Razr Maxx radio queston

huskur

Reaction score
OK. After my screen times out and my phone sits for a minute or so and then i touch the power button to turn it on the radio is disconnected. It has white bars, then about 20 seconds later it shows "3G and the bars in white" then about 20 seconds after that the 3G and the bars turn blue.

Is this normal? My wifes Bionic is "blue" all the time when you wake the phone up.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
It almost sounds like a Smart Action or data manager thing is shutting off data or syncing or something when the phone sleeps for a bit. It shouldn't be disconnecting data like that, and mine doesn't do that.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Once again JNTDROID is right. I'm sure it's a smart action. I have a standard one that the phone suggested called "battery extender". If the phone is idle for a few minutes, it turns off data sync. Mine does the exact same thing if I have that smart action enabled...slow to wake up data. If I disable it, the data connection is immediate when I wake the phone back up. Check your smart actions.

DXGivens

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same issue. I can be on the internet or a connected game then the phone says it is looking for a connection. Even here at work we have a Verizon Wireless Extender and the connection goes in and out blue to white and back. Also I have noticed alot more calls people sound like they are under water. I have no smart actions and I have even swapped out my sim.

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
It almost sounds like a Smart Action or data manager thing is shutting off data or syncing or something when the phone sleeps for a bit. It shouldn't be disconnecting data like that, and mine doesn't do that.

I appreciate all the help. Message on phone "there are no settings set by Smart Actions."

jimmysif88

Reaction score
Funny topic.
I did not know what it meant when these things turn blue and white until i just read it.
I feel as the phone has never stopped me from doing anything at any time.
Ill keep an eye out now that i know.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
I appreciate all the help. Message on phone "there are no settings set by Smart Actions."

Check in the battery manager or if there are other power settings... I seem to remember there being some sort of setting built into blur that allowed data to turn off when the screen was off for a certain amount of time. Maybe Smart Actions replaced this, but I know it was built into blur at some point...

TRIKOTRET

Reaction score
The problem I am getting is every now and then if Im on the phone either on forums or browser, my connection drops. bars turn white and no 4 or 3G icon for a 20 seconds. Then the 4G icon shows up with white bars then turns blue. It kinda gets annoying but I got used to it

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
Check in the battery manager or if there are other power settings... I seem to remember there being some sort of setting built into blur that allowed data to turn off when the screen was off for a certain amount of time. Maybe Smart Actions replaced this, but I know it was built into blur at some point...

Still can't figure it out. Data settings look good. No smart actions. This is very odd. Like I said, my wifes bionics screen times out and after 10 minutes i can wake it and the bars and 3G or 4G will be blue. All i would have after 10 minutes and waking the phone up is white bars until it finds the tower and establishes connection. That is with the 2 phones side by side.

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Try going into settings > data manager and make sure that "backgound data" is checked with a green check mark. I assume that it will be. I tried my phone again and I have exactly the same issue with slow wake up of data after phone inactivity ONLY if my smart action battery extender is on. It turns off background data sync until the phone wakes up.

When you first wake your phone back up the 3G and signal strength icons are white correct? Does the data sync icon appear to the left of the 3G or bluetooth icon for 10-15 seconds? It looks like two circular arrows indicating data is syncing. That would indicate that your background data is turned off for some reason and it has to re-sync which slows your data connection.

OP
huskur

huskur

Reaction score
OK....problem solved. First of all since I have the Maxx I am not worried about "smart actions". At this point they are not needed. I need data 24 hours a day with my kids and school. (I am updated through email on delays and special needs for school times and those email come in during normal sleeping hours).

Anyway, to make a long story short, I called VZW tech support and they said my phone had a issue after an hour of troubleshooting. Believe me we did everything. He said he could send me a "certified like new device" but he didn't want to since I have been a customer since Oct. 23rd 1999. He told me to go to a local VZW store and they would put me in a new one......not needed...... It was an app i downloaded called "2X battery". By default it sets your data to turn off after 30 seconds of no activity. Once I uninstalled it I have been fine.

Most battery monitors do indeed have built in features such as this. So, if anyone has a similar issue, check the apps you have that have a data saving feature.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Glad you got it figured out... and glad it wasn't a bad device!

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
Excellent! I'm glad you found it. I knew something was turning off your data while asleep. Way better than getting a new phone and then putting all your apps back on it (including the offending one) and having the same problem pop up again. Those pesky little apps.