Razr Maxx users

cricketson007

Reaction score
I loved my maxx until it updated. I am a heavy user and before the update it could go 20 hours before charging. Now with minimal use I am lucky to have 60 percent charge after 8 hours with minimal use. I have already gotten one replacement phone. I could be on it for hours and it would be warm, not hot. It's reached 113° F and I have screen shots of the temps to back that up. My mom has the same phone and during a recent visit we compared time with screen on use and there was a noticeable difference in temperature. I am not rooted and my set up is similar before the update so I can not figure out why my phone is doing this. I've wiped the cache, followed FoxKat's battery advice for months with no change. To put it lightly I am extremely frustrated. I want to do another warranty replacement but trying to avoid the hassle of it. It just want my maxx back! I am on version 4.0.4 if that's any help... Also I have done a cache wipe several times. I know I don't post much but try to follow what's going on. I have been following these forums for 2+ years and have learned a lot! I am stumped!!!

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I loved my maxx until it updated. I am a heavy user and before the update it could go 20 hours before charging. Now with minimal use I am lucky to have 60 percent charge after 8 hours with minimal use. I have already gotten one replacement phone. I could be on it for hours and it would be warm, not hot. It's reached 113° F and I have screen shots of the temps to back that up. My mom has the same phone and during a recent visit we compared time with screen on use and there was a noticeable difference in temperature. I am not rooted and my set up is similar before the update so I can not figure out why my phone is doing this. I've wiped the cache, followed Foxkat's battery advice for months with no change. To put it lightly I am extremely frustrated. I want to do another warranty replacement but trying to avoid the hassle of it. It just want my maxx back!

Well, let's tackle this together. First, what update are you speaking of? Are you on .211, .215 (or another one of the interim ICS leaks), or the newly leaked Jelly Bean? You said, "until it updated", so were you one of the ones who received the Christmas Eve OTA leak?

dstacey

Reaction score
Well, let's tackle this together. First, what update are you speaking of? Are you on .211, .215 (or another one of the interim ICS leaks), or the newly leaked Jelly Bean? You said, "until it updated", so were you one of the ones who received the Christmas Eve OTA leak?

I will be watching this topic cause I too am on .211 Stock

Last edited:

ImJustSayin

Reaction score
Mine got stuck in what appeared to be a loop just 3 days after I bought it. I thought it might have been a launcher that I installed, so I uninstalled it and tested again, but got the same result. Here's the order of things: Phone is unresponsive when long-pressing the power button. It then turns on about 30-45 seconds after having pressed power. Boots to home screen. Loads widgets etc, and works for about 2-3 minutes and then shuts off again. Rinse and repeat. I have since sent it back and am waiting on a replacement. I specifically chose the Razr Maxx due to its exceptional battery size. I'm hoping that this was just a fluke. I'll post again if I have the same or similar problems.

dstacey

Reaction score
My battery will read 100% then ten minutes later with little to no usage its at 90%. I have only had my phone a week. The battery life is ok, but its not meeting my expectations.

GotnFX

Reaction score
My battery will read 100% then ten minutes later with little to no usage its at 90%. I have only had my phone a week. The battery life is ok, but its not meeting my expectations.

Do you have Facebook active? Do you have your email active? How often do you have it refresh? What do you have your display set to? Do you have widgets on your screens? How active are those? If you set these up to manually refresh, it would help quite a bit..but if you are syncing every 5-10 minutes this will use battery up.

cricketson007

Reaction score
GotnFX said:
Do you have Facebook active? Do you have your email active? How often do you have it refresh? What do you have your display set to? Do you have widgets on your screens? How active are those? If you set these up to manually refresh, it would help quite a bit..but if you are syncing every 5-10 minutes this will use battery up.

I do but my refresh is set to the longest setting and I only use Facebook from my web browser. I have widgets but my set up is basically the same before I updated. After I received my replacement phone I left it stock and it still got hot.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Going from a reported 100% to a reported 90% after being removed from the charger can happen in just minutes or can take an hour or more (up to several in fact). It's not likely the battery being bad or falling to take a full charge. It's also not likely the phone using an inordinate amount of power over that short duration. It's a characteristic of how the charging and metering circuitry work.

When charging, the battery charger will charge the battery until it reaches what it dems a full charge, then shuts of charging completely. This is done for one very good reason...to protect the battery from overcharging and possible rupture. Once charging is interrupted, even while it's still connected to the charger, it's running on the battery, not the wall outlet. The charging and metering circuitry now beings monitoring the State of Charge (remaining charge level), and sits back while the battery is discharging. Once the battery reaches 90%, it resumes charging and replenishes the battery back to 100%, then repeats the cycle again.

When you pull it of the charger, you can be doing so when the battery has just completed a charge cycle and it's fully charged (100%), or it could be anywhere in the discharge process from 99% to 90%. Since the meter only displays the State of Charge in 10% increments over most of the capacity range, you can think you have 100% when you pull the plug, but you may only have 93% for example. As soon as you've used the 3%, the meter drops to 90%, leading you to believe the phone used 10% in a very short timeframe.

Another issue is when charging the phone while still powered on. If the phone is on, it's using power while charging. This causes the meter to become confused as to what the actual State of Charge is, sometimes causing it to interrupt the charging process prematurely. This can result in the phone reporting a 100% State of Charge when in fact it may be significantly less. This will result in the phone lasting somewhat less time during use than you should reasonably expect.

The only true way to assure a 100% charge is to charge with the phone powered off completely, and charging until the Charge-only meter displays 100%. If the phone is disconnected from charge and powered up within a short time from when the charge is complete, you are far more likely that it well remain at 100% for an appropriate timeframe, and that the phone will last the expected duration of the day during normal use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

GotnFX

Reaction score
I do but my refresh is set to the longest setting and I only use Facebook from my web browser. I have widgets but my set up is basically the same before I updated. After I received my replacement phone I left it stock and it still got hot.

I have to admit going from GB to ICS, my battery didn't last as long. On JB, it has improved much better than GB. I've always set my display to the lowest setting and increase it when I truly need it. When is the phone getting hot? If you notice it getting hot using a certain app, assess whether you truly need it? How much screen time on are you getting before your battery warning comes on? I've always Foxkat conditioned my battery once a month and my battery will last 30+ with 5-6 hours of screen time.

cricketson007

Reaction score
GotnFX said:
I have to admit going from GB to ICS, my battery didn't last as long. On JB, it has improved much better than GB. I've always set my display to the lowest setting and increase it when I truly need it. When is the phone getting hot? If you notice it getting hot using a certain app, assess whether you truly need it? How much screen time on are you getting before your battery warning comes on? I've always Foxkat conditioned my battery once a month and my battery will last 30+ with 5-6 hours of screen time.

I have tried different apps. Some do make it warmer but that's my doing and I haven't included that into the factor due to that being user related. I use those apps so naturally my phone will warm up. The heating up issue is when I don't use it, or use it in a short time frame and it gets warm - hot quickly. Sometimes within 10 minutes of screen time. I know low signal will get the temp up so but usually when it gets the hottest I have full 4G bars or 4 bars. Like now typing this its warm but not hot and I've only been on a few minutes but I have 2 bars of 4G so I am assuming that the heat is due to searching for signal.

BKApple

Reaction score
Going from a reported 100% to a reported 90% after being removed from the charger can happen in just minutes or can take an hour or more (up to several in fact). It's not likely the battery being bad or falling to take a full charge. It's also not likely the phone using an inordinate amount of power over that short duration. It's a characteristic of how the charging and metering circuitry work.

When charging, the battery charger will charge the battery until it reaches what it dems a full charge, then shuts of charging completely. This is done for one very good reason...to protect the battery from overcharging and possible rupture. Once charging is interrupted, even while it's still connected to the charger, it's running on the battery, not the wall outlet. The charging and metering circuitry now beings monitoring the State of Charge (remaining charge level), and sits back while the battery is discharging. Once the battery reaches 90%, it resumes charging and replenishes the battery back to 100%, then repeats the cycle again.

When you pull it of the charger, you can be doing so when the battery has just completed a charge cycle and it's fully charged (100%), or it could be anywhere in the discharge process from 99% to 90%. Since the meter only displays the State of Charge in 10% increments over most of the capacity range, you can think you have 100% when you pull the plug, but you may only have 93% for example. As soon as you've used the 3%, the meter drops to 90%, leading you to believe the phone used 10% in a very short timeframe.

Another issue is when charging the phone while still powered on. If the phone is on, it's using power while charging. This causes the meter to become confused as to what the actual State of Charge is, sometimes causing it to interrupt the charging process prematurely. This can result in the phone reporting a 100% State of Charge when in fact it may be significantly less. This will result in the phone lasting somewhat less time during use than you should reasonably expect.

The only true way to assure a 100% charge is to charge with the phone powered off completely, and charging until the Charge-only meter displays 100%. If the phone is disconnected from charge and powered up within a short time from when the charge is complete, you are far more likely that it well remain at 100% for an appropriate timeframe, and that the phone will last the expected duration of the day during normal use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Do you think it's best to only charge the phone when it's off?

GotnFX

Reaction score
I have tried different apps. Some do make it warmer but that's my doing and I haven't included that into the factor due to that being user related. I use those apps so naturally my phone will warm up. The heating up issue is when I don't use it, or use it in a short time frame and it gets warm - hot quickly. Sometimes within 10 minutes of screen time. I know low signal will get the temp up so but usually when it gets the hottest I have full 4G bars or 4 bars. Like now typing this its warm but not hot and I've only been on a few minutes but I have 2 bars of 4G so I am assuming that the heat is due to searching for signal.

The warming doesn't sound quite right..what's your mobile network set to? Setting-->More-->Mobile Network...not sure if you've done this already but if it is set to global..change to LTE/CDMA and see if that helps.

dbb1porter

Reaction score
After years of being conditioned to just throw it on charger when its low, I cannot stress enough what a difference it make to "recalibrate" the battery meter every once in a while (thanks FoxKat). After reading these type of issues on the forum for a while and experiencing the same thing I thought I might give it a try. I was getting maybe 12 hours on medium usage, enough to get me through work. But after a "resetting" I would experience 15 hours of HEAVY usage with 70% screen time and only be at 50% battery (I wished i would have save the latest screen shot as a visual aide). This is what the MAXX was made for...the battery life. When you hear your friends crying about being at 30% battery and selling there souls to find an outlet, you can say "Hey, check out the latest episode of House of Cards on Netflix."...and then you watch 5 more episodes.