RAZR MAXX Gone Wild!

OP
stm

stm

Reaction score
Not sure if it is what you were seeing, but I am trying to identify charging/tethering issue's. One situation I had a third party charger plugged into my Maxx and the unlock screen went wonkers and after finally unlocking the screen it started to make an outgoing call to a contact that I most recently dialed.

I've heard of problems with defective chargers causing erratic behavior. Some have speculated that it may be due to poor grounding in the charger.

However, she wasn't using a charger at the time. It had been off the charger for the entire day. (Love that MAXX battery!) A bit of perspiration is possible. I'm just hoping it's not a defective digitizer as has been suggested. We both have Otterbox Commuter cases on our phones. I wonder if the rubber framing the screen could have interacted with moisture or static electricity to cause this.

I feel comfortable ruling out paranormal activity at this time. ;-)

dpthevp

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me.

Had to do a reset by pressing the on/off key and both up and down keys at the SAME time (like control, alt, delete on PC) .

Maxx working fine now.

claire94

Reaction score
I have been having similar "possessed" behavior from my brand new Maxx. No charger attached, and once when no one was even touching it, it begins flashing on and off. I can't stop the flashing by pressing any of the buttons nor will it allow me to power off. It just flashes in a crazy manner for several seconds and then comes to its senses. This happened when using Epi app, an e-reader app and when the phone was sitting next to the bed. It flashed so much it awakened my husband on the far side of a king bed. It has also happened when removing the phone from my pocket. At the same time, the phone has gone from AMAZING battery life to REALLY AWFUL. If it would just behave this is the most amazing phone imaginable.

I just returned from the Verizon store where I bought the phone and they refuse to take it back unless I can duplicate the problem on demand. YIKES. I've been a Verizon wireless customer for more years than I care to admit, but they treated me like I was a crazy old lady. :mad:

Cinoib

Reaction score
That actually makes sense. Except my wife doesn't wear any jewelry at all. (Lucky for me!) I'm thinking it has to be something like that, though. Something that gives off an electromagnetic field like your finger would.

Thanks for the idea, though. I'm still trying to figure out how the little rubber-tipped stylus works for these touchscreens.

stm

Rubber tipped s likely won't work. Capacitive screens are activate by the heat in your finger tip. So were a rubber cot and you might be fine.

Sent from my SGH-T849 using DroidForums

Cinoib

Reaction score
I have been having similar "possessed" behavior from my brand new Maxx. No charger attached, and once when no one was even touching it, it begins flashing on and off. I can't stop the flashing by pressing any of the buttons nor will it allow me to power off. It just flashes in a crazy manner for several seconds and then comes to its senses. This happened when using Epi app, an e-reader app and when the phone was sitting next to the bed. It flashed so much it awakened my husband on the far side of a king bed. It has also happened when removing the phone from my pocket. At the same time, the phone has gone from AMAZING battery life to REALLY AWFUL. If it would just behave this is the most amazing phone imaginable.

I just returned from the Verizon store where I bought the phone and they refuse to take it back unless I can duplicate the problem on demand. YIKES. I've been a Verizon wireless customer for more years than I care to admit, but they treated me like I was a crazy old lady. :mad:

I get some very eradic behavior when using Skyfire Browser. I'll tap the link I want to choose. Then the browser screen will shimmy up and down..., like a quiver. I'll then pull the link downward and tap it again. It does fine then.

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
The only screen issue I have had is with unlocking the phone. I push the power button to wake it up and before I can unlock it, the screen goes back to sleep. Might be caused by widget locker, but doesn't happen often enough to disable the app.

Off topic,
I am using a targus rubber tipped stylus right now. Works just fine on my Razr and my Xoom. Also works on my jabra halo headphones. The volume control is touch sensitive. Swype is so much better for me with the stylus than my finger ever was. Also easier to edit, as I can get right to where I need to be. Could never get right there with my sausage fingers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Rubber tipped s likely won't work. Capacitive screens are activate by the heat in your finger tip. So were a rubber cot and you might be fine.

Actually heat has nothing to do with it. Multi-touch capacitive screens respond to slight changes in electrical charges brought on by distorting in the"field" at the capacitor junctions. As you place your finger on the screen you effectively change the capacitance measured and the system senses that change using it to determine your finger's location.

Since water also can change capacitance by disrupting the field as well, this is why when the screen gets wet it can start acting erratic. Essentially anything that can contain a static charge or conduct electricity can affect capacitance, including dirt, finger or facial oils, metal particles, etc. This is why dusty radio tuners can demonstrate poor reception. The dust in the variable capacitor causes the values to be distorted our diminished and reduce their effectiveness.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
That actually makes sense. Except my wife doesn't wear any jewelry at all. (Lucky for me!) I'm thinking it has to be something like that, though. Something that gives off an electromagnetic field like your finger would.

Thanks for the idea, though. I'm still trying to figure out how the little rubber-tipped stylus works for these touchscreens.

stm

The rubber is impregnated with conductive particles, could be as simple as carbon, which then changes the capacitance of the screen where it's touching. Your assumption is almost spot on. It changes or disrupts the electrostatic field in the area immediately above a capacitive junction, causing minute changes in the measured capacitance, a tiny change in voltage difference between the two poles of the capacitor. In fact it doesn't have to make electrical contact. To prove it, place your phone inside a clear plastic bag and then try using the phone as normal. You'll find it still recognizes where your finger is, though it may be somewhat less accurate or responsive.

OP
stm

stm

Reaction score
The rubber is impregnated with conductive particles, could be as simple as carbon, which then changes the capacitance of the screen where it's touching. Your assumption is almost spot on. It changes or disrupts the electrostatic field in the area immediately above a capacitive junction, causing minute changes in the measured capacitance, a tiny change in voltage difference between the two poles of the capacitor. In fact it doesn't have to make electrical contact. To prove it, place your phone inside a clear plastic bag and then try using the phone as normal. You'll find it still recognizes where your finger is, though it may be somewhat less accurate or responsive.

Thanks for confirming and clarifying my suspicions. I guess she needs to clean her screen more often! That seems more likely than defective hardware, glitchy software or paranormal activity. ;-)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Thanks for confirming and clarifying my suspicions. I guess she needs to clean her screen more often! That seems more likely than defective hardware, glitchy software or paranormal activity. ;-)

Lol! I don't know, I kinda like choice number three myself!

bolaar

Reaction score
This exact issue occurred on my wife's phone the a couple weeks ago.

We were at a swim meet so it was warm to say the least and my daughter was playing fruit ninja on it...suddenly it went crazy.

Rebooted it and it was okay after that.

It was quite warm and was getting a TON of touch usage. Uninstalled fruit ninja also.

Issue has not occurred again.