RAZR Maxx owners. R u still as happy a I am?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
droidrazrmaxx said:
Sorry if I am slow about this but..... The battery meter training you speak about..... Is that only to get a accurate reading to see visually on the phone or is it actually helping to increase or maximize battery performance?

Thx

In a sense, it maximizes battery performance.

As an example, if your battery was truly at 50% charge but the meter reports it as only 5%, your phone is going to shut down thinking the battery is too low... even though it really wasn't and even though it probably still had another 10 hours or more of use.

In addition, if your meter is reading your charge as being 100% when really the battery is only at true10% capacity, then your phone will stop charging because it thinks it is fully charged but really you will only have 10% battery.

So having an accurate meter will read the battery 100% when it is true 100% capacity and will give you the full capacity of your battery.

Casper3686

Reaction score
jkaod said:
Still very satisified with the Maxx. I've had it since Feb. and I have an upgrade available now, but there is nothing at all out there that even tempts me to change. S3 has bad battery life compared to the Maxx...oh yeah, big surprise, so does every other phone. Manufacturers should pay attention to the main attraction for the Maxx. S3 also has for me significant reception problems as I compare reception with a friend who has the S3. Maxx HD isn't much of an upgrade IMHO...at least not enough to make me spend the extra dough. HTC DNA looks cool, but still a battery issue. Me and Maxx are friends for a while yet.

I have my upgrade coming this week and looking at all different options. Is there enough difference between the Maxx and Maxx HD to warrant spending an extra $150? I have the RAZR now and I've been happy with everything but the battery. S3 is an option but haven't heard good things about reception... Any thoughts?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I have my upgrade coming this week and looking at all different options. Is there enough difference between the Maxx and Maxx HD to warrant spending an extra $150? I have the RAZR now and I've been happy with everything but the battery. S3 is an option but haven't heard good things about reception... Any thoughts?
My son and sister in law have the S3 and loss of data and dropped calls are a problem for them and they live in two completely different parts of the country. As far as the difference between the Maxx and the Maxx HD...I'm not sure it's worth the extra 150.00 for the HD. Spec wise they are pretty much the same phone except for the display...and I think the Maxx's display is plenty good.

bohemouth

Reaction score
Bohemouth, like TisMyDroid said, these issues you are having are very uncharacteristic of the Razr Maxx. Before you decide to fork out addition $$$$ for an HD you may want to flash the .215 system version (leaked). This will replace your system files with fresh, updated files that may eliminate your issues. However, you will not have a stock phone anymore and will have to restore your phone back to .211 to receive the next system update...be a true update or an upgrade to JB. In either case restoring your phone back to stock is simple and easy using the RazrUtility 1.81 (available on this forum). I can't guarantee flashing the .215 leak will solve your issues, but it might. Even though the .215 leak is not the official system version it is signed by Motorola and is a Motorola product...not some "hacks" version of a system version. If you are interested let us know and we can guide you through it. It is simple and painless.

Thanks! since I have been to Verison and the wiped it clean, it no longer says "HuxEmail stopped working" it has been good, but I'm curious about this .215 system what is it exacally? I am so new and I am wondering what stock android is? is that what i have now?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bohemouth said:
Thanks! since I have been to Verison and the wiped it clean, it no longer says "HuxEmail stopped working" it has been good, but I'm curious about this .215 system what is it exacally? I am so new and I am wondering what stock android is? is that what i have now?

Yes, you have the stock version, which is .211 ICS (ice cream sandwich)... and ICS is just the nickname for android's version of one of their operating systems (there have been several; Cupcake, Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread, Honeycomb for android tablets, ICS and the latest Jellybean).

The .215 was the leak of an official Motorola release/version of ICS. Speculation was that it was going to be Motorola's official update to their .211 ICS version. But that official update never happened as expected.

When people first got the ICS upgrade on their Razr's, coming from Gingerbread (GB), many had problems. The ICS OS was a major change from gingerbread and without doing a factory data reset (fdr), the upgrade caused many conflicts. After the ICS upgrade, doing an fdr fixed most everyone's problems. For many, installing the .215 leak also helped.

I always do an fdr before or after an operating system upgrade. For me, it just guarantees a fresh install, free of conflicts and problems. And if I do have problems with an OS upgrade, I know that chances are it's a problem with the OS and not a problem due to not doing an fdr.

On my Razr Maxx, because I did an fdr before and after upgrading to ICS, I had none of the problems that other people reported. I installed the .215 leak but I really saw no difference between the official .211 ICS and the .215 ICS leak.

The Razr's and Razr Maxx's are going to be getting the jelly bean upgrade very soon (probably early 2013). If your phone is doing fine for now and will soon be getting jelly bean, I would keep things as they are and not install the .215 leak.

If you end up feeling you want to try it, it is easy enough to do and we can walk you through it.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
You have system version .211 on your phone...that is the official version released by Motorola. There is what they call a "leaked" system version, also from Motorola, numbered .215. The only difference is Motorola has not released .215 as official OTA update. I am running .215 and it is smooth, responsive and some believe they are getting much better battery life...I haven't personally experienced that much better battery life. You don't have to be rooted to flash .215...you download it to your PC and move to your external sdcard, or download to the sdcard in your phone (external sd card). Then you put your phone into recovery mode and flash/install from sdcard the leaked system version .215. A great forum member, MattyP, has a good writeup and instruction thread in the Droid Razr Support subforum here: http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-razr-support/217843-mattyps-215-leak-classroom.html. This write up will walk you through the steps of installing the .215 leak if you chose to do so.

bohemouth

Reaction score
What macpro said^^^

There is quite a difference between the og Razr and the HD but I'm not sure it's it's enough of a difference to make up for the price difference (given that the Maxx now costs next to nothing). But what is most puzzling is to have the problems you are having. They are not problems that have been typical for the razr's. What version is it running? Has it upgraded to ICS yet? When you have problems, is there anything that may be triggering it...an app, a game, while plugged in to usb, charging...anything you can isolate?

Thanks for your input, the only thing i can think of is the Audible.com i have on there, it takes up a lot of my space. I'm going to think about it, i have to make a decision before the 30th.

mysticalmalissa

Reaction score
Yes I still LOVE my maxx! This is the longest I have held onto a phone and not got bored with it, since I started with the D1. Ive not switched out to my nexus or rezound since the summer.
I had a few minor issues but since going to .215, its all good! =)

AirJunky

Reaction score
Just bumped from the Maxx to the Maxx HD & I'm here to tell ya the HD is a LOT better. Some of it may be the slightly faster CPU, but I think the best part is Jelly Bean.... the task switcher, the simplified menus, the consolidation of screens, JB is a LOT better than ICW.

I have to think the Maxx with JB on it will be a much better phone too.

bohemouth

Reaction score
Just bumped from the Maxx to the Maxx HD & I'm here to tell ya the HD is a LOT better. Some of it may be the slightly faster CPU, but I think the best part is Jelly Bean.... the task switcher, the simplified menus, the consolidation of screens, JB is a LOT better than ICW.

I have to think the Maxx with JB on it will be a much better phone too.

geez, Airjunky...you make it so hard for a girl to make up her mind. do i keep the Maxx I have or shell out the 170.00 for a new phone. hmmmmmm

awd1315

Reaction score
Absolutely!!! I love the battery life!!! I am a heavy user and it last me 9-10 hours on LTE and almost 20 on wifi. The call quality is the best of any device I've had and the speaker plays my music nice & loud. Doesn't feel cheap like the GS3 that I had for a couple of days & quickly returned. The best phone I've ever purchased outright!!! Well worth it & well worth not losing my unlimited data & renewing another contract!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
bohemouth said:
geez, Airjunky...you make it so hard for a girl to make up her mind. do i keep the Maxx I have or shell out the 170.00 for a new phone. hmmmmmm

Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Go to the store and play with the HD. Think in terms of having a two year relationship with your phone. You could also check out other phones. The other alternative is the HD (non-Maxx)...same exact phone except for the battery and $100 cheaper. If the battery on the HD is anything like the battery on the M (M has 2000 mAh, HD a 2530 mAh), it will last at least 24 hours. And there are very cheap battery packs that work well for extending the battery if needed.

bohemouth

Reaction score
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. Go to the store and play with the HD. Think in terms of having a two year relationship with your phone. You could also check out other phones. The other alternative is the HD (non-Maxx)...same exact phone except for the battery and $100 cheaper. If the battery on the HD is anything like the battery on the M (M has 2000 mAh, HD a 2530 mAh), it will last at least 24 hours. And there are very cheap battery packs that work well for extending the battery if needed.

I have learned that Maxx hd doesn't support yahoo.mail, could just download the app from the google play hope it works well. The two year commitment....That is why I am being an indecisive hot mess , that's a long time and I am heavy user. Thanks y'all for reading my indecisive messages. I ain't the most savvy with electronics, but I really want to be. I'm trying out my beyonce's Samsung tab. As I type this, thinking I could use my phone and then this. But....nah. thanks again for listening to my ramble.

keepitsimple

Reaction score
The ICS patch may also help but you will still want to do the battery meter training (steps to charging while phone off, etc) and should do that battery meter training every 2 to 3 months... because the meter loses accuracy over time.

Up front I'm already using a warranty replacement phone-traded an unuseable screen issue for a battery issue. Upgraded from Droid X to Razr Maxx.

Ok. Thanks. I'm getting the "picture" now. Thanks to all of you I'm learning of facts that are never spoken of in a manual or otherwise.
Examples being: the battery meter loses its accuracy; use a leaked patch to possibly fix battery and other issues.

I'm training my battery, once again for about the 5th time since July. So far so good. I'll pass on the .215 patch. I am uncomfortable delving into this as I have "emotional scars" from similar type pursuits. And most importantly, it's a "possible fix" not a definite one. Updating my apps is technically as deep as I go.

The consensus I have arrived at is; deal with my issues, wait for an OTA upgrade (maybe it will help)/end of contract new phone (20 months), whichever comes first.

Regardless, I like this phone a lot.