RAZR MAXX in Gingerbread - What's up with that?

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Hello,

TigerDirect and Best Buy are offering the Droid RAZR MAXX (not HD) for free or very cheap when signing up (or renewing) with Verizon:

DROID RAZR MAXX by MOTOROLA - 4G LTE for Verizon Wireless - TigerDirect Wireless

Motorola - DROID RAZR MAXX 4G Mobile Phone - Black (Verizon Wireless) - MOTXT912M

Both of these offers say that the phone runs on 2.3 (Gingerbread), even though I understand ICS has long since been released for the RAXR MAXX. (TigerDirect's offer says that the phone is "upgradeable to ICS.)

Anyone know what the heck is going on?

Thank you kindly!

Jeff Deutsch

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
That is because when the phone was first released, it was on GB. Only means that when you receive the phone, you will get prompts to upgrade the software (or you can go into settings and look for upgrades). Many of the brand new og Razr's are shipped still on GB.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What Tis said.

The update should be pushed to your phone within minutes of the phone booting up, if not you can manually check for the update within the settings (settings - phone info - system update). And I would highly suggest that you push the update BEFORE you get to setting up the phone the way you like it. Sometimes when there is a major update the phone may act funny and require a factory reset.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
With the phones I have sold, you have to manually go in and get the software update. My Maxx prompted me, but all of the ones I have sold recently have not done so. The OG Razr has been coming with ICS ootb

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
And like dezy said...if it doesn't update on its own immediately, make sure you update it before loading all your apps and adjusting all your settings. It will ensure that ICS runs without conflicts or problems... and saves you from having to do a factory data reset after you've already set it up.

OP
JeffreyDeutsch
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
TisMyDroid, dezymond and jackiescivic - Thank you very much for your help!

As you might have noticed, I decided to go with a different phone. Your information helped me see what's going on with OS updates (I assume what you said applies to any phone shipped with an earlier OS, not just the RAZR MAXX). Not to mention I'm sure other folks considering the RAZR MAXX appreciate it.

Keep up the good work!

Jeff Deutsch

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
You're welcome Jeffrey. Thanks for the kudos! Curious, what phone did you go for? Are you having fun with it?

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

nettlebait

Reaction score
New to the forum.

Got my Razr Maxx about 6 mos ago. Still running Gingerbread and I'm VERY happy with it.

Received the pushed ICS upgrade file along w everyone else, but I was slow to accept. Then I read about the significant problems many users were experiencing, and so I opted to put off installing the upgrade. This means every time I get the install-upgrade prompt I hit the "back" button at the bottom of the phone's screen, sometimes a couple times a day. Not sure what will happen when the Jellybean upgrade comes out...BUT at least for now I have a wonderful phone.

Since you're not advising folks with a new Razr Maxx w Gingerbread, NOT to upgrade to ICS -- I presume you're not experiencing significant problems w ICS.

Just fishing for hope...!

Thanks.
g

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Nettlebait, welcome to the forum. I had no problems at all with ICS but with every upgrade I always do a factory data reset (fdr). It is a habit I adopted when I had my rooted og droid before installing a new rom.

But you are right, many people had lots of problems with the ICS upgrade. But most everyone's problems were resolved as soon as they did an fdr. The problem was that the ICS upgrade was such a huge change from gingerbread that remnants left over from GB were causing major conflicts with ICS. Motorola should not have released such a major upgrade without an fdr being a function of the upgrade. They should've known that without an fdr there would be many problems.

The changes from ICS to JB are minimal and although I did an fdr (because I like a clean install), one is not necessary for this update.

If I were you, I would go to a Verizon store and play with a phone on ICS. See if you like the new interface and functions of ICS. It also comes with some great advantages. One is the ability to disable bloatware apps. Another is making it a global phone capable of being activated with a foreign sim (very nice if you travel out of the country).

If you like the changes that come with ICS, do an fdr and take the leap to ICS. If you don't or can live without it for a while, stick with GB until they roll out JB. Then when that hits, do an fdr, install ICS, then install JB.

nettlebait

Reaction score
TisMyDroid, thanks very much for the helpful response! I'm glad to hear the FDR solved most of the problems w ICS. Still, the complaints continue to come in and so it still feels like a gamble.

Will take your advice.

The advantages of ICS are tempting, very tempting -- but it's no less true that the phone is a winner w GB (snappy, reliable, battery life is exceptional and it just works [all the time]), and since there's no going back, figure I'll wait until JB before I consider the upgrade.

Regardless, will be sure to do a FDR before any/all upgrades!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh super Jeffrey! Are you having lots of fun with it?

OP
JeffreyDeutsch
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Good morning TisMyDroid - In case my post wasn't clear, click on the link I gave above and you'll see.

(Please, feel free to call me Jeff - thanks!)

Cheers,

Jeff Deutsch

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, it was clear. I like HTC allot. I had the Dinc and thought it was a great phone and my son has the rezound and think that is every bit as good as my Razr Maxx. If the DNA had a removable sdcard it would be on my radar for my next phone... still sort of is. Are you loving it?