Razr vs Bionic?

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
I believe that the Razr is to use the same type of battery technology (the physical battery type, not how the OS handles it..) as the iPhone which is Lithium Polymer. This may be a good thing, or a bad thing as there are certainly pro's and con's for each type of battery.

EDIT: SSHGuru... sorry for posting the same thing as you did. I typed this up and received a call before I could hit submit! :)

No problem.

Much of what will drive which to get is battery life.

Build quality is also important and the razr wins that.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
JohnnytheK

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Now that I've played with both the Razr and Bionic I still kinda like the Bionic.

I still got a few weeks for my update, so I guess I should just wait and see who comes to the top.

davisbs999

Reaction score
First of all, you do not know how the hard reset will function. It could overcome any of these possibilities that you listed.
Second, most people don't root their phone. And if they do they just need to be more safe. Not a big problem.

"First of all, you do not know how the hard reset will function. It could overcome any of these possibilities that you listed."
Yes the hard reset could theoretically overcome these possibilities, but my (numerous) experiences with various bricked android phones indicates that this scenario is doubtful.

"most people don't root their phone"
You do know that this is Droid Forums, right?

"And if they do they just need to be more safe. Not a big problem"
Everyone, from the most brilliant dev to the noob end-user, experiences occasional hiccups when customizing. Clearly, you have little/no experience with rooting.

icefalkon

Reaction score
Hey all, I played with a Razr yesterday and to be honest...it wasn't all that. It has a bigger footprint than the other Android smartphones, it's uncomfortable in the hand, the rubberized back means nothing, absolutely nothing. Yes the Gorilla Glass is nice...however, holding it, playing with one for about 2 hours was just...uncomfortable. The thing is big...I mean BIG. It looks like a tablets little brother more than a phone. After I was done...2 hours...I asked for a Bionic to review. (This was at a Verizon Store in Upstate NY)...they were more than happy to unleash the Bionic from the display and I played with that for about 15 minutes. The Bionic was just as snappy/responsive and frankly feels like a better build. It's heavier, has a more solid feel, and feels better in the hand.

For those who are going to complain about the difference in proc speed...please...the Bionic is fast as hell. Those who will complain about the Bionic's problems...hell...all smartphones have problems.

My opinion...and it's only an opinion...

Wait for the Nexus.

Steve

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
^You talk about it being big....I thought the Nexus was bigger than the RAZR...

If you dont like the size of the RAZR...the Nexus might be worse.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Even though it's not much wider than the Nexus, I bet the "flatness" of the Razr makes it feel less ergonomic and therefore feel wider.

icefalkon

Reaction score
Even though it's not much wider than the Nexus, I bet the "flatness" of the Razr makes it feel less ergonomic and therefore feel wider.

That's it exactly. It's SO thin and wide it feels uncomfortable in the hand. Like it could slip out at any given time. I don't have small hands either...more like oven mits...and this thing just didn't "feel" right. As far as quality of build, I have to say it...the Bionic felt better. I don't own a Bio, it's just the closest comparison there is to the Razr at this point. My replacement DX is rooted and chugging along jussst fine to get me through until the Nexus releases.

Deron

Reaction score
The problem may not necessarily be the size of the screen, but rather the screen size along with the thinness. I've held an iPad comfortably and its screen size is huge. The problem I'm having with my Razr is that the thinness makes it hard to grip and text at the same time. And I am comparing it to my Droid x which I just deactivated. I find my fingers are too far up on the screen when I hold the Razr in landscape mode, causing lots of typos and need to delete and correct. It is just an adjustment, though. My brain will learn to aim a little lower ... that's what she said (couldn't resist).

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its just kinda wild someone using a Droid X thinking the RAZR doesnt feel good in the hand..lol. Must be the thinness. Its also ever so slightly wider than the Droid X too.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
deron did you ever finish those battery tests you were doing? I can't remember if it was last night I read you were doing that, or this morning... a little sleep deprived right now. :icon_eek:

Deron

Reaction score
deron did you ever finish those battery tests you were doing? I can't remember if it was last night I read you were doing that, or this morning... a little sleep deprived right now. :icon_eek:

I finished the battery tests on the Droid X. Haven't done any for the Droid Razr cause I just activated my phone last night.

So far, I can intuitively say that 4g drains the battery faster than 3g. But I will need to get some specific numbers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah 4G definitely does... 3G/Wifi should theoretically be better than the X with the bigger battery.

icefalkon

Reaction score
Its just kinda wild someone using a Droid X thinking the RAZR doesnt feel good in the hand..lol. Must be the thinness. Its also ever so slightly wider than the Droid X too.

I know jroc...I know...I was expecting to LOVE the Razr with me moving up from an X. However after playing with it...there is a completely different feel to the device. I looked at the Rezound, Rebound, the bubble gum pink thing...and it doesn't even hold a candle to the Bio...none the less any of the higher end smarthphones. Specs are specs...but holding and comparing in person are what sells me on a device. After this with the Razr, I'm leery of pre-ordering the Nexus when it becomes available. I want to hold it first and play with it before laying down any cash.

S

icefalkon

Reaction score

Hmmm...I notice the similarities...but I also see that the Nexus is thicker by a small margin, heavier by a small bit too. Thinking back on yesterday, I am wondering if my problem with the Razr was the "flatness" of the back of the phone...You know how some are rounded, others like the DX and the DX2 have that top heavy curve by the camera...the Razr is definitely more flat, and perhaps that was what was giving me the feeling of not having a good grip on unit.