RAZR MAXX First Use - Experts help please!

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
View attachment 51093

So leaving it on charge after 100% is basically a waste of the power that the wall adapter block is pulling, simply burning off as heat. And no, it's not either bad or dangerous for the battery to leave it "connected to a charger" after it's reached 100% (notice I didn't say "CHARGING"), because once it's reached 100%, the charger is shut down. It's doing NOTHING at that point, neither good nor bad. "

I see.
Actually I didn't have any idea how you can "charge it" over 100% and damage it if simply leaving it on the charger for many hours doesn't have any effect.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
I see.
Actually I didn't have any idea how you can "charge it" over 100% and damage it if simply leaving it on the charger for many hours doesn't have any effect.

It could make it overheat, for one. It's a possibility. There's not a scare of charging it over 100% and damaging it, there's a scare of leaving the charger attached and it sucking juice back out of the battery, and shortening the max amount of charge that's it's supposed to hold. And the longer you do that, the more you do it, the shorter you battery life will be. If I'm wrong, which I think I might be, FoxKat will chime back in. I've been awake all night and I'm seeing double and thinking less than fat kid running after a twinkie dangling from a string that's fixed to a pole on top of his head...

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Charger and phone will cut off at 100% and standby til battery drops volt to certain amount then will kick back on to top off. It won't suck power from battery.

sent from a RAZR on a Harley!

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
The advice they are giving you verbally about charging 12-15 hours is right for other types of batteries, namely Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal-Hydride, but is completely wrong for Lithium based batteries, of which the ones on your phone, specifically Lithium Ion Polymer Pouch Packs (LIPO Pouch). LI batteries can not even withstand charging for such an extremely long period of time. Doing do can result in the battery self-destructing. The battery isn't expandable like a balloon, it can only hold as much current and voltage as it can hold safely, and any excessive charging is damaging to the battery
Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
^I was referring to this^

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Only if the charging does not auto- cutoff.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Charger and phone will cut off at 100% and standby til battery drops volt to certain amount then will kick back on to top off. It won't suck power from battery.

Only if the charging does not auto- cutoff.

Agreed! :D

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk 2

drivinfocused

Reaction score
JohnnytheK said:
The funny thing is nobody follows the fully charge rule. The nice people at Verizon turn it on load up your contacts and off you go. Then it goes on the charger after you get home, and you play with it for a while.

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

I got mine activated contacts loaded. as I walked out the store I turned it off and charged.

ultra09hd

Reaction score
Well, I think this is not the case for Razr, right? So no worries about that I hope...

What you mean? That's the case for any sort of battery charger, all have auto cut off or batteries everywhere would be blowing up.

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
Of course. You said " Only if the charging does not auto- cutoff" and my response was "I think this is not the case for Razr" (to not auto-cut off)

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Actually, only newer chargers designed for Lithium Ion batteries actually interrupt charging. Older chargers for non-Lithium based batteries resort to a trickle charge but Lithium Ion batteries can not withstand trickle charger once fully charged, or as ultra says they would eventually fail violently.

In our case, the charger will interrupt charging as long as it's functioning normally.

Last edited:

pilotranger

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just got my brand new DROID Razr MAXX the other day and love it!! From what I am reading on this thread, we're supposed to take it out of the box and charge it right away to 100%. But my Verizon sales rep told me to drain it down all the way first then fully charge it.

Will that mess up the battery capacity? I feel I am not getting the battery life that Moto/Verizon is claiming for the Razr Maxx. I don't do much on this phone for the last several days and looks like the battery is draining pretty fast.

Any help is appreciated.

Pilotranger,
New Droid user/convert from Blackberry.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just got my brand new DROID Razr MAXX the other day and love it!! From what I am reading on this thread, we're supposed to take it out of the box and charge it right away to 100%. But my Verizon sales rep told me to drain it down all the way first then fully charge it.

Will that mess up the battery capacity? I feel I am not getting the battery life that Moto/Verizon is claiming for the Razr Maxx. I don't do much on this phone for the last several days and looks like the battery is draining pretty fast.

Any help is appreciated.

Pilotranger,
New Droid user/convert from Blackberry.

Verizon sets the phone up on factory charge. The correct way, regardless is out of box to wall charge full! Then let die completely ..then back to full, from there a bump is OK here and there..I made verizon hand me the box and bring home..

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Verizon sets the phone up on factory charge. The correct way, regardless is out of box to wall charge full! Then let die completely ..then back to full, from there a bump is OK here and there..I made verizon hand me the box and bring home..

Sent from my Droid Razr using Tapatalk 2

Right, except not to die completely.

Charge to 100% with power off, use to 15%, charge to 100% with power off. Use normally and repeat every two to three months.