RAZR MAXX screen protector needed?

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Previous to my getting the Droid original I always had a screen protector and a case for my pda's & phones. Since then however my Droid original, Droid X and now my Razr Maxx have all been carried in my front right jeans pocket with no screen protection without having any screen scratching or breakage. As a former camera buff I always treated my cameras as if they were a baby and that's how I treat my phones now.

huskur

Reaction score
I have the otterbox commuter on my Maxx. No screen protector. Didn't have one on my D1, didn't have one on my Droid X, don't have one on the Maxx. All 3 I put in my pocket with keys, coins, fingernail clippers...have not had a scratch yet and yes it is a special glass made by Corning. It Gorilla Glass

I love the display with them on it. Look at one without a protector and look at one with a protector (any of the protectors) and you will see a difference

etcmjoe709

Reaction score
The "Gorilla Glass" might be fairly scratch resistant but it is NOT unbreakable. I had a screen protector on mine and dropped it from less than 2' onto a linoleum floor. The glass cracked all the way through and all the way across. There was a tiny chip in the crack toward one end of it, so it may have fallen flush onto a grain of sand, or it may have already had a small imperfection there. Either way I can say that even with the glass broken all the way through, the body of the phone was still extremely rigid. That tells me that there is real strength in the gimmicky kevlar back. The phone still functioned fine but since I had Asurion, I coughed up the $100 for a new one.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
The "Gorilla Glass" might be fairly scratch resistant but it is NOT unbreakable. I had a screen protector on mine and dropped it from less than 2' onto a linoleum floor. The glass cracked all the way through and all the way across. There was a tiny chip in the crack toward one end of it, so it may have fallen flush onto a grain of sand, or it may have already had a small imperfection there. Either way I can say that even with the glass broken all the way through, the body of the phone was still extremely rigid. That tells me that there is real strength in the gimmicky kevlar back. The phone still functioned fine but since I had Asurion, I coughed up the $100 for a new one.

Great post. You take a hit, reason it out, and then stand behind the product because you believe in it. You are an example for others to follow. Kudos from me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

BillyT

Reaction score
I think this comes down to whether you think you're going to need one or not. I too keep mine in my front pocket (with the screen facing my leg). I've done this will my OG and the 'wonderful' X2. No scratches whatsoever. I in no way feel it is indestructible, and try to take good care of it, knowing it is vulnerable.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it

sent from my RAZR MAXX

rlarson_mn

Reaction score
Actually it's a personal preference that all phone users must make. So there is no right or wrong answer. Just do your research for the best options you can live with nag go for it.

johnolenardo

Reaction score
From my research, the Zagg has an orangish effect as people have stated

has anyone used ArmorSuit? This one's actually very clear and strong

"Strategy gets you on the playing field, execution pays the bills"

Andielyn

Reaction score
From my research, the Zagg has an orangish effect as people have stated

has anyone used ArmorSuit? This one's actually very clear and strong

Not yet, but I ordered it yesterday so in the next day or two I'll be trying it out. Have to say, I am NOT a fan of screen protectors and have never been able to tolerate them. (This is my first smartphone but my last was a LG Dare with a touchscreen.) However, I apparently have treated my new MAXX like a gorilla and already have a very small scratch in my Gorilla Glass. :mad:

Not a big fan of cases either and have never used one but I also dropped it on the paved cart path at the golf course the first week I had it and guess what, I now have a case. (Go figure--a golf course is 99.5% GRASS and I drop it on the cart path!) Will say though, after that drop I was pretty dang impressed with the Kevlar and Gorilla Glass as it was virtually unharmed. (The scratch happened some other way.)

Chukee

Reaction score
I use the protectors no matter what. I have been able to scratch the screen even with G Glass on it. I could only see it when I had the phone at an angle but it was there. G Glass is resistant to scratches no scratch proof.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

marlonvps

Reaction score
SGP is the best! I have tried them all worst one i have used is the Zagg way to thick and not nearly as clear as the Steinheil .

Andielyn

Reaction score
SGP is the best! I have tried them all worst one i have used is the Zagg way to thick and not nearly as clear as the Steinheil .
Haven't applied the ArmorSuit yet due to the installation process/dry time but if this doesn't work well for me I'll try the SGP next. Mostly good reviews on Amazon.com, and the dry application appeals to me. Curious--do you use the ultra clear or ultra fine (matte)?

Reaction score
Haven't applied the ArmorSuit yet due to the installation process/dry time but if this doesn't work well for me I'll try the SGP next. Mostly good reviews on Amazon.com, and the dry application appeals to me. Curious--do you use the ultra clear or ultra fine (matte)?
I prefer the matte, keeps glare and fingerprints down!

steeveegee

Reaction score
i definitely would get one
i am rough on my phones and i actually scratched the gorilla class on my droid x really easily while working
i actually think it was a grain of sand or silica while i was doing some masonry work that scratched the glass
i do prefer the matte protectors because of fingerprints and smudges

skipbl92

Reaction score
One of those tread lightly questions. You'll get two different answers.
1. I NEVER use a screen protector. It just doesn't feel right.
2. I always use a screen protector. I paid too much to get a scratch on the screen.

I fit in the #2 category, but I have to live with this phone for the next two years, so I' protecting it.

Scotty is correct in either of the 2 answers. Like you engineboy I got the ZAGG invisibleSHIELD for my D1. I went as far as getting the ZAGG shield for my whole device (D1). I decided with my MAXX to just get the screen ZAGG invisibleSHIELD and a Otterbox Commuter Case.