Razr Maxx users

morcguy

Reaction score
Running stock ics . Bought first MAXX the week the phone was released. Bluetooth failed a few months in, returned under warranty and received a pristine refurbished unit that has worked great ever since. I run wifi and Bluetooth all the time, smart actions disables wifi when I am still work. After a 18 hour day I am usually at around 60 percent battery depends on use for that day. Phone is great. Clear app caches periodically to speed things up.

Jeff Gude

Last edited:

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Well guys, I don't know if I'm pulling from a bad batch of phones, or what, but my replacement Razr Maxx is nearly as unusable as my first. To be clear, I'm using the stock OS and the phone is not rooted. This time around, the phone regularly freezes when opening messenger apps (whatsapp, handcent), and using media functions (camera, video) within messenger apps. Additionally, the phone regularly freezes when using Spotify. I have had to reboot the phone countless times, in order to bring it back to a usable state. Needless to say, I am very disappointed with Motorola and their shoddy OS implementation. My Droid X was a solid phone, which is why I went back to Motorola for a new device, but after this experience with the Razer Maxx, I don't think I'll ever own another Motorola phone again. To punctuate this whole mess, I have to eat the cost of the case and screen protector that I bought for this phone, as well. Ugh, infuriating. I'll be sending this phone back, post-haste.

Don't blame Motorola, blame being a refurbished device. Just my $.02

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
have you tried LTE on/off to lock it on 3G, when I had my maxx I locked 'er om 3G. now with my maxx hd i cant force it on 3G, 100dbs of lousy signal and it holds onto 4G, woot.

What stinks is that you have to reset it to 3g EVERY time you reboot the phone, which was not the case on Gingerbread.

Daballa

Reaction score

Sorry but if I can add my $.02, the device refurb or not, has Motorola's name attached to it. You spend good money for a device that works. I have not had any issues with my Maxx but totally can see others frustrations. Blaming it on being a refurb just doesn't cut it.

doniago

Reaction score
Indeed, I've read articles suggesting that oftentimes refurbs are more reliable than new products because they have to go through additional testing before they can be sold again.

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
What stinks is that you have to reset it to 3g EVERY time you reboot the phone, which was not the case on Gingerbread.

This thread is so long I'm not sure what software version is being referred to, but I am on ICS v.211 and mine stays on 3G after a reboot....

ImJustSayin

Reaction score
A Refurb Phone, It Was Not

It was a brand new phone. Nothing on it suggested that it was a refurb. I specifically checked for this upon receipt. I also sent the first phone back within 3 days of having received it, which entitled me to a brand new phone, according to the Amazon rep that I spoke to. Oh, I also forgot to mention that my second Razr Maxx also developed artifacts on the screen when it was at absolute black. Not a real problem, but still irritating to know that it was there.

Additionally, even if it was a refurb phone, the refurb QC process is just as incompetent as the factory QC process at Motorola. Again, I will never buy another Motorola phone, and I lay 100% blame on the company for this fiasco.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
It was a brand new phone. Nothing on it suggested that it was a refurb. I specifically checked for this upon receipt. I also sent the first phone back within 3 days of having received it, which entitled me to a brand new phone, according to the Amazon rep that I spoke to. Oh, I also forgot to mention that my second Razr Maxx also developed artifacts on the screen when it was at absolute black. Not a real problem, but still irritating to know that it was there.

Additionally, even if it was a refurb phone, the refurb QC process is just as incompetent as the factory QC process at Motorola. Again, I will never buy another Motorola phone, and I lay 100% blame on the company for this fiasco.

The artifacts on the screen when it is all black are common on many other phones with the Amoled screen, not just the Razr/Maxx. Its not really a defect.

Some other things to consider when you go through so many "bad" phones:

1. SD card - if you are using the same SD card on every phone and it has bad sectors, is old, or is a slower card, it is most likely the source of your problems as it will slow down a fast phone. Also, android in general has some difficulty reading class 10 cards and will default to slower speeds.

2. Apps you are running - Many apps will slow a phone down quite a bit as they run in the background. Poorly written apps sometimes hog memory and will cause a lot of slowdowns.

3. Pictures and Videos - of you get a new phone and copy a bunch of pictures over to it, several things happen. First, the phone will try to index them which can take a bunch of time and drain your battery. Your phone may feel "hot" during this time. Sometimes happens with music as well. If you use motocast, dropbox, etc, it will spend a lot of time looking for new things the upload. I have also found that a setting in the picture gallery to download/view friends (from facebook) pictures uses a lot of resources.

4. Settling in - lots of times a new phone will need a bit of time to settle in. It can take a few days to settle but after that, performance generally picks up.

5. Apps - its a good idea to install/reinstall your apps a few at a time over several days. Install the ones you absolutely need the most first then wait and see how things run. After a few days, install the apps that you use less often, a few at a time over several days.

6. Cache - clean it regularly. Lots of ways to do it and you can find several threads here on the site about it.

7. Battery - as tempting as it is to use your new phone right away, leave it turned off and plug it in to let it charge fully. It will make the battery last much longer in the long run.

Hope that helps.

