razr maxx real gps or not?

65cobra

Reaction score
So I want to do some back country trail riding, is the gps a real gps as in it actually uses satelites to position you or will the "gps" be non functional as soon as I am out of cell reception?

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
GPS functions, but you will not have on-line maps, such as Google maps. If you have an off road maps saved to your phone it will function as any stand alone.
GPS.

Experiment. Put your phone in Air Plane mode. All radios will be off, i.e. no network connections as if deep in the woods. Open your saved maps. Check your GPS signal

Or Down Load GPS status from the Play Store. Put in Air Plane mode. Check GPS status

OP

65cobra

Reaction score
cool thanks for the quick reply, ok, so I beleive airplane mode disables the gps also. the gps icon shows up but says searching for location, while in airplane mode. so i went in and set my phone to gsm/umts networks as opposed to global or lte/cdma. this provided me with no bars or signal but the gps was working (wifi was turned off too.)

Is there a way to shut off searching for the phone signal without shutting off the gps to save battery life while in the backcountry?

I did call and ask verizon before I posted this question and they told me there was no satelite based gps in the phone but it does appear that there is.

I also tried it with my old droid x and it appears to work too, its no longer on service and it works as a gps off of wifi.

OP

65cobra

Reaction score
so I am currently using maverick app for tracking and location, it seems to work good and cache the maps good.

Can I run a bike tracking app concurrently something that will track my heart rate too? or maybe I should be using a bike or running ap but I need to drop waypoints at gps coordinates and the bing map overlay seems to work best for the trails I need apparently google is snobish and not allowing maverick access to their maps, but google is missing the trails that bing has anyway.

FunN4Lo

Reaction score
cool thanks for the quick reply, ok, so I beleive airplane mode disables the gps also. the gps icon shows up but says searching for location, while in airplane mode. so i went in and set my phone to gsm/umts networks as opposed to global or lte/cdma. this provided me with no bars or signal but the gps was working (wifi was turned off too.)

Is there a way to shut off searching for the phone signal without shutting off the gps to save battery life while in the backcountry?

I did call and ask verizon before I posted this question and they told me there was no satelite based gps in the phone but it does appear that there is.

I also tried it with my old droid x and it appears to work too, its no longer on service and it works as a gps off of wifi.

Airplane mode does not shut off GPS, but will stop the phone searching for signal. Try it

KLB

Reaction score
There are different types of GPS implementations in cell phones. Some phones require 'assistance' in order to translate and/or refine the GPS signals into accurateLAT/LON locations. My Motorola RAZR has what is called 'A-GPS' which is Assisted GPS and I have am not able to get location info with the GPS Essentials App when I am in Airplane Mode, even when I do have a strong WIFI connection. Toggling 'Google Wi-Fi & Mobile network location' in Location Services toggles LAT/LON on/off in the GPS Essentials App, but, that app also reports no GPS signals available and that reported LAT/LON does not change as I walk 100 feet; so maybe the reported LAT/LON is the location of the WIFI hotspot(?). For backcountry use, look for a cell phone that has plain old GPS, not the A-GPS.