razr maxx hotspot hack

condony

Reaction score
anyone have hotspot working using built in hotspot app using sql lite editor?

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Just download Foxfi from the market, no root required. Simple as opening the app & checking off the box to turn on hotspot, that's it.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

mb68

Reaction score
I tried that with DROID x and it wanted me 2 agree 2 hotspot plan

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

cbreze

Reaction score
I used SQlite to edit for the free hot spot app. There is a step by step on youtube showing how. very simple. need to be rooted tho.

KeepInitReel

Reaction score
Root not needed with Foxfi, just download app, install, open Foxfi & check the box!! It does all the work for you!!!!

Btw: Bluetooth tether works out of the box on the razr maxx, no root or app needed, just pair and enjoy!!!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk

DarthKinetic

Reaction score
i just installed foxwi and setup was simple. no root.

I am just going to wait for VZW to drop the email (hammer) when they figure it out :(

i read an article awhile back they the cell phone providers were keeping a close on on this kind of stuff and adding $30 to your bill as a result.

MrTommy

Reaction score
I am just going to wait for VZW to drop the email (hammer) when they figure it out :(

i read an article awhile back they the cell phone providers were keeping a close on on this kind of stuff and adding $30 to your bill as a result.

I'd be curious as to how they'd figure out what was up. Does it 'look' different if you are surfing with your phone than when you're surfing with a 'WiFi' hotspot connection to your other computer?

cricketson007

Reaction score
My D2G was rooted and I did the same thing. Never saw anything on my bill about extra charges

Droid Razr MAXX

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd be curious as to how they'd figure out what was up. Does it 'look' different if you are surfing with your phone than when you're surfing with a 'WiFi' hotspot connection to your other computer?

No inside knowledge about VZW's practices here but I strongly suspect that the alarm bells are set off by spikes in data usage rather than more intrusive examination of users' practices. Although it might be theoretically possible to examine a user's particular browsing habits, I doubt very seriously that VZW would want to take the PR hit that would ensue if they were found to be examining exactly which device were being used to display which website.

A much simpler and from VZW's perspective more important issue is that a user is far more likely to be watching Netflix or otherwise streaming large amounts of data on a 10" tablet screen than a 4" cell phone. Thus, tethering is likely to increase the demand on the network. The tethering charge is meant to compensate for that increased demand.

From a user's point of view it comes down to whether one's data consumption significantly increases from one month to another. Monitoring that activity is non-intrusive and if a user typically uses half a gigabyte per month and suddenly begins to use four or five gigs per month it's very likely that they are using the phone's data plan to display content on another device.

This issue came up a couple of years ago when unlimited data plans were much more prevalent than they are now. And I suspect that those of us who have managed to maintain grandfathered unlimited data plans may well be targets of special interest by carriers on this score. After all, if one opts for a tethering plan combined with a tiered data plan VZW provides an additional 2 gig ceiling on the plan. On the other hand, if one has an unlimited data plan unauthorized tethering amounts to "abuse" of that plan (in VZW's view.)