Razr Maxx Data Connectivity Issues 4G

natemail

Reaction score
Hello, I spent an hour looking for more posts on this issue and only get 4G or wifi specific, but I was wondering if anyone has been having similar issues as mine;

When in 4g, I can not stream data reliably. What I mean by that is I get excellent data throughput, but its very very "jittery" So I can be using a low (well lower than some media) bandwidth app like Sirius radio, Pandora, or even Google navigator, and will have major issues with data dropout. It will play a song for about 30 seconds, then a 30 second pause while it tries to pick the stream back up and it will do this almost 100% of the time. With YouTube, it will fly through and get at least 30 seconds of the video in an instant, then when my viewing catches up, it takes about a minute for it to grab the next 30 seconds and so on. When I switch to 3g, streams and YouTube work great! I'm confused as to the point of 4G if you get data bursts of 12mbs, then Zero! What practical application does that have?

I use Verizon, and am lucky enough to have upgraded in time to maintain my unlimited data... I live in the metro Milwaukee area and have a consistent 4 bar signal sometimes 3 when driving around the city.

To better illustrate my issue, I used "speedtest" and when I run it I get a huge burst for about 12mbs, then it looses connection about 50% of the time before the test even completes!

Anyone having similar issues? Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue?

I have basically been using my phone on 3g since 4G is completely unreliable. (I get about 2o0kbps - 550kbps on 3g with 4 bars)

In fact I don't really see the point of 4G anymore since Verizon has implemented the bandwidth caps and tiered plans... I mean you used 4G to its potential you could only get 10 minutes of full bandwidth use until you were over your cap.

Also, I have the MAXX, and I am lucky if I get 12 hours of standard use with no streaming... How the F... did the testers get 12 hours of video time on netflix?

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
natemail said:
Hello, I spent an hour looking for more posts on this issue and only get 4G or wifi specific, but I was wondering if anyone has been having similar issues as mine;

When in 4g, I can not stream data reliably. What I mean by that is I get excellent data throughput, but its very very "jittery" So I can be using a low (well lower than some media) bandwidth app like Sirius radio, Pandora, or even Google navigator, and will have major issues with data dropout. It will play a song for about 30 seconds, then a 30 second pause while it tries to pick the stream back up and it will do this almost 100% of the time. With YouTube, it will fly through and get at least 30 seconds of the video in an instant, then when my viewing catches up, it takes about a minute for it to grab the next 30 seconds and so on. When I switch to 3g, streams and YouTube work great! I'm confused as to the point of 4G if you get data bursts of 12mbs, then Zero! What practical application does that have?

I use Verizon, and am lucky enough to have upgraded in time to maintain my unlimited data... I live in the metro Milwaukee area and have a consistent 4 bar signal sometimes 3 when driving around the city.

To better illustrate my issue, I used "speedtest" and when I run it I get a huge burst for about 12mbs, then it looses connection about 50% of the time before the test even completes!

Anyone having similar issues? Has anyone found a way to resolve this issue?

I have basically been using my phone on 3g since 4G is completely unreliable. (I get about 2o0kbps - 550kbps on 3g with 4 bars)

In fact I don't really see the point of 4G anymore since Verizon has implemented the bandwidth caps and tiered plans... I mean you used 4G to its potential you could only get 10 minutes of full bandwidth use until you were over your cap.

Also, I have the MAXX, and I am lucky if I get 12 hours of standard use with no streaming... How the F... did the testers get 12 hours of video time on netflix?

I also live in the milwaukee area, and have a maxx, and i have never expeienced what you are describing. My best speedtest has been 33mbps. Also, the bars are for phone signal, not data, from my understanding. Have you tried reseating your sim card? Power down your phone, remove sim, power up, power down, reinsert sim and power up. It could be that, it could be a bad sim card, or it could be a bad phone.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I also live in the milwaukee area, and have a maxx, and i have never expeienced what you are describing. My best speedtest has been 33mbps. Also, the bars are for phone signal, not data, from my understanding. Have you tried reseating your sim card? Power down your phone, remove sim, power up, power down, reinsert sim and power up. It could be that, it could be a bad sim card, or it could be a bad phone.

What she said. :) hey Jackie!!

Also if your continually having this issue... I have to ask, how often do you power off the device?? You might consider turning it off once every day.. this is recommended by moto. Its sounds like a pain, but not really, when i charge at night, I lower off, and power on in the am.. that's just me though.

And this is for both maxx's :)

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
I've had that problem with 3 out 4 of my Razrs(current one included-#5 is now on it's way-fingers crossed I get another one that data works well without some other major issue).

