RAZR Screen Dark Spots?

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
So recently I've been seeing dark spots on my screen when it has a dark background. I don't know if it's the actual screen or if it's a software issue. It only happens in a few apps such as the default texting app and the default camera app. The other thing I was thinking is it could be the pins on the back of the plate over the display ribbon connectors aren't making a connection properly. They did this before and caused my soft keys to go insane. I'm on vacation now but when I get back home I will check that theory. Is anyone else having this issue, or had an issue with dark spots on their RAZR/RAZR MAXX?

Sent from my resurrected DROID RAZR with ICS

cbroussard99

Reaction score
StephenC said:
So recently I've been seeing dark spots on my screen when it has a dark background. I don't know if it's the actual screen or if it's a software issue. It only happens in a few apps such as the default texting app and the default camera app. The other thing I was thinking is it could be the pins on the back of the plate over the display ribbon connectors aren't making a connection properly. They did this before and caused my soft keys to go insane. I'm on vacation now but when I get back home I will check that theory. Is anyone else having this issue, or had an issue with dark spots on their RAZR/RAZR MAXX?

I have the same black spots on my blacked out screens too...

jaye712

Reaction score
So do i.always since day one.even with replacements

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

fekish

Reaction score
I see then as well, but i thought it was on my screen protector, kind of advert...

I was wrong? :)

Sent from my XT910 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
They are normal, believe it or not. It is the adjesive between the two screens. It is only visible on a dark screen in a dark room.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jaye712

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
They are normal, believe it or not. It is the adjesive between the two screens. It is only visible on a dark screen in a dark room.

Very true

DROIDRAZR215"unrooted"

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
TisMyDroid said:

Ughhhh you're KIDDING me! That kinda blows. It freaked me out last night. I was flying down to the Keys with my dad and a couple other guys, and when we hit the Everglades and it was pitch black outside and inside the plane, you could see every single spot. I thought I was going to have to throw this one on eBay and buy a different one.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah Stephen, sorry. It is normal. Some Razrs have more spots than others. If it is any consolation, you only notice it if you are on a very dark or black screen and in a very dark room. I actually think many people returned their phones thinking they had a defect when the phones first came out before Verizon was aware that it is normal.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL

Yep, it's something that's present on all AMOLED screens in some form or fashion. It might be more noticeable on some screens than on others, but as annoying as it can be in dark environments, it's 100% normal.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
bsweetness said:
Yep, it's something that's present on all AMOLED screens in some form or fashion. It might be more noticeable on some screens than on others, but as annoying as it can be in dark environments, it's 100% normal.

Well at least that's normal. Is it normal for the soft keys to quit working when people go on vacation? Ugh I'm seriously considering selling this and getting a Nexus.

Sent from my XOOM with Jelly Bean!

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Maybe we should rename this thread "My Droid RAZR Hates Me."

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
StephenC said:
Well at least that's normal. Is it normal for the soft keys to quit working when people go on vacation? Ugh I'm seriously considering selling this and getting a Nexus.

No that is not normal (I know you knew that). Did you figure out why?

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
No. I'm in the Keys and won't be home until Saturday. I tried getting some tools at RadioShack, but they didn't have a T3 Torx for sale. I was going to ask if they had one in the back (they replace screens at this store) but the manager was a prick. She slapped the tool kit they had in my hands and walked away.

I am kind of pissed because there's no good virtual soft key apps that I can download without being rooted. I got one called "smart actions" and only the home button works. Back just closes the stupid task bar and goes back to the same page I was on. Menu is the app's menu. Absolutely worthless.

OP
StephenC

StephenC

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto X (2nd Gen)
Well my phone decided to fix itself... the soft keys are spastic now though. They'll randomly activate like someone is hitting them really fast. I think it's Steve Jobs' ghost trying to get me to buy an iPhone.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Are you anywhere near the Bermuda Triangle? That sounds like spooky stuff. I wonder if the salty ocean air is causing corrosion problems inside the phone.