Razr Maxx is down to 43% in under 7 hours, Android OS at 53%.

ShaunPope

Reaction score
This is the first time my phone has done this after about 2 months of owning it. I took it off the charger this morning at 100%. The Android OS has been running fairly high for a couple weeks, but not the 53% it's at today. The phone felt a little warmer than usual and is sucking battery life like it's going out of style. I'm even in 3G and have barely used the phone at all today yet it's down to 43% in under 7 hours.

SallyC

Reaction score
Have you checked to see if you have high 'rild' use? That's been the subject of other threads, and often at the source of poor battery performance.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I'm going to move this thread to the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum since it is battery related and will get more relevant attention. A permalink will remain here in Droid RAZR MAXX.

huskur

Reaction score
Weird. I am down to 34% (10 hours) battery and of the 66% that has been used "rild" is my top user at 42%

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What's your service like?? If you have a weak signal or a bright screen or any number of things, your battery life could suffer. I can kill my battery in a matter of approximately 10 hours. Its not my device, its my 4g coverage at my house.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

hazelgreen

Reaction score
I've been extremely disappointed with the battery so far. I'm giving it a week and if it doesn't improve, I'm returning it. I have good service both at home and work (4g all around me).

I went to Verizon store to see if they could help me determine why battery is draining so fast (at least 10% each hour even with no use). He said it's a big screen so it requires a lot of power. Then said to leave on 4g because it's a 4g phone, that having it search for 3g when it's a 4g phone hurts the battery. Huh? He said to see how it does over the weekend and come back if it doesn't get better. I'm jealous of those who got over 24 hours on the first charge, mine lasted about 8 hours if that (and that was overnight with no use). My display is over 60 percent right now. I've dimmed the screen to lowest setting, turned off animation and turned auto off to 1 minute. Deleted various apps that were running. Nothing seems to help. Hoping it gets better because I really like the phone for the most part.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I've been extremely disappointed with the battery so far. I'm giving it a week and if it doesn't improve, I'm returning it. I have good service both at home and work (4g all around me).

I went to Verizon store to see if they could help me determine why battery is draining so fast (at least 10% each hour even with no use). He said it's a big screen so it requires a lot of power. Then said to leave on 4g because it's a 4g phone, that having it search for 3g when it's a 4g phone hurts the battery. Huh? He said to see how it does over the weekend and come back if it doesn't get better. I'm jealous of those who got over 24 hours on the first charge, mine lasted about 8 hours if that (and that was overnight with no use). My display is over 60 percent right now. I've dimmed the screen to lowest setting, turned off animation and turned auto off to 1 minute. Deleted various apps that were running. Nothing seems to help. Hoping it gets better because I really like the phone for the most part.

Dear hazelgreen (by the way, my favorite eye color :biggrin:), I am so sorry you've been experiencing poor battery performance. I can assure you that what you've described is not what you should expect. I can also say, there are definitely reasons why you are experiencing this apparent rapid decline of remaining charge, but they may or may not be related to apps or the phone use. In fact, what you are seeing as an apparent rapid decline in remaining charge may not be accurate at all. In fact it can be so inaccurate that it can represent the charge level at 20% for instance, when in fact it's 50% or 60%. Reading through these threads in the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum will tell you what you need to know to understand these phenomenon.

The battery's metering starts out not "knowing" just how much charge the battery can actually hold, and so it can't represent the level of discharge accurately until it knows both the maximum and minimum charge levels and as well gets to track a typical usage pattern between those values. Meter values can also become distorted or lose track of the capacity of the battery over time with repeated charge/discharge cycles that don't reach both limits consecutively. Therefore, a "meter training" should be performed initially when you receive the phone, and again every so often (2-3 months typically) to assure meter accuracy.

Below are a series of tips to help you get the most from your battery. There are others here, whom I'm sure will chime in to add to what I'm saying. Initially you will want to do steps 1 through 3 below, so that the battery levels you are seeing are accurate representation of the true remaining charge. From there, look at the other suggestions, as well as the "stickied' post at the top of the forum for even more helpful information. Note, not everything on the stickie post applies to all phones, and it was intended specifically for the Droid Bionic, so some items may not apply to your Droid RAZR MAXX.