After ruling out other options like SIM card, local network issues, Motorola restore connection app(meant to restore settings a battery saver app messes up but has help some with data issues that never used the app so worth a shot), FDR, & lastly phone swap. If your still under 14 days push to try all things prior to reaching it so of you do end up swapping phone you can get a new one instead of a CLNR.

1339708296469.jpg

OP
N

natemail

Reaction score
Thanks!!

I'll give those things a try, now that I think about it... When I first bought to phone I had 5 bars 4g in Blue, but it gave me a "no data connection warning" when the guy at the Verizon store was getting me to sync my Google account... Even he said that it should be working and that "that's weird".. but after a reboot the data connection was back working. I'll try re installing my SIM etc.. I'll wait and see if I get any more responses or similar issues before I send it in for warranty.

Also @lovemyram4x4 I'm well over the 14 days.. What were the issues with your other 4 phones and what has Verizon said about it?

Last edited:

lovemyram4x4

Reaction score
#1 was all data related, on top of it spending more time disconnected than connected it also causes phone to overheat and not charge.

#2 showed up with a power button that functioned but didn't click-mainly just an annoyance, but data worked great, unfortunately after a few days the battery puffed.

#3 had the same data issues as #1 & a speaker with a bad connection (just lightly touching the housing around the speaker would make quit/start working).

#4 data issues again but not quite as bad as if up it on 3g only it would stay bellow 110F and still charge. I was holding off hoping the new radios on ICS might fix the data issues as it's a pain setting up a phone even with backing up app data. I've also had a handful off phone resets just out of the blue while doing totally different things. Just recently it started dropping BT connection with my car & after trying ever possible thing I can think of #5 is on it's way.

I'm not surprised by the varied issues since Verizon's CLNR phones have nevered had a very good track record, but I was surprised 2 of them had data issues, then again they were probably phones that were returned because of that.

1339708296469.jpg

tjk629

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
NEXUS 6
Please be sure to call verizon about it!

I've been doing that with my Bionic over the past two days. Got to a tier 2 tech support person, and she posted my issue on an some internal forum they use for this stuff. The more people complain, the more verizon will look into it.

It seems like Bionic and Razr users are having a lot of data issues recently. We have to make ourselves heard, or nothing is going to happen. Fast enough anyways.

OP
N

natemail

Reaction score
So... Holding off until ICS was worth it! My Maxx has never worked better! So far 100% reliable and fast 4g. Things are working great after the update, this is how this device should have worked when i got it. Lets hope it stays this way.

blake28

Reaction score
Yup!!! Well said, I also was having a lot of data issues with my RAZR dropping 4g all of the time. Well I got ics yesterday and so far I haven't lost 4g once. I installed ics at 5:30 a.m yesterday morning, so I definitely feel that they finally figured these radios out on the razr's.

So hopefully this will remain and not go back to data issues.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

tebowrozay

Reaction score
I have been having issues with my droid razr ics losing data completely

naknak95

Reaction score
I have been having issues with my droid razr ics losing data completely

It has to be something with the Razr's. I put my SIM in my Thunderbolt and 4G never cuts off. I have already got a replacement phone, did factory reset, new SIM, called VZW, none of this works. I have to force it in LTE mode only by dialing *#*#4636#*#*.

I hope someone finds a fix soon, I have tried everything. It's not Verizon's side, it's a setting that I wish I could find.

sonrapper2k4

Reaction score
It isn't just the RAZRs. I have the RAZR and my sister has the DROID4. I never had a problem when I first got the phone or now. I have only lost data connectivity on 2.3.6. She is still on 2.3.6 and still has the problem. The only thing I can conclude is that the kernel running under 2.3.6 is bad. I have had no problem with 2.3.5 or 4.0.4.

OP
N

natemail

Reaction score
I've had a few issues start popping up again over the past few days but they seem to come and go. Since ICS my phone was about 100% good to go, but just a few days ago I had data drop out a few times while driving (the same 90 mile route I take weekly). Not sure what the issue is.

tebowrozay

Reaction score
I went to data usuage.. moved my data past 10 gigs and internet has been working perfectly!

tebowrozay

Reaction score
It has to be something with the Razr's. I put my SIM in my Thunderbolt and 4G never cuts off. I have already got a replacement phone, did factory reset, new SIM, called VZW, none of this works. I have to force it in LTE mode only by dialing *#*#4636#*#*.

I hope someone finds a fix soon, I have tried everything. It's not Verizon's side, it's a setting that I wish I could find.

ok i went to the settings went to data usuage set mobile data on then i set mine to 95550 gb limit i have unl then i put my warning label to 12552 and my internet has been working perfectly