Razr root

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first smartphone and I've heard many people talk about rooting. I've read some of the posts but still am uncertain. What is rooting? What are the benefits? Could you brick the razr by rooting it? And also how do I root? Are there any downsides? Also can you update after rooting?
Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Here are a couple of links for you (at the bottom)...

Rooting is gaining complete access of your phones files - think of it like being an admin on your home computer vs a guest user. The benefits vary for everyone - think about what you want to gain from rooting. Your phone won't perform any different by just rooting your device, it performs differently when you tweak or mod the actual device with custom ROMs or hacks. The downsides probably also vary by person - however, if you are uncomfortable or unsure of what you are doing, you can "brick" (render your device inoperable) and it does void the warranty (the old saying, you break it - you buy it comes into play) - so definitely feel comfortable in what you thinking about doing. You can update once you root, you just have to be sure that you have the phone in it's stock form (meaning if you deleted, removed, froze or renamed any of the bloat, that it is back in its original form).

Links as said above...

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/632-what-root-means-stop-asking.html

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ot-your-motorola-droid-razr-windows-only.html

Good luck!

OP
shahzaib10

shahzaib10

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but I dont think I'm gonna root it.

scottysize

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone XS Max
I usually don't root until I get bored with it, or there's a new update from Verizon that breaks stuff. (ICS will probably do this by the way.) Then I root and switch to a ROM that works again.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
Thanks for the help but I dont think I'm gonna root it.

You are welcome and either way, the Razr is a great phone - stock or rooted.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13
I usually don't root until I get bored with it, or there's a new update from Verizon that breaks stuff. (ICS will probably do this by the way.) Then I root and switch to a ROM that works again.

You get bored with something Scotty :)...

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey guys. This is my first smartphone and I've heard many people talk about rooting. I've read some of the posts but still am uncertain. What is rooting? What are the benefits? Could you brick the razr by rooting it? And also how do I root? Are there any downsides? Also can you update after rooting?
smalltowngirl13 hit the nail on the head...you really should have a pretty good understanding of what you want to accomplish before you root. But, most importantly, if something goes wrong do you understand how to recover? This forum has a lot of users who are "wizzards" when it comes to root and are more than glad to help when someone is having a problem. I think the key is know enough about what you're doing that you don't get into problems that you cannot recover from. Also, understand the "lingo". Wizzards use terminology and lingo that new users just don't have a clue or understanding of. And, the different apps used to backup, sbf, flash, recover, root, unroot etc can be confusing. A good understanding of the "lingo" and the apps is a big help...particularly if something went wrong.

kalel

Reaction score
rooting issues

Hey guys, just rooted my razr the other day, and now i'm having issues with the contacts app, every time I try to add a contact or view one if force closes on me and says, process com.motorola.contacts has stopped unexpectedly, and nothing I do is helping. I did delete a bunch of bloatware on the phone but i'm wondering if I accidenttly erased something pertaining to that??? Please help, and another question has anybody installed the 2.3.6 update yet, I know it's not out OTA but i've seen a ton about it on here??

Droid Razr
6.11.748 2.3.5
rooted

furbymac

Reaction score
What all did u delete after u rooted? Sounds like u deleted something u shouldn't have

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Hey guys, just rooted my razr the other day, and now i'm having issues with the contacts app, every time I try to add a contact or view one if force closes on me and says, process com.motorola.contacts has stopped unexpectedly, and nothing I do is helping. I did delete a bunch of bloatware on the phone but i'm wondering if I accidenttly erased something pertaining to that??? Please help, and another question has anybody installed the 2.3.6 update yet, I know it's not out OTA but i've seen a ton about it on here??

Droid Razr
6.11.748 2.3.5
rooted
Well, I wouldn't worry about the update at this point. If you're rooted and deleted...not moved or renamed...a bunch of files you'll probably not be able to install the update when it comes out anyway...not until we figure out what you deleted. For information: Rule number one of root....DO NOT DELETE FILES. Freeze them, move them, or rename them. When an update comes out you will most likely have to unfreeze, rename back to stock, replace moved files and unroot before you can successfully download and install the update.

More specifically about your problem...do you remember what you deleted?

kalel

Reaction score
What all did u delete after u rooted? Sounds like u deleted something u shouldn't have

I was really careful just deleted stuff like blockbuster and Netflix and other bloatware but must have deleted something, I downloaded go contacts and have been surviving on that but still hits a road block from time to time, considering flashing the 2.3.6 update to see if that reinstalls what I need

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I was really careful just deleted stuff like blockbuster and Netflix and other bloatware but must have deleted something, I downloaded go contacts and have been surviving on that but still hits a road block from time to time, considering flashing the 2.3.6 update to see if that reinstalls what I need
Well, here's what I recommend...I'm not a expert on root, but I'd go next door to the Razr Hack section and state your problem. A lot of users who are "wizzards" with these sort of things hang out there and will probably be able to get you help the fastest.

kalel

Reaction score
just off the top of my head I erased the blockbuster app, netflix, arc video lite, citirx, dlna, guided tour, quick office, video surf and verizon video , yeah I tried the new 2.3.6 update and it said there was an issue because no arc video lite, any body know of a stock app list and apk files? The phone runs fine except for the contacts stuff lol, I just got a little ahead of myself because of how fast and easy it was to root it!!

simpsonao17

Reaction score
Is there a way to flash back to the stock 2.3.5 gb to unroot my phone if I root. Currently have a Maxx