Dos:
  1. Do charge your battery initially when you first get it, by powering off ( press and hold power, then select "Power off" ).
  2. Do plug in the STOCK charger and STOCK cable and allow the phone to charge for approximately 3 hours (until it displays 100% when either of the volume buttons are pressed briefly and released)
  3. Do power up the phone and use normally after initial charge until it reaches 15% level, then power off and charge as above once again to calibrate the meter on the phone to the battery's actual capacity.
  4. Do charge multiple times during the day as you are near a power source (i.e. AC wall jack, USB port on computer, car power adapter, car Navigation Dock, Desktop Dock, etc.)
  5. Do charge more often in short bursts rather than long full charges if at all possible to extend the battery's life.
  6. Do charge as soon as possible after the phone reports "Low battery" at 15%.
  7. Do charge your phone immediately if the phone shuts down on its own due to a battery at 0%.
  8. Do power the phone off to charge whenever it is convenient to assure a full 100% charge if needed for long periods away from a power source.
  9. Do remove the phone from a case if at all possible while charging to allow it to charge cool.
  10. Do repeat the power-off charging process in the first 3 Do's every 2-3 months to re-calibrate the meter to the new and lower capacity of the battery.
  11. Do use Smart Actions, Task Manager and other pre-installed tools and procedures to reduce battery consumption
Don'ts:
  1. Don't discharge your battery to 0% under any circumstance if at all possible.
  2. Don't "bump charge" your battery (a practice where once it's fully charged, the charger is removed and replaced to force more charge into the battery).
  3. Don't allow the battery to become excessively hot while charging.
  4. Don't use chargers other than those approved for use by the manufacturer.
  5. Don't be so preoccupied by the battery meter.
Think of your battery meter much the same as you do your gas tank. You don't want to force more fuel into it than it was designed to accept (topping off your tank can be very dangerous). You don't want to let it run to 0% (zero, empty), or else you'll be stranded. You may want to add $20 or $40 to the tank infrequently or during a long period of use, just to assure you'll make it to the next station. You may want to add fuel even if you don't think you need it or will need it to get to your final destination, since you can't be sure if the station near your destination will be open when you get there.​

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Also hazelgreen, welcome to the forum.. I also have green eyes... not hazel, just green :)

Hope your battery issues get resolved, FoxKats info will go along way toward helping you :)

SallyC

Reaction score
As long as we're going on record about important data, my eyes are blue. We don't know what color FoxKat's eyes are because he's actually a secret agent (Super Moderator is just a cover) and the info is considered highly classified. :p

But he does know more about batteries and such than any other living human being so I would agree that his advice is solid.

Caesars

Reaction score
I really wish a program existed that put the phones through a test. Maybe something that kept the data off and only played video/audio and kept wifi on the entire time, maybe one app that automatically set the phone settings to mirror each other. I really don't see how else people could truly know if the battery is a sub par battery or in the majority of healthy batteries. I would rather see results from this then someone saying they got 2days of use but failing to tell you data was disabled the whole time hehe.

Also I hope your battery is working better OP, USUALLY foxkatts steps seems to help people. I personally feel my battery is a subpar battery, but still better than any other droid stock battery :)

Caesars

Reaction score
Actually what would it cost to have an all in one app produced that for razr maxx did the following :

-set all the settings to be equal, dimmness, volume, etc
-wifi on
-data off (since signal is too much of a vairible)
-monitored temperature
-showed battery percent in th corner
-linked directly to some kind of movie site that would play a specific movie/set of movies, like amazon instant uploads or something like.

I don't know how these apps work if you ant them created for you, I'd assume this can't be that hard to write but I really don't know.

tas914

Reaction score
Well I'm late to the game, but this just started happening to me in the last day. Last night my phone was down to about 20%, so I plugged it into it's usual spot, the USB port on my laptop. When I checked it this morning, it hadn't charged at all!

I thought that was weird, but assumed that maybe I didn't have the plug all the way in so I re-plugged both ends and tried again. A few hours later, I noticed again that it hadn't charged at all. I tried using a different cable. No luck. I tried a different USB port, again no luck.

This was about the time I checked the battery usage stats and found RILD had used 39%. I was also noticing that the phone was getting unusually hot. Not burn-yourself hot, but much hotter than it usually gets.

I then tried using the same cable, plugged into an A/C outlet (with the A/C adaptor). Now it seems to be charging (from 20% to 50% in about an hour) and it's no longer hot.

By the way, I did try powering off/rebooting a couple of times with no affect. I searched these forums and found a number of threads, but none that seem to have a resolution. I'm in an area that has only 3g and a mediocre signal and I keep WiFi turned off most of the time unless I need it for something.

Please let me know if anyone's found a resolution or give me a link to whatever other thread describes one.

Thanks...Tom

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
tas914 said:
Well I'm late to the game, but this just started happening to me in the last day. Last night my phone was down to about 20%, so I plugged it into it's usual spot, the USB port on my laptop. When I checked it this morning, it hadn't charged at all!

I thought that was weird, but assumed that maybe I didn't have the plug all the way in so I re-plugged both ends and tried again. A few hours later, I noticed again that it hadn't charged at all. I tried using a different cable. No luck. I tried a different USB port, again no luck.

This was about the time I checked the battery usage stats and found RILD had used 39%. I was also noticing that the phone was getting unusually hot. Not burn-yourself hot, but much hotter than it usually gets.

I then tried using the same cable, plugged into an A/C outlet (with the A/C adaptor). Now it seems to be charging (from 20% to 50% in about an hour) and it's no longer hot.

By the way, I did try powering off/rebooting a couple of times with no affect. I searched these forums and found a number of threads, but none that seem to have a resolution. I'm in an area that has only 3g and a mediocre signal and I keep WiFi turned off most of the time unless I need it for something.

Please let me know if anyone's found a resolution or give me a link to whatever other thread describes one.

Thanks...Tom

When you plug it into your laptop, make sure that the phone is set to charge only. More than likely, it is set to be a usb

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
What she said :)