razr maxx getting HOT all of the sudden

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
OK, in this case you're not gonna like me, but you should really try a factory data reset. It sounds like your having a software issue.

Settings, privacy, factory data reset, follow the prompts. Its not as bad as you think. For the most part everything is restored to your phone, you will have to set up the home screen again.

If you have issues with the play store after the reset, just go into settings, applications, manage applications, all, play store, clear data and force stop. Then go back to the play store again. You will see its the play store again, and all apps should download as they should. :cool:

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yesterday, I was at my sister's who lives more in the boonies than I do. I forgot to turn off my wifi and I forgot to turn off data. When I went to grab my phone it felt very hot. It never has done that. The temperature was 119°F. Assuming it was because it was on the hopeless quest of searching for 4g and wifi, I quickly turned off both 4g and wifi. It also sucked the battery about 30% in two hours time but checking the battery stats showed nothing unusual so I was confident it was not an app draining it but the search for wifi and 4g. After turning off wifi and data and taking off the gel case off, my phone dropped temp to 93° in less than 5 minutes. If you are in a poor data signal area especially for 4g then that could be the cause. Usually I only have my phone on 3g only and don't have a problem but happened to be in the city and enabled 4g which I forgot to turn back off.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Whoa, at 144° I would have hoped it would turn itself off to prevent it from frying. Do you know what caused that?

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
My 1st Razr got way up there after I did the first .181 update, smart actions was continuously using at least 70% CPU, it was also draining battery at about 1%/min. At least I could fix that problem.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forum Runner

altjx

Reaction score
Wow. There's some hot phones up in this thread. Interesting reads though. My phone only gets hot if I'm using it while on the charger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Tapatalk 2.

OP
M

megraven21

Reaction score
I thought it worth mentioning that I just woke up, havent been using my phone all (since I was sleeping) and my phone temp is 108. If i touch my screen for longer than a quick tap it burns my finger.

On DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Shut the phone off. Simple as that. Reboot it. You have a run away app or something. The heat that you feel is the processor... you can almost fry an egg with these things. :eek:

Also, 108 shouldn't burn ya too bad. Depending on where you live, your cars exterior, and interior, especially the steering wheel get way hotter when your vehicle sits in the summer sun :)

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
So 108 isn't normal? Mine always gets that hot if I have BT, GPS, & 3G on.

1339708296469.jpg

MAzing87

Reaction score
Re

Reading and even finding this thread isn't a surprise to me. Because I too have had this same problem. I have the original Droid Razr. The fact that you guys have the Droid Razr Maxx with the same issue is very disappointing because I was prepared to shell up more money just to get that phone to end this overheating issue.

My story? I called up Veri to tell them that my phone is ridiculously hot, whether its charging or not in use. They told me it might be a charger issue. So they sent me some universal charger. That didn't help because my phone would still get hot. Next step, I went to a Veri store. The techs were acting like they didn't understand why the phone would get hot, when I know I wasn't the first customer with this complaint. So they went ahead and shipped a replacement phone. I received the phone, tried to switch everything over via telephone with a rep, that took about an hr. It worked for a bit, but the replacement phone couldn't read my SIM card. So I went back to the store and that took another hr to get it fixed. A day later, the phone couldn't read my SIM card again and it got just as hot as the my first phone. Called tech support, they overnighted a replacement for the replacement. Got the phone, it works this time, but same issue exists, a very hot phone when I'm not even using it. The whole ordeal was just a waste of time. The Razrs are just very bad phones!

I have a silicone case on my Razr. The temperature gets so hot, I almost feel like it will explode in my hands. There should be no reason for the phone to get this hot when its not in use. And if I have about 30% battery left and its on standby, it will die about an hr or so later. I am prepared to downgrade my phone back to my Droid X, because I never had this problem with it. Maybe it's the apps like some are saying that is running, maybe its the 4G. I don't know what it is, but I am left disappointed. :angry:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine have gotten as hot as 114...

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
The only time my Maxx got excessively hot is when I forgot that I had left wifi on and lte data on but was in an area where there was no wifi available nor 3g or 4g data. As soon as I disabled data and wifi (and removed my gel case), the phone cooled to normal within 5 minutes. I assumed the reason the phone got so hot was because it was frantically trying to connect to data and wifi that was not there. I imagine that if your phone is frantically trying to do something in the background it will cause it to overheat.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Mine was out in the heat yesterday, with me, so 114 was actually cool lol.

MAzing87

Reaction score
The only time my Maxx got excessively hot is when I forgot that I had left wifi on and lte data on but was in an area where there was no wifi available nor 3g or 4g data. As soon as I disabled data and wifi (and removed my gel case), the phone cooled to normal within 5 minutes. I assumed the reason the phone got so hot was because it was frantically trying to connect to data and wifi that was not there. I imagine that if your phone is frantically trying to do something in the background it will cause it to overheat.

I actually disabled some of the settings like background data and my 4G and the frequency of high temp was a lil less. But it still gets hot. The other gripe I have is how my phone dies when it's on standby.

Has anyone ever downgraded their phone?