RAZR MAXX First Use - Experts help please!

pilotranger

Reaction score
I took it home and did what the Verizon guy told me to do - let it drain until about 10% and then recharged it to 100% and using it ever since. Would this affect the battery in a negative way?

Also, could I still do the 100% charge/15% drain/100% charge every 2 months as you suggested, knowing that I did the almost full drain when I took it home?

Thanks,
AV

Right, except not to die completely.

Charge to 100% with power off, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off. Use normally and repeat every two to three months.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I took it home and did what the Verizon guy told me to do - let it drain until about 10% and then recharged it to 100% and using it ever since. Would this affect the battery in a negative way?

Also, could I still do the 100% charge/15% drain/100% charge every 2 months as you suggested, knowing that I did the almost full drain when I took it home?

Thanks,
AV

The Verizon guy was flat out wrong. The manual is crafted by a team of writers who are working from very strict outlines prepared by the engineers who are actually on the design team. Who would you think is more likely going to know the proper way to charge, set up and activate your phone?

Discharging to below 15% a brand new phone that's been sitting in storage since it left the factory is risking deep discharging the battery and potentially putting the phone into booting, power cycling or the dreaded White Light of Death. Now, when you charged to 100%, did you first power off the phone (press and hold power button, tap "power off" from the menu)? If not, I'd start over.

Power the phone off, plug in and charge to 100%, use until it reaches 15%, power off again and charge to 100%.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7

Thanks,
AV

Just to clarify, 10% is OK too, but the "Low battery" flag is set at 15% so there's no benefit to draining any lower. The only reason why you might use it past 15% (into the bottom 15%) is if you have to make calls quickly, or need to end a browsing session, respond to emails, something pressing. Otherwise, you should stop use at or as close to but just under 15% as possible. 10% is fine and doing that once will have an immeasurable effect, but discharge below 15% on a regular basis and you WILL reduce the battery life.

See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/smartphone-battery-discussion/212656-charging-my-razr.html for a pretty in-depth discussion, but this graphic below says pretty much everything you need to know. Stay out of the "Zone of Temptation" if at all possible, run in "The zone of long battery life" instead and your battery will outlast the phone's expected "end of life".

Note: This chart is for a battery that has a rated capacity of 1,400mAh at 4.2V. In this example, they aren't charging it to 4.2V (100%), but instead to about 3.8V (closer to 80%) so it doesn't directly represent the remaining capacity of our batteries at the 15% mark, but the point where the curves begin to drop off (left edge of the red box) is the at about 20% mark for this battery, and so it applies to all batteries of this type, so just multiply any of those numbers across the bottom by 2.36 to see where our batteries will be. In this case, "The Zone of Temptation" starts at about 20%, but our phones have the low battery threshold flag set at 15%, so call that OUR bottom number, or where WE enter "The Zone of Temptation".

View attachment 51202

Good luck! :biggrin:

Last edited:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
Just to clarify, 10% is OK too, but the "Low battery" flag is set at 15% so there's no benefit to draining any lower. The only reason why you might use it past 15% (into the bottom 15%) is if you have to make calls quickly, or need to end a browsing session, respond to emails, something pressing. Otherwise, you should stop use at or as close to but just under 15% as possible. 10% is fine and doing that once will have an immeasurable effect, but discharge below 15% on a regular basis and you WILL reduce the battery life.

See http://www.droidforums.net/forum/smartphone-battery-discussion/212656-charging-my-razr.html for a pretty in-depth discussion, but this graphic below says pretty much everything you need to know. Stay out of the "Zone of Temptation" if at all possible, run in "The zone of long battery life" instead and your battery will outlast the phone's expected "end of life".

Note: This chart is for a battery that has a rated capacity of 1,400mAh at 4.2V. In this example, they aren't charging it to 4.2V (100%), but instead to about 3.8V (closer to 80%) so it doesn't directly represent the remaining capacity of our batteries at the 15% mark, but the point where the curves begin to drop off (left edge of the red box) is the at about 20% mark for this battery, and so it applies to all batteries of this type, so just multiply any of those numbers across the bottom by 2.36 to see where our batteries will be. In this case, "The Zone of Temptation" starts at about 20%, but our phones have the low battery threshold flag set at 15%, so call that OUR bottom number, or where WE enter "The Zone of Temptation".

View attachment 51202

Good luck! :biggrin:

Your knowledge of batteries astonishes and dumbfounds me.

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

pilotranger

Reaction score
Thanks for advice

I powered it up to 100% with the power on. I try your method - power completely off, charge to 100% and use until 15% capacity and restart the process again. I just hope I didn't screw up the battery by following the Verizon guy's instructions. I just let it drain down to 10% from the time it came out of the box and recharged it to 100% with it on.

Thanks for all the helpful information.
pilotranger

The Verizon guy was flat out wrong. The manual is crafted by a team of writers who are working from very strict outlines prepared by the engineers who are actually on the design team. Who would you think is more likely going to know the proper way to charge, set up and activate your phone?

Discharging to below 15% a brand new phone that's been sitting in storage since it left the factory is risking deep discharging the battery and potentially putting the phone into booting, power cycling or the dreaded White Light of Death. Now, when you charged to 100%, did you first power off the phone (press and hold power button, tap "power off" from the menu)? If not, I'd start over.

Power the phone off, plug in and charge to 100%, use until it reaches 15%, power off again and charge to 100%.