Razr Maxx ICS Charging Problem

ace0097

Reaction score
Every since downloading ICS my phone has been whacky, from the glitchy scrolling to generally not knowing what is going on because of old apps being replaced with old ones. The weirdest to me is the fact my phone keep saying it can only be charged to 50%. Not literally with an alert or anything, but I leave my phone on the charger overnight for 8+ hours and all I get is a 50% charge. I even came to work and put it on the charger and it dropped from 50% to 40%!!! I tried doing the soft reset - no luck. If anyone has a word of advice for me I would greatly appreciate it... THANK YOU =]

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Moving this to the Smartphone Battery Discussion forum where all your questions will be answered!

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Every since downloading ICS my phone has been whacky, from the glitchy scrolling to generally not knowing what is going on because of old apps being replaced with old ones. The weirdest to me is the fact my phone keep saying it can only be charged to 50%. Not literally with an alert or anything, but I leave my phone on the charger overnight for 8+ hours and all I get is a 50% charge. I even came to work and put it on the charger and it dropped from 50% to 40%!!! I tried doing the soft reset - no luck. If anyone has a word of advice for me I would greatly appreciate it... THANK YOU =]

This appears to be an issue with the charger & meter not accurately representing the battery's State of Charge (SOC). You need to do a meter training;

Battery Training information courtesy of "FoxKat", our resident battery guru:

Meter calibration for Droid RAZR & RAZR MAXX;
  1. Power off the phone (press and hold the Power button, then select "Power off" from the pop-up menu).
  2. Plug the Stock Motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the Stock Motorola USB Charging cable into the Motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
  3. The phone will boot itself into the "Charge Only" mode. This is identified by first the large Red M logo, followed by a large Battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
  4. After 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
  5. Allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (Droid RAZR), or 5.5 hours minimum (Droid RAZR MAXX). It's OK to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
  6. Once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
  7. After the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "Low battery" warning (Gingerbread shows at 15%, ICS shows at 10%).
  8. Once the phone displays the "Low battery" warning at 15% (10% ICS), repeat steps 1 through 7.
Now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the Droid RAZR and every 2-3 months for the RAZR MAXX (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

OP
A

ace0097

Reaction score
this appears to be an issue with the charger & meter not accurately representing the battery's state of charge (soc). You need to do a meter training;

battery training information courtesy of "foxkat", our resident battery guru:

meter calibration for droid razr & razr maxx;
  1. power off the phone (press and hold the power button, then select "power off" from the pop-up menu).
  2. plug the stock motorola charger into the wall outlet, then plug the stock motorola usb charging cable into the motorola charger, and finally plug the other end of the cable into the phone.
  3. the phone will boot itself into the "charge only" mode. This is identified by first the large red m logo, followed by a large battery icon with a "floating" level and percentage of charge in numbers.
  4. after 10 seconds or so, the display will shut off, but the charging continues.
  5. allow the charger to continue uninterrupted for 3 hours minimum (droid razr), or 5.5 hours minimum (droid razr maxx). It's ok to allow it to charge overnight in this mode. The charger will shut itself off when the maximum charge has been reached so there is no fear of "overcharging" or damaging the battery/phone.
  6. once charged to 100%, you may remove the phone from the charger. To check the charge level at any time during charge, briefly tap either volume up or down and release. In about 3 seconds the display will wake and show the charge level, then after 10 seconds or so will shut down again.
  7. after the initial charge to 100% with power off, power up the phone and use normally but pay attention to the battery as it nears the "low battery" warning (gingerbread shows at 15%, ics shows at 10%).
  8. once the phone displays the "low battery" warning at 15% (10% ics), repeat steps 1 through 7.
now you may use your phone normally. Repeat the above procedure about every 2 months for the droid razr and every 2-3 months for the razr maxx (more often if you are a heavy user, less often for light use).

thank you!!

pbeachy

Reaction score
not working

I have done these steps 1-7 several times, but the phone gets stuck at 50%, 60%, 70%, 80%, and 90% in the process of charging. I have to turn it off to get over the hump of one of these levels. this really sucks, any help? I have done a hard and soft reset and reset the battery nothing works

mikevm

Reaction score
Battery problem

Ok, so I drop my DROID Razr in the Atlantic which means a new phone. So I purchase the new Motorola Razr MAXX. I love it's feel and am now pretty familiar with DRIODs. However the old DROID's RAZR Charger, still on my desk, once plugged in and charging overnight per my nightly habit has caused the new MAXX to get too warm to the touch...hot actually. My investigation discovered that old DROID's charger, same connector of course, is rated at 5V, 1 Amp where as the charger from the box of the new MAXX is 5 V 750 Ma. So, please check the chargers you have to be sure the required voltage and amperage mates that which the phone needs. FYI. I went through all my chargers with this same connector plug and discovered they range in current (.5 Amp, 750 Ma, 1 Amp etc.) but all seem to deliver 5 Volts. Who knew?