RAZR Notifications

skechijian

Reaction score
I love my new RAZR except for one thing. I don't want to get a notification for my gmail, only for my text. But I can't turn off just gmail. I have gone in two different ways and unchecked it. But it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Androidatic

Reaction score
I love my new RAZR except for one thing. I don't want to get a notification for my gmail, only for my text. But I can't turn off just gmail. I have gone in two different ways and unchecked it. But it still doesn't work. Any suggestions?

Did you do it in the Gmail app itself? It worked for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
Open up Gmail. Press the menu key, then select more. Now select settings. Tap on your Gmail account name, scroll to the bottom, and under notification settings uncheck that box.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
I have the opposite problem. I like an audible notification when I receive an e-mail and cannot find a way to enable it in the g mail app. It was there in my OG buy not the Razr.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
From your main home screen press menu, settings, sound and notification ringtone. That's where you set your Gmail sound.

SallyC

Reaction score
I have the opposite problem. I like an audible notification when I receive an e-mail and cannot find a way to enable it in the g mail app. It was there in my OG buy not the Razr.

When you go into settings on the gmail application you need to select your account. Then scroll down and it's there.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
From your main home screen press menu, settings, sound and notification ringtone. That's where you set your Gmail sound.

When I do that even though I select an audio file that has a different name than the file i use as the phones ring tone the phones ringtone is what plays. But when I get an email I get no sound at all. I do get a different tone when I get a text message but not with gmail.

Not sure if this affects anything but these are ringtones and notification tones I created myself.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
Could be because you created them. You may have them in the wrong folder. Try a stock notification sound and see if that works.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
When you go into settings on the gmail application you need to select your account. Then scroll down and it's there.

Under my gmail setting I see the box for email notifications but that is only for the status bar. I want to assign an audible tone to notify me when an email arrives and there is no place to select that in the gmail settings.

Icyhot1966

Reaction score
Under my gmail setting I see the box for email notifications but that is only for the status bar. I want to assign an audible tone to notify me when an email arrives and there is no place to select that in the gmail settings.

True. The setting within the Gmail app itself is for visual notification only.

SallyC

Reaction score

From your home screen in Menu, Settings, Sound you can do this with Notifications but I think that's all or nothing. Depending on what you need that may not work. Some have suggested Handcent for more options but I have not used it.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
From your home screen in Menu, Settings, Sound you can do this with Notifications but I think that's all or nothing. Depending on what you need that may not work. Some have suggested Handcent for more options but I have not used it.

I have changed notification sound in the main setting menu to a stock sound and am awaiting a test email i sent to see if that works. I also sent a text and the notification i have set that I created played when I got the text.

Stock notification worked. I have my notification files in a folder named notifications. This worked on the OG.

brucin

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola X Pure
OK I finally figured out what was wrong. When I created my notification tones I forgot to convert the tone that would not play on the Razr to mp3. It was still in wav format. This played on the OG but apparently the Razr was having an issue using the wav file as a notification.

Now once again when I receive an e-mail my Razr says "bad robot".

OP
S

skechijian

Reaction score
Open up Gmail. Press the menu key, then select more. Now select settings. Tap on your Gmail account name, scroll to the bottom, and under notification settings uncheck that box.
I did this and I still get notifications