Razr Maxx car dock not charging phone.

hoff48

Reaction score
I have the Verizon Razr Maxx car dock and it worked very well before ICS. Since the upgrade my phone does not charge while in the car dock. I do get the charging indicator on the batter icon but it does not seem to increase the battery percentage at all.
While in Navigation mode I do not even get the charging indicator. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or know of a setting some where that I am missing.

Thanks

jaybogg

Reaction score
I have the Verizon Razr Maxx car dock and it worked very well before ICS. Since the upgrade my phone does not charge while in the car dock. I do get the charging indicator on the batter icon but it does not seem to increase the battery percentage at all.
While in Navigation mode I do not even get the charging indicator. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this issue or know of a setting some where that I am missing.

Thanks

I took a trip this past week-end and tried to modulate the one of the problems you discussed. Here are my symptoms, corrective action, and results. I am not sure about the charging indicator problem, I am only addressing the discharge of the battery while using Google Navigation.

Symptom: While using Google Navigation for trips 3-5 hrs in duration, my Droid Razr would actually discharge 10-30% while on the car dock instead of charging. Phone was also very warm to the touch.

Corrective Action: Using LTE OnOff App, I turned LTE Off and used 3G mode for 3 1/2 hr trip. Phone was charged to 100% prior to leaving.

Results: At arrival at destination, phone was still at 100%. This was the first time I did not have a net discharge of 10-30%, so turning off LTE definitely modulated the problem. Phone was still warm to the touch at destination. In hindsight, I wish my phone would have been at 70-80% at the start of the trip so I could have seen if there was a net gain on the overall charge during the trip. I left in the morning and the phone was fresh off my HD Dock.

Side note: I noticed on the last couple trips Google Navigation dims after a few minutes to a level that makes it very hard to see the screen. When the App wants to give you directions IE. in 2 miles, keep right on Android Highway, the screen returns to normal brightness, then dims again once you complete the directions. The App used to not do this and I think this is Google's attempt to save power for this power hungry app. It freaked me out the first time it did it since it used to stay on the whole trip. Once I realized what it was doing, I liked it. If you do want to see the map momentarily, just touch the screen and it returns to normal brightness.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Good to know... I haven't used Google maps or navigation since my trip last February... I'll have to try this out...

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! are we vanquished yet?????:blink:

OP
H

hoff48

Reaction score
Jaybogg

Thank you for testing this for me. However I have an issue with this. I do not think that I should have to turn off options just to get my phone to charge. When I had GB I never had issues with it charging on my car dock, and it never got hot to the touch either. This tells me that there is some major bugs with this OS. Has anyone heard when the patch is coming and if this will be addressed with it? I have also heard that there are some car chargers that are 1 amp that are able to keep up with the battery drain. has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks to all for any help with this.

jaybogg

Reaction score
Jaybogg

Thank you for testing this for me. However I have an issue with this. I do not think that I should have to turn off options just to get my phone to charge. When I had GB I never had issues with it charging on my car dock, and it never got hot to the touch either. This tells me that there is some major bugs with this OS. Has anyone heard when the patch is coming and if this will be addressed with it? I have also heard that there are some car chargers that are 1 amp that are able to keep up with the battery drain. has anyone else heard of this?

Thanks to all for any help with this.

Actually, I had the net battery drain with GB as well when using Google Navigation. When I used the Car Dock as a hands free device, I had no problems. I realize my symptoms were not the same as yours, but thought I would report my results on your thread since it pertained to car docks and it could possibly help you.

I would have no problem using a 1 amp charger personally, but I would wait for FoxKat to weigh in on this as this is his area of expertise.