RAZR Maxx compared to original RAZR

RAZRmax

Reaction score
I have an original RAZR and love it. I'm up for renewal in April and would not consider changing phones except for better battery life. If I upgrade to the current version of the Maxx will I be happy with it? Is it still the same phone as my original RAZR except for the much better battery life?

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
It's all that and more. (Droid Maxx by Motorola - A Google Company)

The old saying...less is more does hold true here. It's less of the MotoBlur so that will likely appeal to you. It's way faster, using the new X8 Mobile Computing system (X8 mobile computing system for Motorola - A Google Company), it has the ability to ramp up processing when necessary, but also to handle smaller tasks very efficiently.

View attachment 68911

There are a total of 8 customized core processors, a 1.7GHz Dual-Core Krait - the main CPU, a Quad-Core Adreno 320 Graphics Proccessing Unit, and two highly specialized processors, a natural language processor and a contextual computing processor. Together with 2GB of RAM, they give you a very smooth and snappy system that uses battery power very efficiently, while being able to handle the big tasks without being crushed.

The battery is 3,300mAh (website says 3,500mAh), which is a very large battery and is claimed to be able to offer 48 hours of operation per charge. The active notifications on the screen are a blessing and make the old-fashioned "LED" notification lights seem so 2012. The ability to talk to the phone and have it respond with valuable information or perform tasks without ever taking it out of your pocket is unbelievable and very powerful. I use it numerous times daily from checking weather, to requesting navigation, to sending emails and texts, to calling people in my contacts list. The commands available or widely diverse and powerful.

The phone has a beautiful 5" diagonal 720X1280 HD display, not perhaps as amazing as the most cutting edge out there, but for most people you'd never feel slighted. The entire back and sides of the phone are now completely wrapped in Kevlar, making it very easy to grip and highly resistant to scratches and fingerprints. The 10MP rear camera has been improved immensely, and the 2MP front camera is more than capable.

Some will complain about the battery not being removable, but being as powerful as it is, there's really no need for it to be removable. Some will complain that it doesn't have an SD Card slot, but with 32BG SD RAM on-board, and all the storage you can get on the clouds these days for free (15GB + an additional 50GB from Google, 50GB from Drop Box, 50GB from Box.com, etc.), coupled with the ability to send photos to other MAXX users, it's really less an issue than it was just one short year ago.

Sure, there are phones out there with better this and faster that, and bigger the other, but none (but Motorola), can claim the industry leading radios which provide reception and data transmission in the most remote areas, where other phones get no signal at all, and faster download times with lower signal levels than others. Also, it has the ROCK SOLID feel typical of Motorola phones of late...no "flimsy plastic" here, it's Corning® Gorilla® Glass 3 (http://www.corninggorillaglass.com/products-with-gorilla/motorola/DROID-MAXX-by-Motorola), Annodized Aluminum and Kevlar...all laminated into one very tight and sturdy package.[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

I think overall, if you like (or love) your RAZR, you are going to be thrilled and never disappointed with the MAXX.

IMHO, of course, YRMV.

Last edited: