RAZR Maxx owners. R u still as happy a I am?

draculam3k

Reaction score
I love it just waiting for JB.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2

bohemouth

Reaction score
You know, i wanted to love the Maxx so very much. Coming from a Droid X that still ran froyo. I got a great deal on the Maxx and i wanted a great battery, i LOVED my X but wanted to try Maxx it seemed the next best thing to X. I had my first Maxx three weeks ago i was wonderful for about a week then it started getting choppy. Then after a call all of a sudden it froze. And became a fancy paperweight. I was so dissapointed. I went back to best buy and almost bought the Maxx HD. But it really isn't that significant of of a difference. I have had my second Maxx going on a week now. It did this weird thing where every minute or so it would flash a notice saying hexmail stopped working. Couldn't do anything, took it back to verizon they didn't know what that was so they did a factory reset. I has been fine ever since. I is still choppy as i type but not nearly as bad.

I want to love this phone because when it does work it's awesome but i am gun shy by the fact it's so glitchy. I don't, hink the HD will be much different. I'm just hoping the jellybean update will help me fall back in love with this phone. I don't see any better options out there. I wonder if i should get another one or try S3.

Any thoughts? I want to love this phone.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You know, i wanted to love the Maxx so very much. Coming from a Droid X that still ran froyo. I got a great deal on the Maxx and i wanted a great battery, i LOVED my X but wanted to try Maxx it seemed the next best thing to X. I had my first Maxx three weeks ago i was wonderful for about a week then it started getting choppy. Then after a call all of a sudden it froze. And became a fancy paperweight. I was so dissapointed. I went back to best buy and almost bought the Maxx HD. But it really isn't that significant of of a difference. I have had my second Maxx going on a week now. It did this weird thing where every minute or so it would flash a notice saying hexmail stopped working. Couldn't do anything, took it back to verizon they didn't know what that was so they did a factory reset. I has been fine ever since. I is still choppy as i type but not nearly as bad.

I want to love this phone because when it does work it's awesome but i am gun shy by the fact it's so glitchy. I don't, hink the HD will be much different. I'm just hoping the jellybean update will help me fall back in love with this phone. I don't see any better options out there. I wonder if i should get another one or try S3.

Any thoughts? I want to love this phone.

There's actually a big difference between the MAXX and MAXX HD, the processor being the main difference, faster and more power efficient as well, and the screen is absolutely beautiful. The MAXX however is still a good phone, if your having issues, have you tried a factory reset and are you updated to the latest update?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
What macpro said^^^

There is quite a difference between the og Razr and the HD but I'm not sure it's it's enough of a difference to make up for the price difference (given that the Maxx now costs next to nothing). But what is most puzzling is to have the problems you are having. They are not problems that have been typical for the razr's. What version is it running? Has it upgraded to ICS yet? When you have problems, is there anything that may be triggering it...an app, a game, while plugged in to usb, charging...anything you can isolate?

keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Razr Maxx (not rooted) when I'm not fighting some phone generated troubles is is excellent.

Issues? 1. Strange battery problems-yes I troubleshoot using every available tidbit i can find on forums or whatever-lately my rate of battery drain is large to me. 8-10 percent an hour in standby. My battery app tells me its the display using the power but how can it, when the display is off?
I could live with this.

2. Phone shuts down when I put the the phone in standby with a decent charge left (80 percent or more) charge, then I attempt to wake it and can only do so by plugging it in to the OEM charger, letting phone reboot plugged in,observe a 0 charge indication, then when eventually internal phone logic kicks in, the display changes back to original charge indication prior to standby. I call this "false 0 charge".
Believe me, I have explored every tip or technique I can find for this debacle.
I do this routine(false 0 charge) 2-3 times a month.

Lately, suggestions are getting system version 6.16.215.

I see that this is a leak, not an official OTA push, and I don't feel I need to train in being a junior programming Guru to finagle a "leak" onto my phone.

So I posted this for all the lucky ones to see that I'm good with the phone but not the battery issues.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Keepitsimple, I know you said you tried every possible fix but I'm gonna throw one out here just in case. It sounds like the battery meter is off (the software that reports the state of charge of the battery is off). For whatever reason, it seems to be a common reality with these phones. It sounds like the phone is reporting that the battery is charged to 100% when it really is probably only charged to a very low %.The good news is that the fix is fairly easy. To correct the meter reading...

*with phone powered off, charge it to 100% (you can check the % of charge by pressing the volume button).
*When it reaches 100%, turn phone on, unplug, use your phone without charging it until it gets to the low battery warning (10-15% charge).
*Turn phone off and charge it while off until it reaches 100% again.
*Turn phone on and use it and charge it as you normally would.

