RAZR MAXX First Use - Experts help please!

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
But don't forget to charge it back up after that last 25%. ;)

Sent from my 3rd reincarnation of the ever-so-lovable Droid

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
A one year mistake since the Razr is out, mistake made again with MAXX?:confused:
And why all the people from de Tech Dept of Motorola recommend to first charge for minimum 12h?? I spoke at least with 15 different members in 3 months, both from the USA and Europe. Just one of them thinks it's not necessary to give so much attention to the number of charging hours.

The advice they are giving you verbally about charging 12-15 hours is right for other types of batteries, namely Nickel Cadmium and Nickel Metal-Hydride, but is completely wrong for Lithium based batteries, of which the ones on your phone, specifically Lithium Ion Polymer Pouch Packs (LIPO Pouch). LI batteries can not even withstand charging for such an extremely long period of time. Doing do can result in the battery self-destructing. The battery isn't expandable like a balloon, it can only hold as much current and voltage as it can hold safely, and any excessive charging is damaging to the battery, unlike for example Lead Acid batteries which actually perform best if left on charge constantly. Also, the charging circuitry knows this and terminates charging once the battery reaches the optimum voltages and from then on, simply monitors the voltage, resuming charging for short portions of time if it decreases to about 90% off capacity.

The owners manual which is prepared by the same engineers who are involved in the design of the phone and battery charging system says 3 hours for the first charge, with power off, so who do you think is right, the technicians or the engineers?

Now, as for why you need to charge first with power off to 100%, many here have explained very well the reasons, but it comes down to two things, if the phone's meter doesn't know what a 100% charged battery looks like, it can't properly shut down charging once it's full. The first charge let's the battery reach full saturation levels and lets the meter set the full flag so it can use that information again in the future to show accurate charge levels. Without knowing what a discharged battery looks like, it also can't tell when to signal that charging is necessary. The combination of knowing full and empty enables it to provide relatively accurate indication of how much charge is remaining at any given time.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
Probably I look like one who has OCD but it was extremely difficult for me after more than 7 years of using Razr V3i & Razr V8/V9 with extended battery and charge them every 10-12 days, even after two weeks in moderate use, then I buy a Razr XT910 - 3 times more expensive then any device I had and be forced to wear and care and be aware of his battery status daily! And walking with its charger on my pocket every day...it's shameful.
Now it will be for the second time I buy the most expensive device and I really need to get 101% of his performances.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Unfortunately these smartphones are far more demanding of the battery and until the batteries become many times more efficient and/or the phone circuit learns how to sip power instead of gulp it, they will never be able to compete with the earlier "dumb" phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
The UK user guide for the exactly same phone list a 5.5 hours for the first charge, information also listed on the Razr Maxx profile...

View attachment 51081

View attachment 51082

Yes, 5.5 hours for the MAXX, battery is nearly twice the size (3,300 mAh versus 1,780 mAh), so it takes nearly twice as long to charge. 3 hours for the Droid RAZR, 5.5 hours for the Droid RAZR MAXX.

I was under the impression we were talking about the RAZR, not the MAXX. If I was mistaken, please accept my apology.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Then it seems to be simple; what I have to do look like this:
-take the phone out of the box, power off of course, put it to charge for 12 hours (to be a load of 100% safe). After 12 hours turn it on and using the phone until it reaches 15%. Then power it off again, charging 4-5 hours for a 100% and then using it to 15%...and...it's ready! It will be the accurate by the book battery operation ever :laugh:
If I missed something please notify me right away!

Now I just have to wait for the courier to making the delivery...

Everything is correct, but there's no need to use to 15% second time around.

OP
DamianD

DamianD

Reaction score
RAZR MAXX as in the title of the topic :) Razr standard is my old one already...
So, to draw a clear line, from what You know / have experienced so far - it's not required an initial charge of 8-10 or 12 hours or it's really bad / dangerous for battery?
Should I do the first charge for exactly 5,5 h eyes on the watch??
Thanks so much for replying me anyway, I feel better now after I had your directly opinions here.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Just charge until it hits 100% powered off. That's it.

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Wow! I'm speechless. Someone got a tissue? My eyes are watering. I guess there's nothing left for me to do, you all handled this so well.

