Razr Maxx ICS WiFi Problems

BadAtPlaygrounds

Reaction score
Hello all,
I finally broke down and pressed the upgrade button. Since then I have yet to be able to connect to a WiFi network. I've tried power cycling the router, updating firmware, changing the channels, and even adjusting the compositions of the network ssid and password(changing them to all CAPS). Nothing has worked and i am stuck using 3g in a rural area which is far from desirable. Have you guys run into this problem and found a solution?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I haven't found a solution to this, but I just wanted to welcome you to the droid forums :)

I believe this issue has presented itself since ics, but it varies.. some people have no problems with their Wi-Fi... wish I was one of em lol. ;)

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Welcome to the forum Bad!

I have actually seen an improvement with WIFI and ICS, before it would not turn off my cell signal when WIFI connected thus leaving both on. Now my cell signal always turns off and my WIFI stays strong.

I am curious what the differences are between those that are having problems and those that are not.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I also have had no problems with my wifi on ICS. There have been others that have both before and after ICS and if I remember correctly it always seemed related to how their router was set up. Older routers tend to have more problems and sometimes it is a matter of updating the router's drivers and actually going into the router's settings and enabling a different kind fo connection. I wish I could be more specific as to what others have actually done. You could try calling Verizon tech. They actually have walked me through situations like this before.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Sounds repetitive but try clearing your cache or even doing an fdr.. that could help you... FDR's never hurt... but they are unpleasant for some :)

OP
B

BadAtPlaygrounds

Reaction score
The wifi tab will give me an "obtaining ip address" message and never advance further than that. how do you go about an FDR? and does that mean i lose my contacts as well as my apps?

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
This should help you doing your FDR. It is what I do... copied from a previous post of mine
2).Backup the information: call logs, bookmarks, data, apps, pics, etc that you want to make sure you retain: Here are my suggestions I posted before but it is not the only way to accomplish this task.
*I use MyBackup and SMS Backup & Restore.
*I backup pretty much everything except texts with MyBackup(use the SMS B&R for that) and photos, media & music because I keep those on my ext-sd card.
*I also go into individual apps and use their backup if they have one. I actually keep a list of all my apps where it has this feature.
*I backup my texts using SMS Backup & Restore (it gives you many more options for backing up your texts than MyBackup does).
*After I do the fdr, I first go into play store and make sure it is not automatically installing all my apps and stop if it is... cuz I want to do those one at a time. Usually I discover there are apps I do not use or want anymore this way.
*Then I go into SMS B& R and restore my texts.
*Then I install my apps, one at a time and open the ones I use most or that have their own backup & restore feature... I check to see if they are still the way I had them. Some are, some aren't. Then I go to the app's setting and restore for the ones that have that feature.
*I make sure my emails are set up. I use Enhanced Email, so all I have to do is restore them. Not sure what other email programs have this feature.
*Then as I use my phone and use my various apps, I either reset them up fresh or I will use MyBackup to restore their previous settings.
*I probably missed a few steps that I typically do because it is fairly automatic for me but that is close.

3). It is best to do a Factory Data Reset. You ensure a fresh clean device by doing this and limit the risk of any conflicts between old stuff and new stuff. I recommend doing it from the recovery menu but it can also be done through settings --> privacy.

OP
B

BadAtPlaygrounds

Reaction score
Yeah i'm real slow to personalize anything i get and this is no exception. I have no regard for texts or anything of the like and i've barely used the apps so i just went ahead and reset it. i'll let you know what the outcome is. Thanks for all of your help, this forum is real quick to jump to people's aid and it's appreciated.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Thank you B.A.P.! It is nice to know that we have helped. Many times we are just working right along side you trying to figure out the solution. By all means, let us know if that solved your problem. If not, it will be back to the drawing board, lol!

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Try switching your encryption from wpa2 to wpa of reverse it depending on your settings now.

OP
B

BadAtPlaygrounds

Reaction score
I got everything working. Turns out my router hates giving out IP addresses if it's been running for a while. Just a power cycle and everything has been working smoothly since.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Glad you got it up and running :)