RAZR price drop at Verizonwireless.com

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
I recently bought a RAZR that has 8GB internal and a 16GB SD card for $299 using my early upgrade through a Verizon store (I wasn't due for a discount until August). Is the one that's being sold now for $199 the same thing, or is it truly only 16GB total (for the entire phone)?

I bough it last Friday...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

swallman

Reaction score
I recently bought a RAZR that has 8GB internal and a 16GB SD card for $299 using my early upgrade through a Verizon store (I wasn't due for a discount until August). Is the one that's being sold now for $199 the same thing, or is it truly only 16GB total (for the entire phone)?

I bough it last Friday...

Your Razr actually has 16GB of internal memory plus the 16GB card. Unfortunately this has been very confusing for customers because of how the internal 16GB storage is used.

Out of the 16GB internal, some of it is reserved for application storage and some of it is reserved for the operating system. Therefore you only end up with 8GB of internal storage for your own personal stuff (photos, music, etc.)

Yeah, it's rather deceiving that you purchase a 16GB phone but only get to actually use 8 of it. It will be even more confusing with the new model coming out without the SD card.

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
Your Razr actually has 16GB of internal memory plus the 16GB card. Unfortunately this has been very confusing for customers because of how the internal 16GB storage is used.

Out of the 16GB internal, some of it is reserved for application storage and some of it is reserved for the operating system. Therefore you only end up with 8GB of internal storage for your own personal stuff (photos, music, etc.)

Yeah, it's rather deceiving that you purchase a 16GB phone but only get to actually use 8 of it. It will be even more confusing with the new model coming out without the SD card.

Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, I didnt find it deceiving; I was just trying to figure out what model I actually had.

Just to clarify, does this new 16GB model have an SD card slot? It wasn't clear to me...

swallman

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification! Yeah, I didnt find it deceiving; I was just trying to figure out what model I actually had.

Just to clarify, does this new 16GB model have an SD card slot? It wasn't clear to me...

That's a good question. I don't see an SD card slot listed in the specs, but they didn't specifically list the SD Card slot in the regular Razr specs either (just the fact that it comes with an SD card preinstalled). The photos they are showing for the 16GB Razr appear to have the same cover on the side where to put a card into and a doubt they would make a totally different phone just to remove the SD card ability.

EDIT: I did find this in the specs for the new 16GB Razr so I would assume it comes with an SD Card slot: "
Advanced security features including device and SD card encryption"

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
That's a good question. I don't see an SD card slot listed in the specs, but they didn't specifically list the SD Card slot in the regular Razr specs either (just the fact that it comes with an SD card preinstalled). The photos they are showing for the 16GB Razr appear to have the same cover on the side where to put a card into and a doubt they would make a totally different phone just to remove the SD card ability.

EDIT: I did find this in the specs for the new 16GB Razr so I would assume it comes with an SD Card slot: "
Advanced security features including device and SD card encryption"

Hmmm, okay. If it is indeed true that the 16GB version does have an SD card slot, I think I'll return mine and re-buy the cheaper one...

swallman

Reaction score
Hmmm, okay. If it is indeed true that the 16GB version does have an SD card slot, I think I'll return mine and re-buy the cheaper one...

If it was me, I'd return yours and get your $ 299 back (less $35 restocking fee), and wait until the Razr Maxx is supposed to come out next week on the 26th and get it. It's supposed to include the 16GB card plus have the extended battery. As long as you're within your 30 day return period, just hold out for another week and see what comes up. That is unless you really need the cash and/or don't want the thicker phone...

Zandar

Reaction score

Return it, get a new one on Amazon for even less (they're $170 right now; should go down even more), and then spend $75 on a 64GB card. Boom.

(Ideas sound better if you say "boom" at the end.)

Sliced from my RAZR

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
Return it, get a new one on Amazon for even less (they're $170 right now; should go down even more), and then spend $75 on a 64GB card. Boom.

(Ideas sound better if you say "boom" at the end.)

Sliced from my RAZR

Sounds like a great idea, but I probably won't qualify for that. The upgrade I got was an early upgrade through Verizon...

No boom for me.

lyrictenor1

Reaction score
If it was me, I'd return yours and get your $ 299 back (less $35 restocking fee), and wait until the Razr Maxx is supposed to come out next week on the 26th and get it. It's supposed to include the 16GB card plus have the extended battery. As long as you're within your 30 day return period, just hold out for another week and see what comes up. That is unless you really need the cash and/or don't want the thicker phone...

I'm considering this idea. I'd like to see this phone in the flesh first...gotta say, I'm really digging the thinness of the RAZR, especially after coming from a Bionic (and especially when I used the Bionic with an extended battery).

PridgNYC

Reaction score
My reciept says, (and I was told) that the return period is 14 days. I'm kind of pissed now as I bought my wife's Droid RAZR on the 31st of December, then the turn around and announce the Droid RAZR MAXX and the $100 cheaper 16gb Droid RAZR. I could have just used the 16gb card from my wife's OG droid and saved $100, although I would gladly let them keep the extra hundred if I could trade in for the RAZR MAXX. My wife is pissed about the battery life.

Zandar

Reaction score
My reciept says, (and I was told) that the return period is 14 days. I'm kind of pissed now as I bought my wife's Droid RAZR on the 31st of December, then the turn around and announce the Droid RAZR MAXX and the $100 cheaper 16gb Droid RAZR. I could have just used the 16gb card from my wife's OG droid and saved $100, although I would gladly let them keep the extra hundred if I could trade in for the RAZR MAXX. My wife is pissed about the battery life.
I don't know why you'd be pissed about this. They could announce a quad core phone that's 5mm thin and will do 40 hours of video on a single charge for $15 and it wouldn't take anything away from your device. If you're the type that gets jealous and has buyer's remorse very easily, I'd recommend not looking at any tech blogs or news for at least a year and enjoy your killer device.

pendulum1976

Reaction score
What's the Max storage you can use o raze? I know highest GB size on original droid was 32 GB

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

PridgNYC

Reaction score
I don't know why you'd be pissed about this. They could announce a quad core phone that's 5mm thin and will do 40 hours of video on a single charge for $15 and it wouldn't take anything away from your device. If you're the type that gets jealous and has buyer's remorse very easily, I'd recommend not looking at any tech blogs or news for at least a year and enjoy your killer device.

I'm pissed because it is the same phone (the 16gb RAZR) for $100 dollars less. The only difference is that it doesn't come with the 16gb sd card, (which I could have transferred from the original Droid or purchased for $20). I'd feel a lot better about missing out on the Droid RAZR MAXX if I hadn't just paid the premium ($299) price for the Droid RAZR. I am annoyed about the RAZR MAXX announcement, but pissed about the $100 dollar price reduction. And the fact that they announced it right after the Christmas return window closed.