We should by now, after all you have tought us well!

Sent by my new Droid Razr Maxx

Last edited:

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
We should by now, after all you have tought us well!

Exactly! After reading his posts I feel like I'm the king of batteries now! Lol

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
The funny thing is nobody follows the fully charge rule. The nice people at Verizon turn it on load up your contacts and off you go. Then it goes on the charger after you get home, and you play with it for a while.

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
The funny thing is nobody follows the fully charge rule. The nice people at Verizon turn it on load up your contacts and off you go. Then it goes on the charger after you get home, and you play with it for a while.

Yeah, Verizon is one of the main offenders of that "rule." Especially the sales reps in-store. As long as they can take your money, they couldn't care less.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
RAZR MAXX as in the title of the topic :) Razr standard is my old one already...
So, to draw a clear line, from what You know / have experienced so far - it's not required an initial charge of 8-10 or 12 hours or it's really bad / dangerous for battery?
Should I do the first charge for exactly 5,5 h eyes on the watch??
Thanks so much for replying me anyway, I feel better now after I had your directly opinions here.

Yeah, I missed that in the title. I read the first post and got from it that the reps were telling you 12-15 hours for the RAZR...my mistake. As for your second question, you are right, there is NO reason to charge longer than when the phone reports 100% on the display in the large animated battery while powered off (press Volume up or down to check while progressing). Once it reaches 100%, the phone disconnects the charging from the battery internally so it's doing nothing at that point, and would only add to the battery if it self-discharged to 90% - which would take many hours since self-discharge rate for these batteries is like extremely slow.

From BatteryUniversity.com:

"Lithium-ion self-discharges about five percent in the first 24 hours and then loses 1 to 2 percent per month; the protection circuit adds another three percent per month. Table 2 shows the typical self-discharge of battery systems.."

View attachment 51093

So leaving it on charge after 100% is basically a waste of the power that the wall adapter block is pulling, simply burning off as heat. And no, it's not either bad or dangerous for the battery to leave it "connected to a charger" after it's reached 100% (notice I didn't say "CHARGING"), because once it's reached 100%, the charger is shut down. It's doing NOTHING at that point, neither good nor bad. Yes, your first charge (*for the MAXX) should be about 5.5 hours, but could be less depending on how much stored power remains from the factory. If it's already holding 40%, it might hit 100% in only 3-3.5 hours. There's only one way to know for sure how much YOUR battery will need. Charge until the phone shows 100%. Don't stress out about how long it takes, don't "watch the kettle on the stove" (i.e. battery on charge), for if you do...yes, it'll boil (i.e. charge) - but so will your brain from the frustration of watching it! :blink:

Just charge until it hits 100% powered off. That's it.

Exactly.

The funny thing is nobody follows the fully charge rule. The nice people at Verizon turn it on load up your contacts and off you go. Then it goes on the charger after you get home, and you play with it for a while.x

Yeah, like until it dies while using it...the WOW factor, hence the beginning of the problem.

Yeah, Verizon is one of the main offenders of that "rule." Especially the sales reps in-store. As long as they can take your money, they couldn't care less.

Exactly, and one of the MAIN reasons why people's phones eventually wind up in a bootloop or White Light of Death situation. The Verizon store employees should be TEACHING this at the counter. They should bring up the user's manual and SHOW the page to the customer, and then explain WHY. But you know most wouldn't listen anyway. Come on, how many of you really think a Tweener or Geekster would walk out of the store, new phone in hand, and say to themselves, "I'm not going to use this Brand New phone to text all my friends and tell them about it. Instead, I'm going to go home and plug it into the charge for several hours instead."

cobravnm13

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note 9
[QUOTE\]"Exactly, and one of the MAIN reasons why people's phones eventually wind up in a bootloop or White Light of Death situation. The Verizon store employees should be TEACHING this at the counter. They should bring up the user's manual and SHOW the page to the customer, and then explain WHY. But you know most wouldn't listen anyway. Come on, how many of you really think a Tweener or Geekster would walk out of the store, new phone in hand, and say to themselves, "I'm not going to use this Brand New phone to text all my friends and tell them about it. Instead, I'm going to go home and plug it into the charge for several hours instead."[/QUOTE]

Yup.

Last edited: