Razr nonstop data access

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
I had the EXACT same issue today!! Constant data up and down. It drained my battery and got really hot too. I software "battery pulled", shut off and restarted multiple times and then it would start data use again. I did not install anything today so it wasnt a new program. One thing I noticed is that it doesnt show in battery info anything unusual but when I went into Task Manager it showed the music player using a lot of CPU. I thought maybe it was Motosync so I unchecked my computer... still did it. I stopped the music process and it still kept going. But then a couple hours later stopped! Now I guess I will see what others say. I thought maybe an update was being pushed. But nothing. Frustrating because I LOVE the phone otherwise.

Damn I turned off motocast today too thinking that was the problem. So far it hasn't done it today. We'll see.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
Ok its doing it again as I type this. So far it seems to be a program called "streaming media" that is doing the damage. Anybody know how to disable it?

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
It was the social networking app. I deleted my accounts on it and the data stopped sending and receiving.

Of course its already killed my battery again. I'm down to 20% and its only been unplugged for 4 hours.

JaBr1884

Reaction score
Hey Busab,

It would probably be helpful to state how you come to the conclusions that you do, for instance, how you decided ~300mb was used at that one time, and what makes you believe "streaming media" is the issue.

Probably not related, but I've noticed when using Pandora and then check battery stats, another program is listed that takes just as much battery as pandora. It is called Mediaserver and seems to mirror Pandora in juice taken, except it received 13.5 mb of data while Pandora received .5 mb of data. I'm guessing this is part of Android that that has always existed and was never listed until this new version of the Battery use list? A google search listed a ton of people complaining of this Mediaserver killing batteries, on all kinds of different phones.

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
300mb is just a guess. It was basically how much data had been used from when it started and when it stopped. All I had done was some lite browsing in between.

The streaming media was based off of a data usage app I downloaded from the market. However, when I downloaded the watchdog app as suggested above it showed the "social networking" app as the culprit. I deleted all my accounts on that app and the data rape immediately stopped. So so far I think that was the problem.

MonkeyMouth

Reaction score
Same issue. Android info shows that
android.process.media is using HALF the CPU! and 25 MB!

photodan70

Reaction score
Music Service

Yes, I agree, it is something with streaming media. Because all I had to do was restart either the music app or my Amazon Cloud Music and it started it all over again!? I dont see social networking causing anything on mine though. Question, were you using the built in Facebook or did you install the full app yet? I have not and wonder if that may be buggy?

300mb is just a guess. It was basically how much data had been used from when it started and when it stopped. All I had done was some lite browsing in between.

The streaming media was based off of a data usage app I downloaded from the market. However, when I downloaded the watchdog app as suggested above it showed the "social networking" app as the culprit. I deleted all my accounts on that app and the data rape immediately stopped. So so far I think that was the problem.

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
Yes, I agree, it is something with streaming media. Because all I had to do was restart either the music app or my Amazon Cloud Music and it started it all over again!? I dont see social networking causing anything on mine though. Question, were you using the built in Facebook or did you install the full app yet? I have not and wonder if that may be buggy?

I was actually using both. I set up the Motorola Facebook app that came with it but ended up downloading the regular Facebook app and using that. I didn't delete my account with the Motorola one until today. Maybe the apps were conflicting?

photodan70

Reaction score
WiFI

Ok, riddle me this. I have had the phone since Friday. I didnt have this problem till today. What difference occured today? I didnt have WiFi. I was on 3g and 4g. I dont think it is the social media affecting it. I can replicate the problem by playing music from the net. Either Amazon or the Music App. I still think it is the media server? I asked about Facebook because I did NOT install the app, nor Twitter and thought maybe there was some update from installing the app. But the variable isnt applicable then since you say you did. So back to media server.... but I am just glad that it may be something that can be fixed software wise, rather then giving up on the beautiful Razr. :biggrin:

OP
busab

busab

Reaction score
Hmmm Idk. But it's definitely the media server.... I think. So you said you did not download the Facebook app. Check the social networking app and see if you have accounts listed in there. If you do try deleting them.

pico1

Reaction score
Not sure if this helps, but I work on a computer all day with internet access. So I pretty much turn everything off, Bluetooth, Wifi, 4G (stay on 3G only), and background data. So basically I can do only text and phone it seems. I'm hesitant to turn off Cell Data because I'm not sure if I can get texts and calls as quick... If I can, then what is the purpose of leaving Cell Data on?

ridindirrty

Reaction score
I'm having the same problem when I look at the battery usage it has media at the top using hella data a cpu. When i open it and look at what is running this is what comes up;

com.motorola.burstmodeviewer
com.motorola.android.omadrm
downloads
Media Storage
download manager
DRM Protected content storage
mediasync
oma download

Is there anyway I can stop these. I rooted my phone to try to save battery life but it isn't working
everytime i force close the media it starts back up again in a few minutes

jrmdroid

Reaction score
This issue has been happening to frequently. Just in 5 minutes it ate up 100+ mb. I installed a data monitoring app and found out the built in music app was the culprit. I turned off the motocast part by unchecking my computer but it still ate more mb. I stopped the app and switched to wifi for now. Good thing I have unlimited data but I do not want to eat up gobbs amounts for no reason when the phone is in standby mode.

And shutting of data sync and cell data did not seem to work as earlier today something ate up 300 + MB and I was not even using the phone at all. Have a smart action to turn off data sync and cell data when screen is off.

I wonder of the people who got the RAZR are having this issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

photodan70

Reaction score
Yeah, as long as I dont start the music at all then I am ok for the day so hopefully they see what we mean. On the Motorola chat site Matt the forum manager said he was forwarding it to the Techs to look at :) so hopefully they fix it.

epphllps

Reaction score
This issue has been happening to frequently. Just in 5 minutes it ate up 100+ mb. I installed a data monitoring app and found out the built in music app was the culprit. I turned off the motocast part by unchecking my computer but it still ate more mb. I stopped the app and switched to wifi for now. Good thing I have unlimited data but I do not want to eat up gobbs amounts for no reason when the phone is in standby mode.

And shutting of data sync and cell data did not seem to work as earlier today something ate up 300 + MB and I was not even using the phone at all. Have a smart action to turn off data sync and cell data when screen is off.

I wonder of the people who got the RAZR are having this issue.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Same thing happened to me yesterday. Battery lost 10% in like 15 minutes on 3g and it was due to the Motorola music app downloading 250+ MBs of data. Had to force stop several times before it quit.