RAZR maxx HD reboot and freezing

imrunninon

Reaction score
his is my second maxx HD. First one had same power cycling issue and random freezes at any time of use or even non use. Verizon did hard reset and was good for about a week and in the forest and drive to it began power cycling. Thinking it may be due to losing and finding signal but wasn't consistent to that. replaced phone and only into day 1 and phone is having same issues with freezing randomly. A few times being after I turned off Wifi or list wifi signal. I owned original RAZR maxx and never had these issues only replaced because I cracked the screen.

OP
I

imrunninon

Reaction score
Any help by anyone who has seen or heard of this issue with other RAZR Max HD's would be helpful. I just think its odd that 2 of the same devices for me have same style of issues. I want to believe this is a very solid phone that is and will always be better than iPhone.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
My phone has been rebooting at least daily for the last few days. It's really getting annoying. Just did it again now, which prompted me to start looking for answers on here. Did it last night while on the phone. Did it a few days ago while listening to music in the gym (that annoyed me cause it interrupted my workout for like 5 minutes). Is there anything that I could do? I didn't install any apps that I can think of before it started happening but I can't really remember. The last thing I want to do is a factory reset since I can't stand restoring everything. Oh would you look at that, its just rebooting again!! FML! this is getting ridiculous. That's twice in 15 minutes!

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
It has now rebooted 5 or 6 times in the last half hour!!! a couple of them were while it was still booting up from the last reboot. I am backing up apps right now and i guess i'm going to be taking it to verizon. although i know they will just say do a reset.

swharshbar

Reaction score
I've not had those issues. I wonder if its related to one of your apps. Maybe one of them is corrupt and causing the reboot.

Have you done a factory reset and then start loading the apps a few at a time to see the results. I can't see how 2 phones in a row are doing the same thing without some sort of key setting you are changing or some key app causing the issue.

Good luck

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
Mine hasn't done it since that last post. I just finished clearing the cache for each app. Everything is backed up but I'm gonna wait till it does it again before I do a reset. I just hate having to set up everything again. Homescreens, installing apps, ringtones, settings, the whole nine yards. It takes a good few hours to do.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Just for future reference you can clear the cache in stock recovery all at once. It'll be much faster than one by one. ;)

With the phone off hold volume up + volume down + power. You'll see a black screen with white writing. Use volume down to navigate to recovery, press volume up to select it. At the dead android screen hold volume down then tap volume up. Wipe cache then reboot.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Yeti35

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S8+ w/ a Tech 21 case
I've noticed it on mine. I just went into stock recovery and cleared cache. I am gonna see what happens. I have not had it rebooting a lot, but it has happened. I have noticed screen flicker while using it as well. Other then those few items it seems to be pretty good. Has not been a serious issue as of yet for me. Battery life on this thing is amazing and I'm coming from a Maxx.

snowman

Reaction score
never had it reboot just froze once but most likely that freeze was an app. I was using
had to do a reset to get it back it was locked solid (power plus vol. down key )

OP
I

imrunninon

Reaction score
My phone has been rebooting at least daily for the last few days. It's really getting annoying. Just did it again now, which prompted me to start looking for answers on here. Did it last night while on the phone. Did it a few days ago while listening to music in the gym (that annoyed me cause it interrupted my workout for like 5 minutes). Is there anything that I could do? I didn't install any apps that I can think of before it started happening but I can't really remember. The last thing I want to do is a factory reset since I can't stand restoring everything. Oh would you look at that, its just rebooting again!! FML! this is getting ridiculous. That's twice in 15 minutes!

Do you have decent service when this happens? I notice it happen a lot when I have disconnected WiFi or reconnecting to 4g or driving back roads with little service. Last time I did a factory reset on the first one it was great until it started happening again a week later. This phone still does it randomly and is getting worse as last night it rebooted twice in a row. My question could be.. why would we need to keep clearing the cache? I've never had this type of problem with a phone either.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I usually have pretty good service where I am. I was even on the phone with good service (my bedroom like always) and it just restarted. When it did it a whole bunch the other day, I was in my office where I usually have decent service. Here's another strange thing though. I can no longer use my WiFi. When I click the slider to turn it on, it goes on then right back off immediately. I did that and then immediately got a log and looked through it. I was seeing some messages about a driver failure. Maybe a missing driver? Can I install that from the computer or do I need to do a reboot? Or worse, have to get the OS reloaded at Verizon? I think my bluetooth is okay but I did notice that I thought I turned it on and a little later it was off. Although come to think of it, it should have shown my connected devices shortly after turning on but it just said turning on for a little while. I'll have to try that again. It has not rebooted on my yet since that last big spurt. Maybe clearing the cache did it?? I also uninstalled a couple random games that I never use and only downloaded to get rewards in another game (through TapJoy). Maybe those were causing an issue but the last one of those that I installed was at least a week prior to the first reboot.

Hopefully this fixed it but I do need to figure out my WiFi and bluetooth problems. I leave WiFi on all the time for location so that Tasker can change my volumes when I'm at work or in the gym or in meetings. However, I noticed my location has been way off lately. There were a couple times that I was at work and we had a client and my phone rang at full volume because Tasker did not have any active profiles. I looked at Google maps and my location was way off. And it has been. I'm not sure if my WiFi was off when I first starting noticing that but its definitely way off now that WiFi is not on. I used GPS yesterday to make sure it was right however, I checked a few times in my notification bar and when I pulled it up, Tasker would show no active profiles and then all of a sudden the GPS would search and Tasker would change to the correct profile. Not sure if it only saw the proper location every so often when it checks or if it just refreshed but I'm hoping that my volumes had been correct. I don't think so though. I really need to get this WiFi thing figured out. I know that before it stopped turning on, it was barely seeing any networks, even the one in the office. It would only pop up randomly. I'm right next to my computer which showed a minimum of 5-6 networks at any one time! Is the WiFi on these phone just that much worse or maybe that was just a result and the start of the problems with WiFi driver. Hopefully I can get this all fixed.

OP
I

imrunninon

Reaction score
I know the WiFi issue is something that has to do with the jelly bean update. That I believe is a known issue. Doing a factory reset can usually fix that though even this new device seems to have connections issues from time to time being connected and not loading things. Something is wrong but don't know what it could be. I have a feeling it may still be something around the jellybean update for this phone.

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I have not upgraded to jelly bean yet. I am still on ICS. I keep click later when it pops up twice a day which is so annoying but I'm not going to JB until I know it has a lot of benefit over ICS, which both suck! lol I just miss Gingerbread

Natey2

Reaction score

06M6TorridGTO

Reaction score
I have no idea about which reboot it is. Any way to tell after the fact? I just know that a couple of times, it rebooted in the process of still loading, after the lock screen came up and while homepages and stuff were still loading.