Razr nonstop data access

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by busab, Nov 14, 2011.

1. busab

busab Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I having a major problem with my phone. Sometimes throughout the day it starts send/receive data nonstop. It makes the phone get really hot and it destroys my battery.

I've tried rebooting it and it just starts right back up again. I've tried task killers which will make it stop for a few seconds but then it starts back.

This thing has ate up around 300MB of my data so far for no reason.

Eventually it will stop itself after about a hour or two of nonstop usage.

I don't know what is causing it. I thought maybe it was uploading things to the cloud but I have never set it up to do that and that doesn't appear to be running in the background.

Has anybody else had the same problem or maybe have a solution?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

2. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +214
    Best I can say is turn off background data for now. When its doing this data use is there a circled arrow next to your 3g/4g symbol or is it just sending/receiving data??

LLR0717

3. busab

busab Member

Ratings:
    +8
    No there's not a sync symbol it's just sending/receiving data. I didn't try cutting off the background data. I'll give it a try next time it happens. Thanks!

4. jstafford1

jstafford1 DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +214
    I would shut it off now and see if it doesn't happen again. Shutting it off once it starts might not help.

LLR0717

5. benz0

benz0 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Had mine since Friday, lost data once or twice, other than that, not a single problem with it. I say return that puppy back?!:icon_eek:

6. km75

km75 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Data is used for web browsing, downloading apps from the market, posting to facebook/twitter(pretty much everything) etc. Im assuming you realize that and im also assuming based off of your post that you aren't talking about data syncing. So im somewhat confused by your post. The data link will always be on unless you are using wifi or if you disable data/enable airplane mode in your phones settings. Guess im confused by what your asking. But if you don't want to use data my suggestion would be to use wifi. Or disable data in the settings. If you disable it though your phone is pretty much going to be limited to text messaging and making phone calls

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011
  7. busab

busab Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I understand the data link will always be on. What I am saying is that its is constantly using data (ie sending/receiving) in large quantities for long periods of time even when the phone hasn't been used. This is something beyond normal app syncing that is happening.

Here is a example. Yesterday I left my phone on the table while I was helping my girlfriend decorate her Christmas tree. I hadn't touched the phone for nearly two hours. When I picked it up for the first time the phone was hot and upon turning it on I see the arrows that indicate data usage are SOLID as in it is sending/receiving data nonstop. Also my battery had dropped by 40% with it just sitting there.

Keep in mind I had nothing downloading. I had nothing running at the time. I decided to reboot the phone and it goes right back to using the data again after it boots back up. After that I downloaded a task killer to try to kill any and all processes that may be causing it. This stops it for a few seconds but then it starts right back up again.

In the 3 days that I have owned the phone it has used over 1GB of data and all I have done is surfed a few websites.

I downloaded a data monitor app today in hopes to pin point the cause of this usage.

8. km75

km75 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Have you gone into settings>battery data manager and checked the battery stats to see exactly what has been using the battery?

9. busab

busab Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I have. But nothing sticks out. Makes me think its a hardware problem with my phone. So far it hasn't done it today. If it continues I will take it back and exchange it for a new one.

10. km75

km75 Member

Ratings:
    +2
    Yeah that might be what you need to do. Also, just a thought, but it could aslo be an application that you downloaded that isn't playing well with your phone and is constantly running in the background.

11. busab

busab Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Possibly. But it's the same apps I've always used with my other droids. I'll try to experiment with it next time it starts. Maybe start uninstalling apps and see which one stops it if that is what's causing it.

12. doniago

doniago Member

Ratings:
    +8
    I've been having a very similar problem with my DX, and the only "solution" I found was to use Internet Schedule to only turn my data on at selected intervals. I've been using TiBu to try to freeze various apps/services to see whether that helped, but I haven't found the right one yet apparently. Whatever it is apparently is keeping the data connection alive without actively sending/receiving, which complicates matters. I've been wondering whether freezing "Motorola Services" might help...or might kill my phone.

13. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +17
    Here's what I would do before considering taking it back for warranty replacement. There's an app called Android Info. It will tell you exactly what android systems are running and how much cpu they are using. You should be able to see exactly what is using your data.

I think the fix, if it can be fixed, is a Factory Data Reset: These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phoneā€¯. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

NOTE: I learned this morning that not everyone has been as lucky as I with the automatic re-installs. So good luck if you end up having to go that route.

14. jpcalhoun

jpcalhoun Senior Member

Ratings:
    +61
    I don't know if this will give you a better idea of what app or apps are causing you a problem, but Watchdog (in the Market) does a pretty good job of identifying not only cpu usage but also data

15. photodan70

photodan70 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I had the EXACT same issue today!! Constant data up and down. It drained my battery and got really hot too. I software "battery pulled", shut off and restarted multiple times and then it would start data use again. I did not install anything today so it wasnt a new program. One thing I noticed is that it doesnt show in battery info anything unusual but when I went into Task Manager it showed the music player using a lot of CPU. I thought maybe it was Motosync so I unchecked my computer... still did it. I stopped the music process and it still kept going. But then a couple hours later stopped! Now I guess I will see what others say. I thought maybe an update was being pushed. But nothing. Frustrating because I LOVE the phone otherwise.

Search tags for this page
com.motorola.android.oma drm

com.motorola.android.omadrm

droid razr data access page
how to close facebook on razr using mb
how to turn off data link on razr
motorola oma drm
motorola omadrm
motorola.omadrm
what is com.motorola.android.omadrm
what is com.motorola.android.omadrm data usage