Hope this is something new for you and corrects your situation.

bohemouth

Reaction score
There's actually a big difference between the MAXX and MAXX HD, the processor being the main difference, faster and more power efficient as well, and the screen is absolutely beautiful. The MAXX however is still a good phone, if your having issues, have you tried a factory reset and are you updated to the latest update?

Yes, I took it into Verizon and they did a factory reset for me. Your saying there is a big difference between the 1.2 and the 1.5 on the Maxx HD. Is it 170.00 worth a differwnce that i should go for it.

bohemouth

Reaction score
Cause iI got rid of all the questionable apps i had. I am bummed a bit about that. Because i always check the rate on the app and the reviews. I usually go don't go lower than that. I don't understand what "root" your phone means are what these updates? with my X the more i updated, the worse it got i stopped updating and the phone worked so smooth. I am in that frame of mind now. Do people really think jellybean will make it better.

I have a week left before this phone is mine for keeps. Just really wondering if i should buy the Maxx HD when this phone cost me nothing. On the fence still, thanks for the advice y'all. I want to love the Maxx. I do get two days out of the battery which is cool.

bohemouth

Reaction score
What macpro said^^^

There is quite a difference between the og Razr and the HD but I'm not sure it's it's enough of a difference to make up for the price difference (given that the Maxx now costs next to nothing). But what is most puzzling is to have the problems you are having. They are not problems that have been typical for the razr's. What version is it running? Has it upgraded to ICS yet? When you have problems, is there anything that may be triggering it...an app, a game, while plugged in to usb, charging...anything you can isolate?

Yes. I have ICS. What do the updates so exactly?

keepitsimple

Reaction score
Thanks for a stab at helping. Your idea was one of the first attempts I made at a fix. BTW this is a warranty replacement Maxx as the first DID NOT have battery issues just screen gray out issues.

RE the original post: I really like this phone that's why I'm hanging in.

Other input as to my battery issue or will the ICS patch remedy the battery issue is welcome.

Keepitsimple, I know you said you tried every possible fix but I'm gonna throw one out here just in case. It sounds like the battery meter is off (the software that reports the state of charge of the battery is off). For whatever reason, it seems to be a common reality with these phones. It sounds like the phone is reporting that the battery is charged to 100% when it really is probably only charged to a very low %.The good news is that the fix is fairly easy. To correct the meter reading...

*with phone powered off, charge it to 100% (you can check the % of charge by pressing the volume button).
*When it reaches 100%, turn phone on, unplug, use your phone without charging it until it gets to the low battery warning (10-15% charge).
*Turn phone off and charge it while off until it reaches 100% again.
*Turn phone on and use it and charge it as you normally would.

Hope this is something new for you and corrects your situation.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yes. I have ICS. What do the updates so exactly?
Bohemouth, like TisMyDroid said, these issues you are having are very uncharacteristic of the Razr Maxx. Before you decide to fork out addition $$$$ for an HD you may want to flash the .215 system version (leaked). This will replace your system files with fresh, updated files that may eliminate your issues. However, you will not have a stock phone anymore and will have to restore your phone back to .211 to receive the next system update...be a true update or an upgrade to JB. In either case restoring your phone back to stock is simple and easy using the RazrUtility 1.81 (available on this forum). I can't guarantee flashing the .215 leak will solve your issues, but it might. Even though the .215 leak is not the official system version it is signed by Motorola and is a Motorola product...not some "hacks" version of a system version. If you are interested let us know and we can guide you through it. It is simple and painless.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
keepitsimple said:
Thanks for a stab at helping. Your idea was one of the first attempts I made at a fix. BTW this is a warranty replacement Maxx as the first DID NOT have battery issues just screen gray out issues.

RE the original post: I really like this phone that's why I'm hanging in.

Other input as to my battery issue or will the ICS patch remedy the battery issue is welcome.

The ICS patch may also help but you will still want to do the battery meter training (steps to charging while phone off, etc) and should do that battery meter training every 2 to 3 months... because the meter loses accuracy over time.

OP
D

droidrazrmaxx

Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
The ICS patch may also help but you will still want to do the battery meter training (steps to charging while phone off, etc) and should do that battery meter training every 2 to 3 months... because the meter loses accuracy over time.

Sorry if I am slow about this but..... The battery meter training you speak about..... Is that only to get a accurate reading to see visually on the phone or is it actually helping to increase or maximize battery performance?

Thx