Razr Maxx Battery Issues?

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR MAXX' started by mcal24, Apr 3, 2013.

1. bruben7886

bruben7886 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    Sounds like you're on track. What skibum and I are trying to say is that JB is so good at shutting stuff off that doesn't need to run when the phone is asleep that it reports the os as being the process that uses the most battery % (bold) of the battery consumed during that time (close bold). Not much battery was consumed when the phone was asleep.....but of that low battery consumption, a high %age was the os.

2. _skibum

_skibum Member

Ratings:
    +4
    That is exactly what I am saying!

Easy test. Start up the phone and run some apps for a while. If the OS is running properly, they will end up above the OS in the list. After you stop using the apps, let the phone sit idle for a while. The OS should gradually climb towards the top again. It should not jump right back up to the top immediately.

I had to edit this because I re-read your post and saw: "...but as apps are turned on or used, then the processor basically forgets about OS and focuses on the app or apps turned on"

No.. .the OS is never forgotten. It is the one thing that absolutely must run all the time. There is an application, process, or service associated with every little thing that your phone does. Many of them are actually a part of the OS, and the rest are associated with apps you have installed, or hardware that is unique to the device that it is running on. When apps are started, they become a process. That process might launch additional processes to do some background work, or activate system services that will allow it to interface with specific pieces of HW in your phone. You can see these under manage apps as "running" or "cached" processes. Cached processes are loaded in memory, but not actively being used. This allows them to start very quickly when needed because the OS does not need to load them into memory and create "contexts" for them. To understand a context, you need to remember that a CPU core can only run 1 process at any point in time. How can the phone do so many things at once? Easy, it runs some of each process or service for a little bit of time (called a time slice) in rapid succession. Kinda like those little books that show a movie when you flip the pages. Each page is a still image, but by giving each page a brief slice of time in rapid succession, we see a movng image. Same concept. The OS controls task scheduling. Every process that needs to run gets a context. The context contains a chunk of memory, which holds the program code, any data that the program uses, as well as a copy of the CPU core's registers. To make everything run, the OS makes a list of contexts, and simply jumps from one to another doing a little bit of work on each one. To us, it is all happening at the same time. On a 2 core CPU, the OS will manage 2 task lists, and all of the contexts associated with the processes running on each core. The OS is working its ass off all the time. If you are not running any apps, the OS is still bouncing around running all of the processes that do the basic stuff, but there are lots of empty time slices between the ones that the OS uses for itself. As you run apps, the OS simply does more stuff by filling in the empty time slices with processes.
    Does that make better sense?

Last edited: Apr 9, 2013
  3. TriciaH

TriciaH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Wow. I actually understood that explanation! Guess that also explains why task killers are battery killers too...the OS has to keep starting the processes it needs when the task killer shuts it down. Pretty fantastic little device we have here.

4. bruben7886

bruben7886 Active Member

Ratings:
    +273
    I would pay good money to hear FoxKat and skibum argue
    :)

5. _skibum

_skibum Member

Ratings:
    +4
    No way. Foxkat knows a lot more about Android phones than I ever will. I'm just an old computer geek that happens to know OSs.

And yeah, task killers really can screw with the OS. If you do not want something running on your phone, remove it, or find a way to stop it from running.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  6. TriciaH

TriciaH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Mcal24 - how is your battery life doing over the last couple days?

7. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry for not responding in a while, I basically gave up. Now I want to try again. The battery still is having some drops and sometimes won't get through the day, no where near like it was when I got it. A few days ago, I factory reset my phone, and after using it a day, the battery might have been a little better, but it still had a 10-20% drop off. Since I reset my phone, do you think this means the problem might be on my sd card, as that is the only thing I didn't wipe? I also have my phone rooted now. Thanks!

8. TriciaH

TriciaH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Do you know what app/process is draining the battery? Sometimes is weird things that you would never suspect. Did you put all the apps back on after the FDR? You could move your SD card contents to your computer, format it and then put the items back on. I think a corrupted file could cause battery drain by mediaserver continuously trying to read the file. My last battery drop turned out to be Viber. GSam now tells you what app/process is keeping the phone awake which is a giant help in trouble shooting battery issues. That was how I found out Audio_Out2 was my culprit keeping the phone awake. Believe me I know how frustrating this can be! Took me weeks of trying to figure out what was using the battery on mine. I know nothing about rooting so I am of no help there.

9. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It still says kernel is at the top, and yesterday my held awake time under kernel was 10 hours. I had to format my SD card earlier because it became corrupted, so I backed up files to my computer and formatted it. Apparently that didn't make a difference. This screenshot is at the beginning of my battery life, so its probably not as accurate yet.

View attachment 62700

10. TriciaH

TriciaH Member

Ratings:
    +8
    Your kernel time is not that much. See the little gray arrow under the clock on your image? Tap that on your phone and choose "view time held awake". See what is at the top of that. The kernel has to run - the phone doesn't run without it. My kernel right now is at 24.7%.

11. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Again, my phone has only been unplugged for about 2.5 hours, but here's the screenshot. There's more stuff to scroll down on under kernel, if you think seeing that might help.

View attachment 62701
    View attachment 62702

12. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I was doing some Google searches, and someone said to try and flash a new kernel. Can anyone explain to me how to do this?

13. avenged61973

avenged61973 Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I'm not an expert on flashing roms but there are plenty of threads on here for that.

I did receive 3 different replacement phones from Verizon and all three phones had the same battery drops. I literally tried everything with them. I did meter calibrations right out of the box. Didn't download any apps. Didn't root the phone.

They sent me a brand new razr. It still had ics on it. I updated to jelly bean and started having issues. I ended up buying a used maxx with a broken screen off of eBay. Switched the battery's and the chassis and have not had a problem. This was about 2 weeks ago. Other razr users are having the same problems with battery drops. It might be a software issue with the smaller batteries I'm not sure.

If I find any info I will get back to you.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

14. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I'll keep digging around to see what I can find.

15. mcal24

mcal24 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    So I figured out my battery always jumps from around 40% to around 20%. It has always been dropping off right around this point over the last couple days.

Search tags for this page
droid maxx battery replacement
droid razr maxx battery draining quickly

droid razr maxx battery issues

droid razr maxx battery problems

droid razr maxx battery replacement

droid razr maxx hd battery problems

razr maxx battery drain

razr maxx battery life problem

razr maxx battery problems

replace razr maxx battery