David

ImJustSayin

Reaction score
The artifacts on the screen when it is all black are common on many other phones with the Amoled screen, not just the Razr/Maxx. Its not really a defect.

Some other things to consider when you go through so many "bad" phones:

1. SD card - if you are using the same SD card on every phone and it has bad sectors, is old, or is a slower card, it is most likely the source of your problems as it will slow down a fast phone. Also, android in general has some difficulty reading class 10 cards and will default to slower speeds.

2. Apps you are running - Many apps will slow a phone down quite a bit as they run in the background. Poorly written apps sometimes hog memory and will cause a lot of slowdowns.

3. Pictures and Videos - of you get a new phone and copy a bunch of pictures over to it, several things happen. First, the phone will try to index them which can take a bunch of time and drain your battery. Your phone may feel "hot" during this time. Sometimes happens with music as well. If you use motocast, dropbox, etc, it will spend a lot of time looking for new things the upload. I have also found that a setting in the picture gallery to download/view friends (from facebook) pictures uses a lot of resources.

4. Settling in - lots of times a new phone will need a bit of time to settle in. It can take a few days to settle but after that, performance generally picks up.

5. Apps - its a good idea to install/reinstall your apps a few at a time over several days. Install the ones you absolutely need the most first then wait and see how things run. After a few days, install the apps that you use less often, a few at a time over several days.

6. Cache - clean it regularly. Lots of ways to do it and you can find several threads here on the site about it.

7. Battery - as tempting as it is to use your new phone right away, leave it turned off and plug it in to let it charge fully. It will make the battery last much longer in the long run.

Hope that helps.

David

You know, I DID use a 32GB class 10 card with both phones. Unfortunately, I didn't leave the stock 16GB card in long enough to see if the phone ran smoothly for a day or so, before inserting the 32GB card. I should have known to take this into consideration, since it was the ONE persistent link between the two phones. Unfortunately, I've already sent the phone back to Amazon.

I have a few friends who work for Qualcomm, who I recently went snowboarding with (irrelevant, but whatever). When I told them about the problems that I had with my phone, and that it was a Motorola, they all, almost in unison, told me to stay away from Motorola; that the company's OS is junk, as they had learned through testing. HTC and Samsung were their top recommendations. Of those two manufacturers, do any of you have recommendations for specific phone models? I've read and heard that the HTC Droid DNA is a solid phone, if not a little light on battery life (lame!).

I really appreciate your feedback, Dave. Thank you for your response.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You know, I DID use a 32GB class 10 card with both phones. Unfortunately, I didn't leave the stock 16GB card in long enough to see if the phone ran smoothly for a day or so, before inserting the 32GB card. I should have known to take this into consideration, since it was the ONE persistent link between the two phones. Unfortunately, I've already sent the phone back to Amazon.

I have a few friends who work for Qualcomm, who I recently went snowboarding with (irrelevant, but whatever). When I told them about the problems that I had with my phone, and that it was a Motorola, they all, almost in unison, told me to stay away from Motorola; that the company's OS is junk, as they had learned through testing. HTC and Samsung were their top recommendations. Of those two manufacturers, do any of you have recommendations for specific phone models? I've read and heard that the HTC Droid DNA is a solid phone, if not a little light on battery life (lame!).

I really appreciate your feedback, Dave. Thank you for your response.

Actually, having owned both HTC and Motorola, I think they are both very much neck & neck as far as quality and performance... great reception, signal strength, display, etc. Motorola is actually reputable for having excellent signal strength, reception, no dropped calls, etc but poor camera quality. I found the HTC incredible & rezound to be just as good... no problems with either phone.

Samsung traditionally had been known to have poor signal strength, reception but that has seemed to change dramatically with their sg3...Owners report excellent signal/reception. I'm actually considering the sg3 for my next phone.

I think the DNA is a solid phone and would consider that myself except that it does not have an sd card slot therefore no options to increase storage beyond the 16gb internal storage. Don't understand why HTC would make such a lame move on an excellent phone but it poses many problems for me.... the most obvious is that I need more storage. The not-so-obvious, is that if the phone became defective, I would lose everything stored on the internal storage that was not previously backed up on a pc.

Hope this helps. I'm sure others will also chime in with their ideas/experiences that will help with your decision.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

YellowJacket

Reaction score
Well, the core of the OS is the same, whether it is Samsung, Motorola or HTC. Its what the OEM's add on that makes a difference. Motorola in the past has drawn some criticism over their add-on MotoBlur but they no longer use it. IMHO, your friends have a vested interest in Qualcomm so they will dislike Motorola to some degree.

I've owned HTC phones in the past (Touch Pro, Touch Pro II and EVO) and have mixed feelings. IMHO, the Maxx has been the best phone I have owned in quite some time. For once in my life I dont have a high degree of phone envy or buyers remorse. :)

David

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
YellowJacket, I have to agree...people who work for Qualcomm are not going to endorse phones without the Qualcomm processor. I also agree that I went from the Razr Maxx to the Razr M (because I won the M and got it free) and it was the first time since owning smartphones that I haven't rushed to want a different phone. I was very happy with the Maxx and even happier with the M. I actually can upgrade and am in no hurry to.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums