Razr MAXX speakerphone full- or half-duplex?

P2R

Reaction score
Tried Googling for that but got nowhere, and Verizon online chat sales rep took over 5 minutes but couldn't find the answer! :blink:

Thank you.

BroidDrionic

Reaction score
I don't think any speakerphone has been half duplex since about 1996.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
from what I read it looks like it is full, I won't have mine til Wed sometime so this is a guess until I have it in my hand.

Hey, thank you for the reply. To test whether the speakerphone is full or half-duplex, do a test conversation and see if you can interrupt *continuous* sound/noise/speaking coming from the other end of the call.

Thanks again!

OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
I don't think any speakerphone has been half duplex since about 1996.

You'd think so, right? But no, the majority of speakerphones to date have been half-duplex. Even some 4G smartphones have half-duplex speakerphones, for example the HTC Droid Incredible / Incredible 2.

OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Call me stupidly stupid, but what's the differences?

----posted maxx'ed out----

OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
Call me stupidly stupid, but what's the differences?

Not knowing the differences certainly doesn't make someone stupid. Here's a good overview:

The Difference Between Half and Full Duplex Explained

I'll add that half-duplex speakerphones are a real pain-in-the-you-know-what. If there's sound on the other end (such as speaking, but background noise is sometimes enough), the other side doesn't hear you when you speak. It has to be quiet on the far-side for your phone to transmit what you're saying.

You can't talk over or interrupt anything. That's especially problematic when you're dialed into a conference call. On unmoderated conference calls (the majority of them), there's almost always some sound going on, so you frequently can't get a word in if you're on a half-duplex speakerphone. A major drawback for business use.

Bear in mind, sometimes you *don't know* that you haven't been heard! You *think* the person on the other end heard you, but actually because of sound on the other side, your phone's speakerphone never transmitted what you said. Misunderstanding, anyone?

A half-duplex speakerphone is a feature deficit most people don't know to consider when choosing a phone, and the above is one reason for that. Since you're not on the other end of a call, you don't realize what you said never went through. So even though you're affected by it, you might not know the feature deficit is there.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

Insidious

Reaction score
Never thought I'd see a question like this, lol. Never thought that there were people who knew what it was.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
aaah.. kinda like a walkie talkie.... "release the button moron"... :)

-----posted MAXX'ed out-----

OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
aaah.. kinda like a walkie talkie.... "release the button moron"... :)

Exactly. If your speakerphone is half-duplex, it's like the button on the other side is being held down whenever there's sound!

Last edited:
OP
P2R

P2R

Reaction score
Must be The Great Mystery of the Razr MAXX...

Still no answers to the full- versus half-duplex speakerphone query. ::sigh::

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Still no answers to the full- versus half-duplex speakerphone query. ::sigh::

I did get an answer to this question since I asked did myself about a year ago or so. A level 2 technician gave me this explanation. The speaker phones on these portable phones are neither a full duplex in the true sense of the word nor are they half duplex in the true sense of the word. They're whats describe to me as modified full duplex, Where the volume level of 1 side will cause a slight muting of the microphone on the other side and vice versa.

The technician explained that this is done to prevent feedback looping up audio through the microphone from the speaker, although he said it can also be done by a slight delay in the time between when the sound that enters the microphone comes back out of the speaker again.

He further explain that this is done on both directions since when you speak into the microphone when you're on speakerphone you don't hear your voice come back out of your own speaker. This he said is done on the opposite end of the communication or the phone of the person you're speaking to, since their microphone is then partially muted.

This was brought up by me since I had trouble having someone hear me on the other side when they were in a room that had a lot of background noise just like described by the previous posters.

True half duplex would be a full muting of the microphone on 1 side when there is sound on the other and that is not the case with these phones, otherwise there would be hard interruptions for either side and sound would cut off completely when you start talking.

The best test would be to have 2 people on phones in speaker phone mode and have them hold the speaker up to their ear while making sounds, and seeing if they can hear the other person making sound while they're making sound themselves. If the technician was correct while making sounds on both ends 1 person would hear the other person loud and the other person would hear the first person quietly. Then when the sound from the person who is being heard loudly is interrupted on 1 side the person who still making sound will become the louder 1 on the other side and vice versa.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Last edited: