk how they managed to put a battery twice as big in that phone. I wish they would do the same to mine without affecting how big the phone is.

Garemlin

Developer Relations
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G3 (VZW), Nexus 7 v2
I cant imagine that the 1mm (or less) thickness will matter.

Frankly, I would be tempted to pay $100 for a battery for the Rezound that offered the same battery life for only <1mm thickness. Thats a good trade off.

Believe it or not it actually does. I had the RAZR and hated how it felt in hand. Played with the Maxx last night and the added thickness, even how slight it is, makes it easier to hold. And the added weight makes it feel more balanced.

Tap'd from my G'Nex

Reaction score
I had the razr, then the maxx and believe it or not I went back to the oringal razr.

Ok fellows. Some might ask why on earth did I make a decison to go back to the razr when I had the maxx in hand. Truth be told (for me) the sound quality for my ear was better in the razr (it was sharper) the maxx felt a little distored and constantly had to say what what. I also liked the feel of the the oringnal razr.

Truth be told do I like the extended battery yes and I really wanted to like this phone better and for most people I'd say get the maxx. My ears are just weird.

I am mad at Motorola through. Both phones are not without flaws. The Visual Voice mail volume (when in the ear) does not work at all unless the light is shineing on the sensor in other words the phone must be off the ear. second the volume on the ear during a call might work maybe during the first 10 seconds after putting it to the ear but will lock up while on the ear like 30 sec. workaround take it off the ear or push the power button (but then your light comes on.) The droid X had this same issue and it really angers me that motorola refuses to do anything or maybe it's the chipsets they use.

Some people think I'm a perfectionist and that there is no perfect phone. but let me say this a volume button on a phone is so basic in fuctionality and design. it's like buying a remote control tv and the channel button does not work. it's bad enough that the manufactures get away with this but why do our customers accept this? doesn't paying $300.00 or $649.00 for a phone that does not work correctly bother anyone. is this world sick or what? oh before I forget both on both models the teathering does not work properly you can't get to sites like yahoo, hotmail and some other https sites.

Anyway people enjoy your maxx if I had nomal hearing I'd say the maxx is the right choice providing you are willing to accept the other problems I mentioned above that both models have (it's a motorola thing)

OP
J

jwladisc

Reaction score
Ok fellows. Some might ask why on earth did I make a decison to go back to the razr when I had the maxx in hand. Truth be told (for me) the sound quality for my ear was better in the razr (it was sharper) the maxx felt a little distored and constantly had to say what what. I also liked the feel of the the oringnal razr.

I went with the Razr, mainly for the cheaper cost, and because battery life really hasn't been an issue for me. I've had it for almost two days now, and I had a couple of questions maybe you could answer. I was playing words for about an hour or so and I noticed that the screen was gettign very warm, almost hot to touch. Now I know my display is probably set a bit high, but it seemed to be mostly an issue at the top of the phone where I am assuming the battery is located. Is this normal, and do other owners experience the same thing? Also, seems when I am at home and connected to my wi-fi, I do not get 4G. I was having trouble connecting thru wi-fi, even though it showed some bars, and I was at home, so I would turn it off, and then my 4G would light up and not have an issue. I would think that if it were unable to connect through my wi-fi, it would then try and use the 4G (or 3G) without having to turn off the wi-fi? Is this not true?

Reaction score
I went with the Razr, mainly for the cheaper cost, and because battery life really hasn't been an issue for me. I've had it for almost two days now, and I had a couple of questions maybe you could answer. I was playing words for about an hour or so and I noticed that the screen was gettign very warm, almost hot to touch. Now I know my display is probably set a bit high, but it seemed to be mostly an issue at the top of the phone where I am assuming the battery is located. Is this normal, and do other owners experience the same thing? Also, seems when I am at home and connected to my wi-fi, I do not get 4G. I was having trouble connecting thru wi-fi, even though it showed some bars, and I was at home, so I would turn it off, and then my 4G would light up and not have an issue. I would think that if it were unable to connect through my wi-fi, it would then try and use the 4G (or 3G) without having to turn off the wi-fi? Is this not true?

Yes my friend it is unfortunately normal. The first time i returned the razr it was because i had a 4 year old playing a few space games. The battery was draining 10% per half hour the screen was getting hot. What i have done to help the situcation is put the widgets up of gps bluetooth and 2 others and i have everything off. I also lowerwd the brightness of the screen to minimum usi.g the phone in the houseunder this brightness is fine for me. If u want an additional mesure put your phone to allow only 3g. Again if i didnt have my hearing sensitivity issue i would gotten the maxx. As far as the 4g and wireless thing for me sometimes i recieve both at a time sometimes wireless blocks out 4 g. Im on the razr now any grammer or spelling issues sorry virtural keyboards are not my best specially of use