RAZR vs Galaxy Nexus vs. Rezound

rherron

Reaction score
I think any of these would be nice and I am leaning heavily toward buying the RAZR in a couple of weeks. I haven't pre-ordered it yet as I want to put it in my hands first, but I may cave and just order it now (if they are still available). One thing I cannot understand is people's affinity for cameras on phones. In my estimation, none of them are that great if you are actually into photography, or even just want decent pictures of the family posing in front of the fireplace at Christmas. A razor thin $200 point-and-shoot is far, far better. Something like the Canon PowerShot Elph 300HS (which I have) will smoke any of these and is smaller than all of them (and is $179 at Amazon). Especially if you're a woman and carry a purse, why not throw this thing in there? My wife and I have a 3 year old son and if I had to rely on getting pictures with my DROID I wouldn't have many, and I don't think this would be any different if I had one of the upcoming DROIDS. Taking photographs of kids requires something substantially faster than any of these devices (I use a Nixon D80 DSLR). And taking pictures inside, at night, in less-than-ideal light, requires a much better camera and flsh if you want a picture without a lot of noise. Switching lenses to fit the situation is also a huge plus if you want a quality shot. Can't do that on a cellphone. Can't even control any of the settings. It's auto-only, and that works fine outside on a sunny day, but anywhere else... I just find cameras on phones to be of little real use for pictures that I want for a lifetime. Pictures of my buddies doing a keg stand are probably equally "good" from any of these new DROIDS or an iPhone or whatever, but none of these phone cameras can hold a candle to a real camera, IMO.

bjorn65

Reaction score
I spoke to Verizon and they informed me the DROID Razr is global. But it was designed with global roaming turned off, you have to call to turn it on before you travel. On the Motorola website if you look up xt912 the USA version of the Razr, it supports all gsm bands 2 G and 3 G, plus Lte. The 910, is the rest of the world version, that does not support lte. The Bionic does not support GSM so it is not a world phone. The HTC REZOUND also supports gsm also which should also make it a global phone.

The important of this is when you travel and get the phone unlocked by Verizon you can buy a local sim, and get cheap data and calls from a local sim. like in England you can get for £10 a prepaid sim. That gives you 500 MB and 500 min for around $16. not bad. You do not have to pay Verizon new global rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

silver6054

Reaction score
I spoke to Verizon and they informed me the DROID Razr is global. But it was designed with global roaming turned off, you have to call to turn it on before you travel. On the Motorola website if you look up xt912 the USA version of the Razr, it supports all gsm bands 2 G and 3 G, plus Lte. The 910, is the rest of the world version, that does not support lte. The Bionic does not support GSM so it is not a world phone. The HTC REZOUND also supports gsm also which should also make it a global phone.

The important of this is when you travel and get the phone unlocked by Verizon you can buy a local sim, and get cheap data and calls from a local sim. like in England you can get for £10 a prepaid sim. That gives you 500 MB and 500 min for around $16. not bad. You do not have to pay Verizon new global rate.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
Well, since Motorola said it is not enabled on the VZ phone, I suspect that means that VZ can't/won't enable it. I wouldn't trust what a Verizon person says before they have the phone generally available! Again, on VZs page, it gives the networks as: CDMA 800, 1900 EVDO REV A/LTE B13 700

With all their global phones, you have to call, to either get the Vodafone SIM enabled, or to get the phone unlocked for a local SIM, so this sounds more like the standard statement. Be nice to be proved wrong though.

bjorn65

Reaction score
The droid Razr is global I spoke to Verizon after my preorder and they confirmed to me that it is global and supports GSM. The xt912 is the droid http://developer.motorola.com/products/droid-razr-xt912/Razr and the xt910 is the euro version of the same phone. On the motorola web site if gives you the spec of the phone
Is the Droid RAZR really global? On the Verizon Wireless page, it lists just LTE and CDMA. In other countries, the RAZR is quad-band GSM, but do we know the Verizon Droid RAZR is?

EDIT: Confirmed on Moto Owners Forum: The RAZR is NOT global.

Ian, I have an official answer on this:

DROID RAZR was designed to leverage the blazing-fast speeds of Verizon Wireless’ 4G LTE network and worldphone functionality has not been included at this time. Please note that we've launched Motorola RAZR that will be available in many regions across the globe, including Europe, Latin America, Asia, and Middle East.

bjorn65

Reaction score
Well, since Motorola said it is not enabled on the VZ phone, I suspect that means that VZ can't/won't enable it. I wouldn't trust what a Verizon person says before they have the phone generally available! Again, on VZs page, it gives the networks as: CDMA 800, 1900 EVDO REV A/LTE B13 700

With all their global phones, you have to call, to either get the Vodafone SIM enabled, or to get the phone unlocked for a local SIM, so this sounds more like the standard statement. Be nice to be proved wrong though.

The difference being this comes with an LTE sim installed not a Vadafone sim. I believe verizon had to have it turned off, for the phone is not designed to use/ Att or T-mobile Gsm network in the USA, however it can use the GSM Spectrum in Europe Asia, or South America is ok. This is the first LTE global phone on Verizon network. So must of the other global phone use the Sim to connect to gsm networks when you travel.

silver6054

Reaction score
The difference being this comes with an LTE sim installed not a Vadafone sim. I believe verizon had to have it turned off, for the phone is not designed to use/ Att or T-mobile Gsm network in the USA, however it can use the GSM Spectrum in Europe Asia, or South America is ok. This is the first LTE global phone on Verizon network. So must of the other global phone use the Sim to connect to gsm networks when you travel.

Well, let's see when you get the phone.... The other global phones, e.g. Droid 2 Global, do have all the GSM bands listed on the Verizon website. (And, for that phone, you cannot use GSM in the US, but you can elsewhere.) There are clearly conflicting messages on the global potential of the RAZR, I think the real question is whether something (e.g. the ability to use GSM sims rather than LTE sims) has been disabled in the phone, and if this can simply be enabled by Verizon, or by hacking, or if it really has been "hard" disabled. Once people get these phones, we will have the answer.