Razr screen...

SSHGuru

Silver Member
Reaction score
For good reason. I come from an iPhone 4 and the Droid Razr screen is just bad. Blue tint, poor whites, pixelated ... and then black splotches in the dark. It's hilariously bad. Of course, if you're coming from even worse phones, it's going to seem better. Anything will.

You guys should listen to Engadget's podcast sometimes, they will rip into Motorola and the Razr for all of these reasons (especially laggy Motoblur).

There is no motoblur except some widgets you don't need to use.

I'm sick of hearing about something that doesn't exist.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Half my work has them, see'm all the time - not that impressed rather lose some screen quality to run android. Also, I'm coming from a DX- screen on my RAZR is nice for me, in comparison. Not saying it's #1 or even close just saying it's getting a bad rap iMO.

Agree. RAZR screen is not perfect but its certainly not bad. Its actually very very nice. Motorola themed their UI around its strengths ( blacks and dark colors)

I love dark themes so the screen is pretty nice in my opinion. I wouldn't go so far as to say the screen is phenomenal but it certainly is no where near bad. That to me is a little overboard :)

Sent from Droid RAZR

mzjin

Reaction score
There is no motoblur except some widgets you don't need to use.

I'm sick of hearing about something that doesn't exist.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Um, what? I use a Razr and it's Motorola's skin. You don't want to call it Moto blur? Who cares? It's a Moto UI. It's still bad.

You can hear my complaints echoed by Engadget's editor here (Major moto hate lol): Engadget Mobile Podcast 113 - 11.19.2011 - Engadget

fauxreall

Reaction score
the colors in yellow are quite off too. i took a photo inside a gymn with a large yellow mat, colors are super vivid on the phone but once uploaded to the computer, yellows were actually rather dull. interesting to note how different it is.. rather deceiving.

Androidatic

Reaction score
Um, what? I use a Razr and it's Motorola's skin. You don't want to call it Moto blur? Who cares? It's a Moto UI. It's still bad.

You can hear my complaints echoed by Engadget's editor here (Major moto hate lol): Engadget Mobile Podcast 113 - 11.19.2011 - Engadget

What in particular is bad about it to YOU? I'm not really interested in what Engadget has to say but I'd like to hear why YOU dislike about it.

I'm getting to the point where I totally disregard website reviews on just about anything. Just like video games and other electronics, reviewers are biased and, as is human nature, that bias comes in out in reviews. I'd much rather hear from people on a forum and compile their thoughts and impressions than a commercial site that is susceptible to being swayed by free gifts and monetary influence.

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score

I agree with this. moto UI is garbage... its improved vastly over the droid x. but its still crap.. but I'm sure there are a couple people that like it but I'm not one of em lol..

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

mzjin

Reaction score
What in particular is bad about it to YOU? I'm not really interested in what Engadget has to say but I'd like to hear why YOU dislike about it.

I'm getting to the point where I totally disregard website reviews on just about anything. Just like video games and other electronics, reviewers are biased and, as is human nature, that bias comes in out in reviews. I'd much rather hear from people on a forum and compile their thoughts and impressions than a commercial site that is susceptible to being swayed by free gifts and monetary influence.

The interface should focus on useability and speed not 3d animations it can't handle without frame rate drops.

Touch wiz on the galaxy s2 was at least smooth and fast.

Androidatic

Reaction score
The interface should focus on useability and speed not 3d animations it can't handle without frame rate drops.

Touch wiz on the galaxy s2 was at least smooth and fast.

Mine seems fine, but to each his own. I've been playing games and such with no issues.

Not all phones are like everyone that's why there are so many choices.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Zandar

Reaction score
To the dude quoting Engadget: seriously? They're one of the more biased sites out there; getting better, but still not very objective. I read Engadget all the time, but I'm not dense enough to take whatever they say as smartphone Gospel.

Ignorance is bliss. Don't go near an iPhone 4S.
I don't care for the iPhone 4S's screen for two, major reasons: too small, and not OLED. It's a very nice screen, for a 3.5" LCD. That said, 3.5" is too small to be usable, and I don't like the contrast ratios or the non-blacks on LCD screens (yes, even the IPS LCD made by LG for Apple). Apple's screen is basically a higher res OG Droid screen; both IPS LCD with a great colour gamut, but neither hold a candle to sAMOLED. It's like comparing an LCD HDTV to an LED HDTV; actually, it's almost exactly like that.

As for the "pixellation," it's non-existent in real life usage. Can I see pixels on my RAZR if I really try? Yes. Do I ever see them in regular usage? Not even close. The RAZR doesn't technically have the best screen out there, but there's no way you would know the difference in day to day usage. One thing to remember about tech blogs: they have several devices on them at all times. They're looking at the RAZR's screen right next to a SGSII; taking macro shots, running comparison videos, etc. They can then say, "Oh, I do notice that slight blue tint you were talking about." If they didn't have the other phones for comparison, the negligible differences would become just that: negligible.

Bottom line: the RAZR has a beautiful screen. It's not the best out there, but the differences between it and the best screen will never rear their heads in normal usage. That and the iPhone 4S's screen is old tech; a very good example, but old nonetheless (kind of like how good carburetors were right when fuel injection was released).

RecklessFable

Reaction score
The Apple iPhone has perfected the screen format that was cutting edge in 2008. If I had narrower fingers and enjoyed holding my phone 8" from my face it would be the perfect choice. But for now, folks who want a bigger iPhone just get themselves an iPad.

That being said, I do notice the pixelation on my Razr every time I read a text message. It "tugs" at my eye when I read. I'm learning to adjust but holding it farther away...

I understand that some folks just can't see it (or the blue tint) but then again, I learned that some folks can't detect the level in sound quality one gets from Westone or Grado headphones in a world where folks think Beats are, ahem, "Da Shizatz"... or whatever.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The Apple iPhone has perfected the screen format that was cutting edge in 2008. If I had narrower fingers and enjoyed holding my phone 8" from my face it would be the perfect choice. But for now, folks who want a bigger iPhone just get themselves an iPad.

That being said, I do notice the pixelation on my Razr every time I read a text message. It "tugs" at my eye when I read. I'm learning to adjust but holding it farther away...

I understand that some folks just can't see it (or the blue tint) but then again, I learned that some folks can't detect the level in sound quality one gets from Westone or Grado headphones in a world where folks think Beats are, ahem, "Da Shizatz"... or whatever.

I read an article in an audio magazine years ago. They took some audiophiles and had them listen to speakers. From cheap to expensive all where hidden behind curtains. None could pick out the good vs the bad. To be fair the volumes were low didn't produce much noise. Still opinion is just that opinion.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

gmcmccoy

Reaction score
Well most of the people I work with has an Iphone and they are really impressed with the color rendition on my Razr. They like to put theirs next to mine and compare and almost everyone says mine has the better screen. Just for what it's worth.